• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

NYX

3 Year Member
Thank the T gods. Had my fingers crossed for you Viscus. Glad it all sorted it out. Amazing resilient little buggers.

Viscus

3 Year Member
Everyone will be happy to hear, that after this scary event I have added peat moss to everyones encloser. Not only for drinking, but to hold humidity. Hopefully next molt is easier for both Burry, and Trouble.

Burry, however has moved it all into his burrow. Greedy little guy.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B.Emilia moulted last night. Will try and post some pictures later after work. Managed to extract the old moult from her burrow but no carapace or abdomen.. Nice vibrant colours :)

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg
Not the best picture . I also managed to retrieve the carapace and abdomen from her burrow.
I've also got the old moult from my LP he/she kindly pushed it out of the hide for me ..

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cheers viscus! Firefinch is 1 of my biggest T's she is roughly 3" dls.. So only a baby yet :).
She moulted roughly between 5-7 this morning. She has refused food for the last 3 weeks. So she will be hungry when she hardens up..

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She doesn't come out much this was her a
image.jpg
few nights ago.

Viscus

3 Year Member
She souds like Burry. I only see him when he has a mouth full of dirt, or is waiting just inside his burrow for food. She is so cute!!!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice surprise waiting for me at home:
My T. gigas sling has molted again. it's only been a couple of weeks. I could only see a very long orange leg so far. I wonder how different it looks now.
IMG_7095_zpspg9pd2am.jpg

Viscus

3 Year Member
Our G. pluchra just molted this morning. Being the biggest of our four I was surprized we did not see a molt mat, nor did it ever fast before te molt. Speaking of molt mats I do not believe anyone else ever laid one.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My B.Vagans moulted today. I can see small red hairs on the abdomen :).
He/she moulted a few hours and it's very pale looking in colour.
Will post some pics when I can get a good picture ..

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg
My little 1cm ( Eupalestrus weijenbergi) White colleard birdeater moulted a few hours ago.:)

Sym

Last edited:

Hakstone

3 Year Member
Hey guys. Need some help. My mexican red leg is about 2 yo. Up till now he has eaten and molted regularly. Last molt, it became a man. Red bulbs on front arms(?). Since then he hasn't eaten much. Twice he tried to mult and quit. Now, all he does is pace the cage. He's very thin. Any help is appreciated. Thx.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Hakstone . Sounds like your male is wandering his enclosure for a female..
By the sounds of it he has just had his ultimate moult . Which means his now sexually mature.. I'm not sure how long he will live for but my G.rosea lasted between 12-15 months ..
I'm no expert but I'm sure someone will add to this :)

Sym

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hey guys. Need some help. My mexican red leg is about 2 yo. Up till now he has eaten and molted regularly. Last molt, it became a man. Red bulbs on front arms(?). Since then he hasn't eaten much. Twice he tried to mult and quit. Now, all he does is pace the cage. He's very thin. Any help is appreciated. Thx.

As sym has already said your T has had it's ultimate molt and is now sexually mature,as far as trying to molt again goes not many would survive I've only heard of a few that have manged to molt again and survive after the ultimate molt.What happens once a male matures is he will build a sperm web and deposit sperm on it then he will go underneath it upside down to charge his pedipalps with sperm ready for mating this is what I suspect that you have seen rather than him trying to molt again.
As far as how long he will live is hard to say but 6 months to a year is about avarage for a male once he matures.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very happy with the size increase of my G.Pulchra!
Sorry about the pic quality . These energy saving bulbs are rubbish light for taking a good picture.
image.jpg

Viscus

3 Year Member
Looking good Sym!! I am still eaiting for Fuzz Ball to molt >.< Not sure how long they take, but it drinks the water bowl dry each day. It is an Aviculara aviculara if anyone has experience.

Latest posts