• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Molting Support Group for Noobs*

NYX

3 Year Member
Thought I would make a thread for the experience of going through the first molt with our beloved T's. This will be the first time I get to experience my T's do this and 2 of them are very close. Not going to lie I am a little nervous but for sure much more excited. My G.rosea is laying down a cradle of webbing and flicking some hairs in it so I am assuming it won't be long now. :T:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've only had 6 molts since keeping Ts (been keeping less than a year so still a noob) and it does seem to get easier. My Boehmei molted about a month after getting it, but it was dug in a little burrow so I only saw part of it. It molted again not that long ago. It's the long premolt phases (up to a month) that used to get me, lol.
After the Boehmei's first molt, my A. geniculata molted. I knew she was in premolt as her abdomen was big and shiny, just didn't know when she would go. She didn't web a proper molt mat, but climbed on top of her log to do it. I kept worrying she would fall off it, but she managed just fine. After her molt I had another worry, because she was sitting in a curled up position for ages after. I even got up in the middle of the night to check on her, but she was moving around then. She's in premolt again just now (she looks bloated and greyish and doesn't attack the water droplets as usual, lol).
IIRC, it was my Boehmei sling again next (either that or the GBB). This time it was in its bottle cap hide (I could just see its bottom) and their was a considerable size and colour difference.
My GBB sling had a funny molt: It wasn't upside down but nearly the "the right way up" emerging upside down. It all went well anyway and I even managed to photograph some of it.
After that is was the A. versicolor. It took slightly longer than the slings, being a juve, but again everything went well and it's starting to show some red bristles on its abdomen now. I'm just a bit gutted, I tried to sex the molt, but I think I put to much washing up liquid in the water, or left the molt in it too long, cos it just ripped.
Last, but not least my T. gigas sling molted like a pro. It even pushed the molt out of its hide for me, thank you. It's legs are a lot longer now, which looks really cute.
I'm hoping for my LP sling to go next, as it's not eaten for nearly 2 weeks and I'm worried because it's so tiny (1/4 inch if that). I think my P. Metallica sling might go soon, too, as it's off its food.

Good luck with your Rosea! Mine doesn't show any signs of molting. She's not fully grown, but they're slow growers anyway. She's got one of her "eats like a pig" phases at the moment, lol, so not even a premolt on the horizon.

BossRoss

3 Year Member
Good luck NYX!

I hope they moult out in the open and you get to witness it!! It is very cool to watch, although patience is required to watch a moult....

NYX

3 Year Member
Well I missed it. Came home from work about an hour ago and found the moult and a freash T! I was really wishing to witness it but all looks well! From what I read and pictures I think it is female from looking at the molt.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,006 KB · Views: 165
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    781.9 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,023.3 KB · Views: 158

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can I ask questions in this thread about premoult behaviour?

Sym

NYX

3 Year Member
Sure thing Sym!
I knew from her balding and darkening mirror patch on her opisthosoma (rump.) She refused food and she is a piggy! Lol She laid down a mat of webbing. Also she acted skittish and overly sensitive to any movement in or around her home.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi NYX.
I have a B.Emilia and have had her now since the 29th of November. In this time I've only seen her 3 times. I know she must come out after lights out due to substrate in the water bowl and she has been digging. A couple of weeks back I caught her on the side of the enclosure and as soon as I turned the main light on in the room she bolted for her hide.

So today I wanted to see if I could catch her out and enter the room with the lights off and get my girlfriend to turn on the light. It worked!! This time she sat still until I moved. Then bolted for her hide.

This morning I have noticed she has been out and about and the substrate looks like it has been flattened near the water bowl. Is she getting ready to lay a mat?
She hasnt moulted yet since having her and up until a few days ago she hasn't eaten. But I have noticed over the last few days the water seems to be going down quicker..

She looked really healthy for the few seconds I saw her. But colours do looked washed out ...

Sym

Last edited:

NYX

3 Year Member
I wouldn't worry to much my lasiodora parahybana sling rarely is out of its burrow. I am lucky I can still see it since it is against the wall of its container. It is the T's natural instinct to burrow in during the day. I have read the more mature they get the less inclined they are to hide too.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Sym,
How big is she?
My B. Boehmei behaved similar to this prior to its last molt. It dug in not long after I got it to hide for over a month. When it reappeared I put a bottle cap hide into its tub and it was in there all the time other than for feeding. It then sealed it off bar one peep hole in the back, stayed in there for another month and eventually molted. I've had it since last August and it's molted twice, which I think is not too bad for a Brachy, lol. On the other hand I did get quite frustrated about hardly ever seeing it, due to its long premolt phases.
Since I've rehoused it into a bigger tub and now it's about >1" LS it seems a lot less shy. It's not used the bottle cap hide since and is always out and about. It's eating fine (apart from being a bit slow and not the best hunter, lol), so assume it is simply more confident.
Brachies simply seem to be a lot shyer and more skittish as slings and I suppose they don't like light too much neither. I've heard it from a lot of keepers that their Bs spent their first couple of months more or less as pet holes.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Fuzzball79.
This is a very rough DLS measurement I would say 3 inch maxinum . I have a nice bit of cork bark in the enclosure which I placed so I could see into the entrance of the hide.
She didn't like this and blocked off the entrance where I can view her and started to dig out the other end where I can't see her as well. If she is at the entrance to her hide all I can see is toes.
I've never seen her eat but I never see the crickets again either.
I've never seen her lay any webbing yet either. But I've noticed she has started to lay a small noticeable amount near the hide entrance..
She's a really nice looking T. When we got her the lady in the shop asked if my girlfriend wanted to hold her which she said yes. the T was very docile and didn't seem to mind being handled . I can't help but think she was maybe slightly dehydrated due to being so docile . Now she is in the right humidity I think she is showing signs of her normal behaviour ..
I also know our B Emilia moulted 2 weeks prior to us buying her. So roughly 6.5-7 weeks ago...

Sym

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi NYX.
Just thought I would check on my G.Pulchra sling and found it on its back . :). I've just given the enclosure a good misting at either end. I will check again in a few hours..
Will try posting some pics.
I do have that book I got it for my Xmas present off the girlfriend. Very good book. Haven't sat and had a good look at it yet.

Sym

Last edited:

NYX

3 Year Member
Nice! Congrats Sym!!! :D
Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing. I really love the G. Pulchras such a pretty black T.
Good luck today,
Nyx

NYX

3 Year Member
Yay congrats!!!! I can't tell from the photo but the T looks a little tiny might be difficult. I put pre- diluted washing up liquid in with molt when I soaked it. The rump part came apart quite easily after I figured out what exactly I was looking at lol. How big is the molt?

Latest posts