• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

Tnoob

I've heard that you should never use potting soil. Vermiculite as an addition to coco fiber too. Lots of people use different things. Coco fiber is very inexpensive and will go far. Especially after you figure out you have a problem and can't stop buying them... Just saying...

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He has Grammostola Pulchripes and a Brachypelma Albopilosum so no reason to mix spagnum moss as it's used to retain moisture within the sub and they are a species that prefer it drier.

Also there is nothing wrong with using potting soil as long as it's organic. It's only non organic which doesn't have a guarantee to be free of any fertilisers or pesticides which is best to avoid

Tnoob

It's funny you say that. My enclosures with sphagnum moss are significantly more dry than the ones without it.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your quite persistent in carrying on pointless arguement aren't you?

Spagnam moss only assists in aeration and carries antimicrobial properties if it's saturated. If it's dried it's pretty much doing nothing. In an enclosure where the substrate is dry where is it going to obtain moisture?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
By the way that's a rhetorical question (if you don't understand that word you should google that aswell). I don't care for your answer as it's 3am and you words mean nothing.

Night princess

Tnoob

By the way that's a rhetorical question (if you don't understand that word you should google that aswell). I don't care for your answer as it's 3am and you words mean nothing.

Night princess
Says the snowflake who doesn't know the difference between a question and a sentence.

Tnoob

You'd think a European like yourself would know the Scottish and Irish use dry sphagnum to prevent infection as late as the 1800.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1800s medicine being so good it's still used today... not the point thou.

Do you seriously not understand? Like seriously? Your getting upset and angry over nothing. You said something about adding moss to coco fibre. I didn't even say you were wrong just that it's not needed but you don't like someone saying what you said is irrelevant (95% of what you post) but then you have to try and prove pointlessly that you know more than someone else even if it is all googled.

Tnoob

@InternetSwag , bro if it doesn't come from a pet supply company, I wouldn't use it. I wouldn't use anything but cocofiber, vermiculite, peat moss, and sphagnum moss. In fact, I know animal rescues in the valley where I live who would have taken and completely rehoused this dudes animals. These things are quite an investment. Good sources to verify my information are the American tarantula society, Tom Moran, and there's a few other credible sources that are actually scientifically backed sources I'm sure you can find, and tarantulapedia.com is a great place to look as Well. This sites okay, but be prepared for an echo chamber. A few will just give you whatever information they think they have based on whatever "personal experience" they have. Which is unverifiable. So take the time to do the research as well. Congratulations on your new friends.

Tnoob

1800s medicine being so good it's still used today... not the point thou.

Do you seriously not understand? Like seriously? Your getting upset and angry over nothing. You said something about adding moss to coco fibre. I didn't even say you were wrong just that it's not needed but you don't like someone saying what you said is irrelevant (95% of what you post) but then you have to try and prove pointlessly that you know more than someone else even if it is all googled.
What's wrong, you don't like research?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There you go again giving poor advice.

I like research. But on the spot google searches just to try come across as being knowledgeable is laughable.

Obviously all Europeans except me knew about moss being used in the 1800s. How stupid of me to not know a fact that you found on google 45 seconds before you posted it. I feel embarrassed now ngl

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
IMG_20190802_235109.jpg

Munch munch. Now where the f is the beer?

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So I witnessed the coolest thing ever. I took a roach that was a bit big, about the same size of a sling and broke him in half, but he could still run like crazy. I wasn't expecting that.
I threw him in my Vagan's Sling Enclosure so see if it would pounce on him - it didn't. Instead it stalked him. Came out the burrow and everytime the roach moved the sling would move with him, keeping his front facing the roach at all times. I thought the roach would die but when I woke up, the same thing was still continuing, I poked the roach and it ran and my sling followed after him and stalked him again.

I don't know T behaviour that well, but it was as if he was waiting for it to die. I felt a bit bad for the roach so I just crushed his head then, it couldn't be nice being broken in half - unless he can molt and survive? idk. But then he could be a threat to my sling.

It was pretty cool, but in hindsight it could have just been stressing my T out? Once again idk.