• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Welcome to Tarantula Forum!

Aprilshowerz72

I've been a member for a few months and have posted some pics and had great convos. So I thought I'd take a minute to actually introduce myself. I'm April. I've got 16 tarantulas currently. 12 are subadult to adult and 4 are slings. My hubs took me to a Repticon several years ago and I was fascinated by the spiders. But had a touch of arachnophobia. He's always been into reptiles but they aren't really my thing. Decided a few months ago to get a few T's from a friend that's a breeder. That was it. I wanted more. I did a lot of research about housing and care and came across this forum. So glad I did. Google is great, but there's so much misinfo that I end up confused sometimes. I've even ended up with a couple Ts I'm not 100% sure I want to keep. Had no idea wild caught vs bred would be a big difference. But I'm gonna give it some time before I make a final decision.

Hi my name is Diane, have 8 tarantulas from slings to sub adults only started keeping after studying and looking at other peoples for a year. Got my first in July, I only have new world right now it's a lot more involved than it looks just reading about and watching videos. Doesn't really compare to the experience of owning. Ty for this forum have lots of questions at times and love to read others questions. I am learning already from this site.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi my name is Diane, have 8 tarantulas from slings to sub adults only started keeping after studying and looking at other peoples for a year. Got my first in July, I only have new world right now it's a lot more involved than it looks just reading about and watching videos. Doesn't really compare to the experience of owning. Ty for this forum have lots of questions at times and love to read others questions. I am learning already from this site.
Hi Diane, welcome to the forum. Best advice I can give anyone is to ignore care sheets, they are generally garbage. Best advice comes from the people who love and care for these amazing creatures and you will lots of them on this wonderful forum.
I have nearly 200 currently at various ages and they all have the basic care requirements.
1. Coco fibre substrate. Dry with a slightly misted area in one part of the enclosure only
2. open water dish with fresh water always available (I use cooled down boiled water but many others used bottled). I also use the same cooled down water for misting
3. Feeding, usually only feed prey that is no larger than the size of the abdomen of your spider that way as the spider grows, as does the prey item. slings I feed x2 a week, juvie and adults just the once as I don't like to overfeed
4. Heating, if you feel comfortable then your spider will. There is no need to have temps in the mid eighties at all. If you do have a cold house a heat mat can be used but always mount vertically, never UNDER the enclosure and ideally no more than 50% of the enclosure so they have a warm and cool area as their mood takes them.
5. hides, cork bark or plastic plant pots are usually best. They will feel comfortable with somewhere they can retreat to if they get spooked.
5. make more space!!!!, this is a very very addictive hobby and you will want more and more ...ha ha

I hope the above was useful. We have a gallery (media) section on this forum where we can all get to see your collection :)

Hi Diane, welcome to the forum. Best advice I can give anyone is to ignore care sheets, they are generally garbage. Best advice comes from the people who love and care for these amazing creatures and you will lots of them on this wonderful forum.
I have nearly 200 currently at various ages and they all have the basic care requirements.
1. Coco fibre substrate. Dry with a slightly misted area in one part of the enclosure only
2. open water dish with fresh water always available (I use cooled down boiled water but many others used bottled). I also use the same cooled down water for misting
3. Feeding, usually only feed prey that is no larger than the size of the abdomen of your spider that way as the spider grows, as does the prey item. slings I feed x2 a week, juvie and adults just the once as I don't like to overfeed
4. Heating, if you feel comfortable then your spider will. There is no need to have temps in the mid eighties at all. If you do have a cold house a heat mat can be used but always mount vertically, never UNDER the enclosure and ideally no more than 50% of the enclosure so they have a warm and cool area as their mood takes them.
5. hides, cork bark or plastic plant pots are usually best. They will feel comfortable with somewhere they can retreat to if they get spooked.
5. make more space!!!!, this is a very very addictive hobby and you will want more and more ...ha ha

I hope the above was useful. We have a gallery (media) section on this forum where we can all get to see your collection :)
Ty very much all good information. Do you mist all of them? I cant believe you have so many that's great. I have a extra room that's now a spider room, I just worry if anything happens to me who will take my spiders. Again ty for the useful advice

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum was recommended by @Phil
I've been in the hobby about 6yr but I took a year out with a new born and such but I'm back and slowing building up I have about 50 spiders so far and adding more next week my favourites are everything African
So that's me look forward to getting to know people and thanks for having me
Hiya pal, great to see you on here. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. Great family community here. I know through some of our messages you have some really nice pics and videos so please check out the "Media" section under the 3 bars menu and post as many media items as you like. We all like a good pic/video.
I hope you enjoy the forum and keep building that collection of yours :)
Nothing wrong with being an "arachnoholic"....just embrace it. ha ha

Daniel Wilkinson

Hiya pal, great to see you on here. I hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do. Great family community here. I know through some of our messages you have some really nice pics and videos so please check out the "Media" section under the 3 bars menu and post as many media items as you like. We all like a good pic/video.

Daniel Wilkinson

Haha that's @Phil was great getting to know more about you on WhatsApp last night ill make sure to drop some pics and videos later through that day and thanks again

Diggs

Hi all, I'm new to the forums as well as the hobby. I'm hailing from Gold Coast, Australia, so hopefully there are a few Aussies here that I can learn from.
Have had 3 slings for a little over a month now, Coremiocnemis Tropix, Selenotypus sp. Champagne Robustus, and a Phlogius sp. Sarina, and all have recently (last couple of days) had their first molts in my care. Only managed to catch a pic of one of them in the act (C. Tropix) as the other 2 were fairly hidden in their burrows giving me limited viewing, still waiting for one to emerge from the depths, but other 2 are out and showing off already.
Anyway, good to be here, hope to learn as I go.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi all, I'm new to the forums as well as the hobby. I'm hailing from Gold Coast, Australia, so hopefully there are a few Aussies here that I can learn from.
Have had 3 slings for a little over a month now, Coremiocnemis Tropix, Selenotypus sp. Champagne Robustus, and a Phlogius sp. Sarina, and all have recently (last couple of days) had their first molts in my care. Only managed to catch a pic of one of them in the act (C. Tropix) as the other 2 were fairly hidden in their burrows giving me limited viewing, still waiting for one to emerge from the depths, but other 2 are out and showing off already.
Anyway, good to be here, hope to learn as I go.

Hi, welcome to the forum :)