• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
which substrate is better
2IFVliR.jpg

On the left is bought substrate. on the right is made substrate (palm peat and potting soil)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I want to ask what the following means? Google couldn't help me.

Pokeys
OBT

Also if WC food is so bad with pesticides, how do spiders even survive in the city?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I want to ask what the following means? Google couldn't help me.

Pokeys
OBT

Also if WC food is so bad with pesticides, how do spiders even survive in the city?

The main reason wc feeders aren't recommended is the risk of pesticides. You could use only wc and never have an issue. But it really isn't worth risking.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This might be a stupid question, but seeing as this is my room I want to make sure.

Let's say my T's are in my room and someone sprays something like Raid in their room (which is opposite mine) could it harm my T's? I just need to cover every base and protect these little guys.

The best thing to do is your home is getting sprayed or whatever is to move the entire T cage out of the residence for at least 24 hours. (Apartment company doing units etc)

Failing that, using large ziplock bags or plastic bags, triple bag the entire enclosure before the spraying & then keep it in as well ventilated area as possible until it's complete. I'd allow at least 24 hours before putting them bank into the room.

Unlike roaches or other wild/pest insects, tarantulas have no inborn resistance or tolerance to pesticides.

The same is also true for parasites or diseases as well. This is why you should never feed wild caught feeders to your tarantulas.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
The best thing to do is your home is getting sprayed or whatever is to move the entire T cage out of the residence for at least 24 hours. (Apartment company doing units etc)

Failing that, using large ziplock bags or plastic bags, triple bag the entire enclosure before the spraying & then keep it in as well ventilated area as possible until it's complete. I'd allow at least 24 hours before putting them bank into the room.

Unlike roaches or other wild/pest insects, tarantulas have no inborn resistance or tolerance to pesticides.

The same is also true for parasites or diseases as well. This is why you should never feed wild caught feeders to your tarantulas.

That's terrifying.
I never spray doom/raid at all. But I suspect/fear that someone in my house might at some point without thinking. I'll just tell em to please warn me beforehand.

But that's a really good idea. So the ziplocks won't suffocate them?

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
enLv2fP.jpg

How much sunlight is ok? I saw a lot of Exotic Lairs Tarantula's died during a heatwave...
Its 15:20 and I opened my curtains for 20 minutes while cleaning my room.

Obviously this little sun won't do any damage, but what could? Where is too much?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
enLv2fP.jpg

How much sunlight is ok? I saw a lot of Exotic Lairs Tarantula's died during a heatwave...
Its 15:20 and I opened my curtains for 20 minutes while cleaning my room.

Obviously this little sun won't do any damage, but what could? Where is too much?

Your probably right that 20mins is ok but I personally wouldn't let any direct sunlight hit the enclosure. You ever sat in a hot car with the windows open just a tiny crack? After 5 mins your already suffering. It doesn't take long for the temperature inside to reach dangerous levels. Maybe move them right to the back of the shelf if it stays in shadow. They'll still get light, but not direct light.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Do you think a pinhead cricket can harm a sling?
I tried feeding my slings that wouldn't eat prekilled roaches pinhead crickets.
Two ate immediately, the other two just ignored them. But they're alive and a nuisance to catch. Can I just leave them?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you think a pinhead cricket can harm a sling?
I tried feeding my slings that wouldn't eat prekilled roaches pinhead crickets.
Two ate immediately, the other two just ignored them. But they're alive and a nuisance to catch. Can I just leave them?

I personally wouldn't leave crickets in with a T no matter the size. If you prekill the crickets and leave them overnight the slings will eat if hungry. If not then take the cricket out and try again in a few days or a week or so.

Latest posts