• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
fZsf2xv.jpg

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Yo so just a question.
My B albipilosum sling, quite big now maybe 3.5cm.

I fed him a mealworm, it was about the same size as him, maybe a bit smaller. Could this have injured him? Because I put the worm in his enclosure and he immediately jumped him, was a feeding response.
Worm kinda struggled for a second or two and then went limp. About a minute later the worm freaked and span like crazy, but my T moved with him as he span and eventually died.

I know a mealworm is soft but could it harm a T? Cause 1 hour later I saw my T rubbing it's fangs with it's pedipalps. Just left the mealworm.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Meal worms are fine but for a tiny sling I would crush the head. If your using super worms (morio worms) I would crush the head for slings/juveniles as they have strong mandibles and could potentially harm. Not saying it will but I prefer to eliminate any potential.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
That was a big meal I agree. I also crush the head before offering meal/super worms. As far as the fang rubbing, that could be grooming. They are pretty clean creatures. I often catch my hamorii in some stage of grooming after a meal
This ended up being what he was doing.
I didn't realize tarantulas do that.
The worm is 80% gone he still eating
So he killed it
Groomed himself
Then ate it
Not sure why

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Thanks guys I not too sure what is too small for an abdomen and what isn't.
Most T I see the abdomen is much larger than the carapace