• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
3doDSgB.jpg

You won't fricken believe the way my avic escaped

InternetSwag

3 Year Member

When I left home, she was sitting in her enclosure.
Got home, huh, can't see her. Probably behind the corkbark, something just told me, check. I check. WTF where is my spider?
Check the enclosure entirely, gone. Check the corner where she usually sits - a tiny gap. WTH, she moved the acrylic enough to get out. And her enclosure is huge, weird that she would even try to escape.
Little explorer

AndrewClayton

When I left home, she was sitting in her enclosure.
Got home, huh, can't see her. Probably behind the corkbark, something just told me, check. I check. WTF where is my spider?
Check the enclosure entirely, gone. Check the corner where she usually sits - a tiny gap. WTH, she moved the acrylic enough to get out. And her enclosure is huge, weird that she would even try to escape.
Little explorer
If there is a way for you’re T to get out they will find it always good to make sure everything is secure and air holes aren’t to big.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
So my B. Albipolosum hasn't eaten in 28 days. I haven't offered him food either, he sealed himself shut in his burrow but I can still see him from the side of the container as he burrowed down the side of the plastic. He moves a lot and is quite active, but at what point should I try to feed him again anyways? I mean if I put a roach in, is he gonna go busting through his sealed burrow to catch it? I think not.
Do I just leave him? He is only 1.5cm

AndrewClayton

So my B. Albipolosum hasn't eaten in 28 days. I haven't offered him food either, he sealed himself shut in his burrow but I can still see him from the side of the container as he burrowed down the side of the plastic. He moves a lot and is quite active, but at what point should I try to feed him again anyways? I mean if I put a roach in, is he gonna go busting through his sealed burrow to catch it? I think not.
If you’re T blocks it’s burrow off it generally means do not disturb. I’d just leave it make sure it has water it will come out on it’s own don’t worry

Tschorm

Have a pretty similar question, got a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling it hasnt burrowed but spun itself a web like a canopy, pretty dense with no entry/exit and sits under it, my bigger one have done the same in premolt, is it a normal behavior for this species when in premolt or is she just chilling out? She is not reacting to food crawling over the web

AndrewClayton

Have a pretty similar question, got a chromatopelma cyaneopubescens sling it hasnt burrowed but spun itself a web like a canopy, pretty dense with no entry/exit and sits under it, my bigger one have done the same in premolt, is it a normal behavior for this species when in premolt or is she just chilling out? She is not reacting to food crawling over the web
GBB’s won’t really use a hide/burrow as such you should just provide anchor points and it will make web tunnels over time, if it’s not reacting to the food just remove it, it’s either not hungry or premoult. Just because I say premoult too doesn’t mean the moult will be soon if overfed some spiders will fast for a lengthy period before a moult.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member

My B. Albo did the same thing after just a week of refusing food then just last night I found it wandering around the enclosure. It gladly took a small dubia roach. My albo is about 1.5" - 2" and feeds like there is no tomorrow. In fact its a little on the heavy side so may have to skip another week of feeding. I always leave him/her when it decides to block off its hide entrance. I figured it should be getting ready to molt. Also, tarantulas can go a long time without feeding.. Though they are most deffinitely opportunistic feeders. My B. Albo and my Cyriocosmus Aueri both have never gone more than a week without feeding even when theyre abdomens are quite large, where my Caribena Laeta will always refuse a dubia if its not hungry and has gone up to 3 months refusing food.

Heres a picture of my Albo's hide after it closed it off.. Can even see some its legs from its last molt in the substrate :)

20190909_170745.jpg

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Three fricken molts in 1 day;
Albipolosum - same one I said I was worried about
2x Vagans, named freebie and nameless as they were both freebies probably same egg sac. They all molted in the last 24 hours time frame, this morning I woke up, 1x vagans had molted. Got home tonight after work, Albi and 1x other vagans molted.

ejWKcB0.jpg

JBSf5HT.jpg

ByeBK4h.jpg

My albi's 1 leg seems stuck, perhaps the pedipalp too. I'll just check on him.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My albi's 1 leg seems stuck, perhaps the pedipalp too. I'll just check on him.

It’ll be fine. Will either free them on it’s own or drop the leg and pedipalp. I had a Versi sling moult and get a leg and pedipalp stuck and it dropped them. As far as I’m aware it’s still doing just fine and will grow them back without any issue.

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
It’ll be fine. Will either free them on it’s own or drop the leg and pedipalp. I had a Versi sling moult and get a leg and pedipalp stuck and it dropped them. As far as I’m aware it’s still doing just fine and will grow them back without any issue.
Awesome

babyjacks

Hey guys, I'm currently looking at getting into Tarantula's. I find them pretty fascinating, but I'm also worried about getting one and treating it badly. I have a few questions;

I really want to get a sling, I want a baby that I can feed and watch grow over time. Is this advised? Are slings particularly frail or have high mortality rates?
Can Tarantula's live together? I believe they can't. Are they simply creatures that live alone?
I hear they are very immobile animals, sometimes sitting in their burrows for weeks sometimes, waiting for prey. So how can you tell if your spider is hungry or sick or about to molt?
Why are all Tarantula boxes so small? I would think in the wild they have all the space in the forest. Or do they just stay wherever they are born?
Does having a Tarantula in your house/room naturally deter other insects or spiders from entering your house/room? Can they sense it? What are the odds of a bug getting into an enclosure. What about ants? I feel like ants would be a big problem.

Sorry if I asked stupid questions, I'm legit so interested.
Hi! I’m Jackie. I’m also fairly new to all this tarantula stuff. I had gotten my first T at a pet store(c. Sellatus), then ordered 4 slings online. My advice is to not buy slings yet. Out of those 4 slings, I only have 2 left. I believe one (c. Versicolor) died because I didn’t provide proper ventilation. My other one, b. Emilia or b. Hamorii (couldn't tell) I believe died bc my room was too cold. My c. Sellatus died bc it was a male(was definitely looking for a female) and also I believe it had a parasite. So now i have only my b. Albopilosum (who is growing so fast :’) and b. Hamorii or Emilia(can’t tell yet lol). I regret spending $ on slings, I feel like I should’ve just gotten an adult. But oh well. I just got a juvenile avic avic so we’ll see how that goes. Sorry this might not be very useful.

AndrewClayton

Hi! I’m Jackie. I’m also fairly new to all this tarantula stuff. I had gotten my first T at a pet store(c. Sellatus), then ordered 4 slings online. My advice is to not buy slings yet. Out of those 4 slings, I only have 2 left. I believe one (c. Versicolor) died because I didn’t provide proper ventilation. My other one, b. Emilia or b. Hamorii (couldn't tell) I believe died bc my room was too cold. My c. Sellatus died bc it was a male(was definitely looking for a female) and also I believe it had a parasite. So now i have only my b. Albopilosum (who is growing so fast :’) and b. Hamorii or Emilia(can’t tell yet lol). I regret spending $ on slings, I feel like I should’ve just gotten an adult. But oh well. I just got a juvenile avic avic so we’ll see how that goes. Sorry this might not be very useful.
I’m sorry to hear that I really am but the truth of it is slings aren’t as fragile as you say you must just have had really bad luck or you’re slings weren’t packaged properly yes some slings are weaker and might not make it to adulthood but ultimately starting with slings is probably the best way to go