• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Couldn't find him. He's only like 1.5cm so he could be anywhere or already dead.
Emptied my room looking.
I honestly think either some spider ate him or he escaped and a bird ate him.
Tho I am hopeful that I just randomly spot him one day and am like there you are!!
Coz he had just eaten so he should be fine for a long time if he's alive
It's just sad seeing his empty enclosure kinda mad coz I paid a guy to build this enclosure and it has a design flaw smh

AndrewClayton

Couldn't find him. He's only like 1.5cm so he could be anywhere or already dead.
Emptied my room looking.
I honestly think either some spider ate him or he escaped and a bird ate him.
Tho I am hopeful that I just randomly spot him one day and am like there you are!!
Coz he had just eaten so he should be fine for a long time if he's alive
It's just sad seeing his empty enclosure kinda mad coz I paid a guy to build this enclosure and it has a design flaw smh
I wish you all the best in finding you’re little guy, I lost a P Regalis that was under an inch and found it like 3 weeks later just chilling in my cupboard and nearly an inch bigger dunno what it was eating but it had moulted and nearly doubled in size lol I thought it was dead to as I live in Scotland and it was winter time

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hope you find it. If a house spider doesn't prey on it or it doesn't die due to lack of water or food, it will be hiding somewhere. Like @AndrewClayton says look up high + look for webbing. Take a torch to bed and check the walls and ceiling periodically, as that is the time you may catch it wandering. When the main light gets switched on they tend to rush to hide and then you don't see them anywhere.
I assume you've already checked shoes, wardrobes, underneath and at the back of furniture.
Good luck, hope you get it back!

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
ByBNBCD.jpg

in2dELC.jpg

YOUR ROACH KIND IS NOT WELCOME HERE!

Tschorm

Pretty sure he is hidding behind some furniture all day long at the moment when he just has eaten, if your door isnt having big enough gabs and the windows are shut he will have a hard time to get out off the house, I guess, but fingers crossed you will find it soon =)

I got another small question, because last time I asked about humidity, my B. Vagans likes to burrow whats fine, but on the same hand I´m a little afraid off mold in his burrow, because when he is catching his food he likes to eat it down there, but he is`nt bringing the remains up, like the B. Auratum he always puts everything he wants gone in his waterdish ,whats pretty cool^^ I´m afraid that at some point those remains in the burrow can/will start molding, and the only solution that comes to my mind is to rehouse him, there is no way to get down there with even the big tongs =/ Anyone a good idear, or is it not a big deal? Can´t tell have not enough practise with those things, still a noob that´s a bit overcoutious.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
I cleaned my room today. Found 6 spiders lol. 5 seemed to be these really tiny ones, like half the size of your pinky nail. Just left them, they scurry about when disturbed. Found 1 bigish true spider. The size of my thumbnail.

But no avic avic. I'm giving up on him now. It's unhealthy for me to be looking everywhere like this all the time. I need to focus on other stuff.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
My LP is rather viscous so I was curious and I slightly crushed a roach bigger than him, to see if he would attack it. He did, I heard the crack of his fangs on the roaches back - too hard. He left it, it ran and came around and they went at it for like 4 seconds rolling around before they separated. Spider wasn't interested after that. Crushed the roach a bit more. Checked a few minutes later LP was draining him dry. This morning he was still eating him. He basically just left the hard shell part and a bit of the abdomen.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I got another small question, because last time I asked about humidity, my B. Vagans likes to burrow whats fine, but on the same hand I´m a little afraid off mold in his burrow, because when he is catching his food he likes to eat it down there, but he is`nt bringing the remains up, like the B. Auratum he always puts everything he wants gone in his waterdish ,whats pretty cool^^ I´m afraid that at some point those remains in the burrow can/will start molding, and the only solution that comes to my mind is to rehouse him, there is no way to get down there with even the big tongs =/ Anyone a good idear, or is it not a big deal? Can´t tell have not enough practise with those things, still a noob that´s a bit overcoutious.

You've got what some people call a 'mould farmer' lol!! I've got a couple like that who never bring up boluses.

As long as the substrate is more on the dryish side (the damper the substrate the more chance of mould) which it should be with a vagans (occasional overflowing of the waterdish should be fine), I wouldn't worry as spiders web up their food remains to stop it moulding & the mould spreading. You may even find that it will eventually take some out itself.

Obviously, if over time the boluses or uneaten prey build up and you start seeing mould then I would personally try to scoop it out (obviously wrecking the burrow in the process). I'd wait until the spider was out before doing so, or I'd lure it out. Or if it was really bad then I'd rehouse. Maybe others would do it differently.

Tschorm

Should be fine for a while, I can´t really see into the burrow, he was really hardworking on it for over 3 days, I knew they like to burrow so I gave him plenty off substrate and made a really big pre burrow but he has built himself a mansion down there, think rehouse will be the only option when things go bad, hopefully it will take a long time, can only check the one corner in the back from time to time. Got a little mold problem on my P. Metallica enclosure, guess the substrate was still to damp as I have made the setup, had 2 small outbrakes around the waterdish, have put it in another corner, liftet the frontlid a little to let fresh air in and got rid of that corner off substrate, hopefully it will not regrow until it gets a little dryer or I have to completly make a new setup =/ Should have let it stay open for 1-2 days before putting the spider in, to let most off the moisture escape.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Should be fine for a while, I can´t really see into the burrow, he was really hardworking on it for over 3 days, I knew they like to burrow so I gave him plenty off substrate and made a really big pre burrow but he has built himself a mansion down there, think rehouse will be the only option when things go bad, hopefully it will take a long time, can only check the one corner in the back from time to time. Got a little mold problem on my P. Metallica enclosure, guess the substrate was still to damp as I have made the setup, had 2 small outbrakes around the waterdish, have put it in another corner, liftet the frontlid a little to let fresh air in and got rid of that corner off substrate, hopefully it will not regrow until it gets a little dryer or I have to completly make a new setup =/ Should have let it stay open for 1-2 days before putting the spider in, to let most off the moisture escape.

It'll dry out eventually!

AndrewClayton

L9wTndE.jpg

Is this molt stuck? What do I do
It's right by the booty and im worried about impaction
Don’t worry, let youre T harden up to start with giving it a week or 2 ot will just drag the old skin around with it, when it hardend lift the sling out onto a towel of some sort it gives them extra grip and soak the end of a Q tip in warm water and rub gently where the old exoskeleton is joined to the new and tug very gently on old exoskeleton, you can also cut bits free just be very careful at this size, because it has completed the moult you can interfere with it now to help it out. I had the same happen to a g Pulchripes it got a full leg and part of the abdomen stuck here are before and after pics: this is it on my trouser leg for grip
AC2166FE-422F-4FAE-BBA5-72BFC6F508F7.jpeg

And here it is now just about to moult and hopefully grow that leg back
DDFBD49F-28FF-44B0-8579-D7AFBAAD356A.jpeg

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Don’t worry, let youre T harden up to start with giving it a week or 2 ot will just drag the old skin around with it, when it hardend lift the sling out onto a towel of some sort it gives them extra grip and soak the end of a Q tip in warm water and rub gently where the old exoskeleton is joined to the new and tug very gently on old exoskeleton, you can also cut bits free just be very careful at this size, because it has completed the moult you can interfere with it now to help it out. I had the same happen to a g Pulchripes it got a full leg and part of the abdomen stuck here are before and after pics: this is it on my trouser leg for grip View attachment 41144
And here it is now just about to moult and hopefully grow that leg backView attachment 41143
That is dope as hell. You did a good job there.
I will definitely try that cute lil guy there
Yup he looks see through atm so i wont mess with him now

AndrewClayton

That is dope as hell. You did a good job there.
I will definitely try that cute lil guy there
Yup he looks see through atm so i wont mess with him now
Because of the moult you won’t have to worry about impaction either as you’re T won’t have ate for a little while now and won’t eat until it’s hardened So impaction should be a non issue atm, keep us updated on the little guy

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
2HiRO1U.jpg

Update on Smithi, still soft, can tell by looking at him. I hope he is ok. I will try the method Andrew explained to me in a week or so. I want him to harden up.
Can I leave a prekill in his enclosure so long?
ZlVQUgR.jpg

Also these little beetle type things, I got them with my roaches I bought a month ago. Just ignored them, but there's quite a few and very small. Can I feed them to my slings?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
With the smithi, it looks like it got stuck on the urticating hairs. I'd be tempted to dip a soft paintbrush in water and gently brush it over the bit that's stuck in the hope that it'll soften and slide off (without moving the sling out of the enclosure). The sling may be able to get it to slide off as it moves around. Though if anyone thinks he should wait the week first for it to fully harden, please post on here.
Overflowing the waterdish should help increase the humidity in the enclosure and that should help with extricating the old moult too.
Don't see why you can't remove pre-killed now. Just work around the little guy.

Latest posts