• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few questions about Tarantula's

AndrewClayton

Update on Smithi, still soft, can tell by looking at him. I hope he is ok. I will try the method Andrew explained to me in a week or so. I want him to harden up.
Can I leave a prekill in his enclosure so long?
ZlVQUgR.jpg

Also these little beetle type things, I got them with my roaches I bought a month ago. Just ignored them, but there's quite a few and very small. Can I feed them to my slings?
Yeah I’d rehouse the LP just my preference though as it could stay in that for another moult.
Yeah you’re smithi is still quite soft I wouldn’t risk it as the old exoskeleton doesn’t look to be obstructing it in any way so you can let it harden before soaking the old skin to loosen it off ,what @Jess S said may be right it does look to just be stuck on the patch of urticating hair so it should be pretty easy to remove when it comes the time.
The beetles you get in with crickets are from the Dermestidae family (Skin Beetles) they start as little furry maggot sized worms, you can feed them to you’re slings but I have found not many slings will entertain them 1 of my 2 H sp Cameroon slings take them and the other just totally refuses and others it’s just a hit and miss. Also yes pre killed can be left in but I wouldn’t leave it any longer than 48 hours at very most as it will start to rot and attract mould. Best just pre killing and leaving 24 hours then remove and wait again a few days and try the same again when offering pre killed

Last edited:

Tschorm

Hy, got a question about my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens adult female, she is´nt webbing a lot and I am not sure why =/
Got also a sling thats maybe 1,5 cm at the moment he almost has webt his entire enclosure by now, and thats dispite the fact that its probably way to big for him at the moment oO
Not sure if something is not right with the female, or if its because off a lot off stress during her premolt.
The story is, that the last owner had sold her back to the shop after 4 jears, but she was at that moment in premolt and I got her a week after that, two days later she moltet at my side, she layed down a web where she was molting on and thats it, like one and a half month now, she is just sitting on it or on some branches eating and drinking like a champ, but not doing anything else, unlike her smaller version. Not sure if something is wrong or if she is just diffrent.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hy, got a question about my Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens adult female, she is´nt webbing a lot and I am not sure why =/
Got also a sling thats maybe 1,5 cm at the moment he almost has webt his entire enclosure by now, and thats dispite the fact that its probably way to big for him at the moment oO
Not sure if something is not right with the female, or if its because off a lot off stress during her premolt.
The story is, that the last owner had sold her back to the shop after 4 jears, but she was at that moment in premolt and I got her a week after that, two days later she moltet at my side, she layed down a web where she was molting on and thats it, like one and a half month now, she is just sitting on it or on some branches eating and drinking like a champ, but not doing anything else, unlike her smaller version. Not sure if something is wrong or if she is just diffrent.

If you could post a photo of the enclosure, then it may help somebody suggest a couple changes to encourage that webbing behaviour.
Other than that, she may need a some more time to regain strength after the moult and then start settling in and webbing, or she may be not much of a webber! There's always the odd spider who doesn't behave typically of its species.

AndrewClayton

Because of the condition you bought it in (premoult) and presumably you put it in a new enclosure, and with it being an adult will just take longer to settle in just give it time, post some pics of you’re entire setup for it and we can point you in the right direction setup wise if you haven’t done so already.
Thanks

Tschorm

Sry for the late answer, was busy the last days =/ But sure here are some Pics, really would like to have some life plants in there think my enclosures are looking a little fallow, tried with plants, but one got killed by spider and the other died off -.-

First picture are all off my enclosures.
Secound from my adult one.
Third from the Sling.

But I have to say jesterday she startet webbing up the front corner, wich will be a nightmare if I want to feed her or switch her water, but for the moment I let her web be there, think I have to cut it off from the frontlid at some point

Attachments

• IMG_1661[1].JPG
    IMG_1661[1].JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1662[1].JPG
    IMG_1662[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1663[1].JPG
    IMG_1663[1].JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12

AndrewClayton

Sry for the late answer, was busy the last days =/ But sure here are some Pics, really would like to have some life plants in there think my enclosures are looking a little fallow, tried with plants, but one got killed by spider and the other died off -.-

First picture are all off my enclosures.
Secound from my adult one.
Third from the Sling.

But I have to say jesterday she startet webbing up the front corner, wich will be a nightmare if I want to feed her or switch her water, but for the moment I let her web be there, think I have to cut it off from the frontlid at some point
The sling enclosure is a bit big but absolutely nothing wrong with that it’s just preference. To stop the webbing on the front door of the adult, take that webbing away and put a fake plant or some other anchor point there very close to the glass just to stop it webbing On the glass and to the anchor point instead. That’s all I’d do apart from that everything looks good for that species and nice looking enclosures they will look cool when they have webbed it all up

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just looked at them. They still have a mesh lid. Yes they may not be able to chew through it but that’s not the issue with mesh lids, it’s Ts getting tarsal claws stuck when climbing it so it being reinforced is just going to Make life difficult as you’re still going to have to replace it with polycarbonate or acrylic

The screens are bonded with those, same with the ExoTerra cages. This means that where the wires cross over they are attached by a bonding agent that makes the screen one piece. Since the bonding agent fully covers where they cross over, there's physically no place for claws to hang up.

This means that claws etc can't get caught. Use a magnifying glass to be sure. Yes, unbonded screens can catch claws. That's why you don't want to make your own screen lid with screen from the hardware store.

The Terra Blue cages are safe for anything with claws. This known problem has been solved by many of the larger manufacturers for many years. I've used several with my tarantulas and have never once had an issue. This includes both arboreal and terrestrial species.

AndrewClayton

The screens are bonded with those, same with the ExoTerra cages. This means that where the wires cross over they are attached by a bonding agent that makes the screen one piece. Since the bonding agent fully covers where they cross over, there's physically no place for claws to hang up.

This means that claws etc can't get caught. Use a magnifying glass to be sure. Yes, unbonded screens can catch claws. That's why you don't want to make your own screen lid with screen from the hardware store.

The Terra Blue cages are safe for anything with claws. This known problem has been solved by many of the larger manufacturers for many years. I've used several with my tarantulas and have never once had an issue. This includes both arboreal and terrestrial species.
This is good to know I have my Bohemi in a Komodo tank that has a screen lid but I use a sheet of plastic that looks a mess because I cut it myself with a blade that I heat up on the cooker lol. Going to change it back but are you definitely sure of n this as there is definitely a difference in the way and speed Ts walk when there on it

AndrewClayton

This is good to know I have my Bohemi in a Komodo tank that has a screen lid but I use a sheet of plastic that looks a mess because I cut it myself with a blade that I heat up on the cooker lol. Going to change it back but are you definitely sure of n this as there is definitely a difference in the way and speed Ts walk when there on it
??????

babyjacks

I’m sorry to hear that I really am but the truth of it is slings aren’t as fragile as you say you must just have had really bad luck or you’re slings weren’t packaged properly yes some slings are weaker and might not make it to adulthood but ultimately starting with slings is probably the best way to go
Yeah, i realize now that it was probably my mistake for not being properly prepared for them. I have a basement room which is always freezing & ever since I got my space heater my 2 slings have been doing pretty good. I wish I would’ve gotten a heater sooner. My b albo is growing so much & it’s actually such a nice feeling to see something that was so tiny grow more and more.

AndrewClayton

Yeah, i realize now that it was probably my mistake for not being properly prepared for them. I have a basement room which is always freezing & ever since I got my space heater my 2 slings have been doing pretty good. I wish I would’ve gotten a heater sooner. My b albo is growing so much & it’s actually such a nice feeling to see something that was so tiny grow more and more.
Yeah it’s amazing what heat does for them I used to keep all mine in my loft with a space heater but it was averaging about 18 degrees now I have them all over the house and the temp is never under 20 even the slow growing species speed up a bit

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
All of my spooders are like in hibernation mode.

They've either buried themselves, are in premolt or are plump enough to refuse food.
No successful feedings this week :D

Tschorm

Hy Tschorm here again =P
Another question, this time because off a Poecilotherica Metallica, got a nice set up with a big branch and a nice vertical corkbarktube for her to hide in, what she does! But I have big time trouble feeding her because those dawn crickets wont go in there on there own, and if I try to push them there with a brush or tongs that the spider can get them she gets spooked and runs deeper into the hide, has anybody a good tip for my, how to get her to eat? I tried leaving the crickets in there for longer but most off the time I find them dead in a corner a day or two later. I mean she is not starved out at the moment, could just be that she isnt hungry at all but she is allways sitting at the top off her hide with her legs outside like she wants to grab the next best thing that walks by, thanks in advance =)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hy Tschorm here again =P
Another question, this time because off a Poecilotherica Metallica, got a nice set up with a big branch and a nice vertical corkbarktube for her to hide in, what she does! But I have big time trouble feeding her because those dawn crickets wont go in there on there own, and if I try to push them there with a brush or tongs that the spider can get them she gets spooked and runs deeper into the hide, has anybody a good tip for my, how to get her to eat? I tried leaving the crickets in there for longer but most off the time I find them dead in a corner a day or two later. I mean she is not starved out at the moment, could just be that she isnt hungry at all but she is allways sitting at the top off her hide with her legs outside like she wants to grab the next best thing that walks by, thanks in advance =)

If you're finding the crickets dead a day or 2 later, sounds to me like she is killing them and either partially eating or not eating them. Because when my spiders don't eat, the crickets are still alive.

How big is your metallica? A lot of people tong feed their arboreals (which would probably be easier) but you don't have to, plus they can damage their fangs on the tongs if you haven't mastered the technique or have just plain bad luck.

I'd say wait a week, then try again. If she doesn't take it and the cricket is still hopping about the next day, try leaving a pre-killed cricket on the top of her corkbark, see if that gets eaten. Maybe she's in premoult though , as they do run away from feeders then or if like you say, they're plain not hungry.

Tschorm

She is about 4 to 5 cm dls, her abdomen is looking good so far, but havent feed her for 4 week´s since I got her, could be premolt, who knows =P But tong feeding isnt working because she gets spooked so easily. I mean just opening the front lid and she is gone, but usually she is sitting right on the top edge of her hide with her legs out, looks for me like she wants to hunt something, but those chrickets never go up on the Corkbark, they run around on the floor and maybe putting there head into the opening at the buttom but dont go in there probably because off all the webbing inside that she has done. I am thinking about to rehouse her into an enclosure that can be opened on top not front, then I could just drop the chrickets straight into her hide, so that they get caught in the webbing and drawing attention from her, problem is I dont have one that opens on top and is fitting for an aboreal species =/

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

If they're happy with your setup, why change it?

If you do another cage, make sure it's a bonded screen!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
She is about 4 to 5 cm dls, her abdomen is looking good so far, but havent feed her for 4 week´s since I got her, could be premolt, who knows =P But tong feeding isnt working because she gets spooked so easily. I mean just opening the front lid and she is gone, but usually she is sitting right on the top edge of her hide with her legs out, looks for me like she wants to hunt something, but those chrickets never go up on the Corkbark, they run around on the floor and maybe putting there head into the opening at the buttom but dont go in there probably because off all the webbing inside that she has done. I am thinking about to rehouse her into an enclosure that can be opened on top not front, then I could just drop the chrickets straight into her hide, so that they get caught in the webbing and drawing attention from her, problem is I dont have one that opens on top and is fitting for an aboreal species =/

Ah, I didn't realise that you weren't able to drop crickets straight down.
Rehousing into a top opening enclosure may make life easier for you.
I would expect a pokie to be able to hunt on the ground of the enclosure though. If it's starting to web up the tube, that could mean premoult....

InternetSwag

3 Year Member
Kgi0kZa.jpg

Only shot I could get of my C. Minax
usually a pet hole. His half in his water dish and half in his hole
He webbed up his water dish and I put some water in it earlier today. Saw him what I assume is drinking.
He is much bigger than the last time I saw him.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Kgi0kZa.jpg

Only shot I could get of my C. Minax
usually a pet hole. His half in his water dish and half in his hole
He webbed up his water dish and I put some water in it earlier today. Saw him what I assume is drinking.
He is much bigger than the last time I saw him.

Is it tipping the waterdish in the picture? I wonder if this will be the start of it 'battling' the dish when you go to refill it haha "Die waterdish ......Die!!" :D