• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Yes heh, their enclosures will be in that space.
Looks like they're arriving today. I'll make the enclosures today once I get the substrate and everything.

Those two eclosures look really good, I'm sure little spider in there is super happy.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Okay here we go!

I had my T's sent to my friends house, as I wasn't home. He then put them out of the pill boxes and into temporary enclosures. When I got to him later we both put them over. I got to hold both of them temporarily while moving them over to their permanent enclosures. You'll see a vid of one of em walking on his hand, not mine. Driving them home I was kind of stressed, put them in a bag with lots of padding so they wouldn't bounce around and drove slowly home.

Home now and they seem fine.

I got my two tarantula's today. I got; Brachypelma Albopilosum (JoJo) and Grammostola Pulchripes (Dio)
XJ2CfnJ.jpg

Arrived in pill boxes such as these.
Good lord, they are tiny. I did not realize they were THIS small. Poor little things, I just want to take care of them and make sure they don't get hurt.
I rehoused them by letting them walk onto my hand and then putting my hand by the new enclosure. They pretty much just strolled straight in.
DZ1l5Mb.mp4

JoJo started burrowing within 5 minutes
CzTRdEe.jpg

Dio went to sit behind this plant and is chilling there now
HIXyl95.jpg

Last edited:

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Tried to post a vid 1 sec

giphy.gif

Gonna leave them now for a day or two, so they can settle. Then I will try to feed them a dead roach.

Last edited:

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
A few more questions;
Are they sensitive to light? If I can't find them and I use my phones flashlight to try and spot them would that be very bad for them?
I bought roaches, but left them at my friends house so he can try and make a colony, he gave me 10 smallish ones. Shall I feed them tomato or somesuch? Will the roaches mate?

Thanks! I'm so happy

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
My Albopilosum has dug nicely, looks like he made a little burrow with two entrances.
My Pulchrapes has just wandered around on top a bit.

Gave them each a prekilled roach, just left it there. Will see if they eat it. If not I'll take it out.

So, my friend has told me the following;

I should try to feed them every 3 days. If they decline, try again in 3 days. If they accept. Try again in 4 days.
Is this correct?

And he said I must wet one corner of the enclosure 2x a week.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Light from phone would be fine but they can be light sensitive so I wouldn't hold it up to them for too long if they look distressed.

They might need some time to settle in. As slings albos and pulchripes don't eat as often as other species might. Once a week will be fine. Just leave a dead roach overnight and they'll take it if they want it.

If you have a waterdish then It's not as important to wet down the enclosure. They prefer the sub to be dry.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I like to use tablet buttons for dishes but it isn’t too big in that your sling won’t drown. It’ll be fine. I wouldn’t overflow it thou as it’ll make the enclosure too wet for an Albo or a pulchripes.

The dark spot is it’s urticating hairs , cute aren’t they :)

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I like to use tablet buttons for dishes but it isn’t too big in that your sling won’t drown. It’ll be fine. I wouldn’t overflow it thou as it’ll make the enclosure too wet for an Albo or a pulchripes.

The dark spot is it’s urticating hairs , cute aren’t they :)
Honestly, that is just brilliant! I never would have thought of using tablet buttons thank you

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly, that is just brilliant! I never would have thought of using tablet buttons thank you

I can’t remember who first mentioned it to me possible Enn but even thou it makes complete sense you never think of it :)
Just make sure you give it a little wash out before using them just so you can remove residue from the tablets

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
How often do you feed your roaches? I have about 10. I restock from my friend.
But obviously 10 roaches will last me long af
I put in some tomato but after 3 days it got moldy. I took it out, no mold in the rest of the container - is that ok? Are these roaches now bad I shouldn't feed them to my T's? I put in some dog food and an almond
And how often should I refill my water dishes? Do roaches also need water?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look in the feeders section on forum. I don't keep roaches so reluctant to give any answers as I just don't know tbh.

As far as watering Ts slings have smaller dishes so I give fresh water twice a week. But if it's cooler then I can get away with once a week. As long as they have something to hydrate from then you should be fine

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Was that antscanada? He keeps ants. So do I.

I know the video you mean. Was his T that passed I believe. I don’t keep ants or ever plan on owning any but I do find his channel fascinating, even if he does like to say omg and ac family every 30 seconds :D good editing on his part

nedaK

I know the video you mean. Was his T that passed I believe. I don’t keep ants or ever plan on owning any but I do find his channel fascinating, even if he does like to say omg and ac family every 30 seconds :D good editing on his part
I hate that guy, he seems to think he knows everything about them, and he doesn’t.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
The roach that won't die
I just fed my two slings, I took a roach and crushed it a bit and put it in my albipilosum enclosure and it snapped him up almost immediately.

I crushed another roaches abdomen and its guts came out and put it in my Pulchrapes enclosure and it wouldn't stop moving, thought that'd be a good thing but my pulchrapes was in hiding so I didn't wanna take a risk. Crushed his head and he stops moving. I check a minute later and he's kicking his legs like crazy, managed to reach the side of the enclosure and kick his legs 'basically walking' on the side of the enclosure sideways like a breakdancer all the way to my Pulchrapes. Who then moved in the other direction and seemingly hid. Crushed roach some more. Still moving. Eventually decapitated his already dangling head just in case. But damn, this roach wouldn't die.

Latest posts