• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Injured Tarantula

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
And maybe your experience with him will lead you to keeping tarantulas. It really is an interesting experience and they can be fun to watch and try to figure out what they are doing and why.

Just today, my G. rosea wrapped up a Dubia roach in his den. I have seen spiders outside do that in webs but never a tarantula in the five or so months I have kept them. It is not surprising, but still interesting to me.

finley8445

That doesn't sound good :( Please know that even if he does die, his last moments were made as comfortable as possible thanks to you. And even though tarantulas aren't capable of gratitude, I'm sure that his spirit has some sort of appreciation for all you've done. I know everyone here does. <
Wow! Thank you so much. I don’t know what to say. This means a lot to me.

finley8445

I've been following along this thread for a while and coming on when there is an updated. I think it's safe to say on behalf of this community that you are doing a very admirable job caring for this T. I really do hope this guy makes it, but if not, i think i can agree with @goldenpumpkin that in spirit he would see how much you cared and appreciate you for it.
Thank you so much. Your kind words are very helpful and makes me feel better that he may perhaps know that he’s being cared for.

finley8445

And maybe your experience with him will lead you to keeping tarantulas. It really is an interesting experience and they can be fun to watch and try to figure out what they are doing and why.

Just today, my G. rosea wrapped up a Dubia roach in his den. I have seen spiders outside do that in webs but never a tarantula in the five or so months I have kept them. It is not surprising, but still interesting to me.
They are interesting and unusual creatures. I’m in awe of them. We had a pretty big one hanging around here in July during the big monsoons. Perhaps a parent of this little T. It would come around a certain place in our backyard around 6 PM. Very cool.

x_raphael_xx

From the photo I would say its more of a stress curl, where they try and ball themselves into their knees.
In a death curl their legs would be underneath them.

Does it have a hide? Maybe get a plastic flower pot or piece of corkbark so it can hide under to feel secure.

finley8445

From the photo I would say its more of a stress curl, where they try and ball themselves into their knees.
In a death curl their legs would be underneath them.

Does it have a hide? Maybe get a plastic flower pot or piece of corkbark so it can hide under to feel secure.
Stress curl looks more like what it is then. That’s a relief. I’ll look for something as a hide. Thanks.

finley8445

Great job rescuing the little critter!!! Try not to stress to much about his living conditions. T's are very easy to care for. Your doing a great job reaching out as well. This forum is choc filled with great T owners and are always here to help.
He is a beautiful creature!!! Hopefully with a little time it will recover just fine and can go back into the yard. I also wouldn't try to feed it anything until it gets his coordination. Feeder insects like grasshoppers, crickets, roaches, ect. could hurt it while the spider is still recovering. They can go weeks with out food and be just fine. From the great photo you sent in of the T, the abdomen ( Butt) looks nice and round and full. Just keep the papertowel moist or you can even put a clean Gatorade cap filled with clean water in there for it, and you can even use an extra piece of paper towel cupped in a corner and that can give it a place to hide and allow you to still keep an eye on it. Just make sure you have good cross ventilation ( poke a lot of holes around the sides) to keep mold from growing!!
Keep up the great work!!
I see that I forgot to thank you. This has been excellent info. I did put a hide over him. Cut in half paper cup. I hope that’s ok.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes good job so far. Hopefully your new friend will have a quick recovery.

finley8445

I rescued a small Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk Wasp yesterday evening. I wasn’t sure if the Tarantula was still alive but after reading about the Tarantula Hawk Wasp and what it was doing I understand that he was probably stung and is likely still alive. I put him in a small box with a lid and air holes He is in a safe place in my house. This morning he is moving all of his legs but unable to coordinate to walk. I did give him a syringe drop of water in his mouth this morning. My question is… what type of care can I give him to aid his recovery and how long should I nurse him before releasing back into my yard?
Update: seems to still be taking the water drops that I give him. I don’t see his mouth move but the water seems to go in. Abdomen is still squishy which is worrisome. I do see an indentation in his abdomen that seems to go away after I give him water. No smell yet so maybe he’s still alive?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update: seems to still be taking the water drops that I give him. I don’t see his mouth move but the water seems to go in. Abdomen is still squishy which is worrisome. I do see an indentation in his abdomen that seems to go away after I give him water. No smell yet so maybe he’s still alive?
sounds like it. Gonna be a long haul brother.

x_raphael_xx

Is it worth mashing up some food and dropping a bit on its mouth? See if she'll eat.

x_raphael_xx

I think the T probably may need food. I know I need to get a cricket, kill it and then make a runny substance from its insides. I’m pretty squeamish about that though. Would a pet store do that for me?
I'm not sure, I guess it would depend on the pet store.

Crickets & other insects don't feel pain, if that makes it easier for you. You're not hurting them to be mean, they are being used for a purpose.

When I have to kill one to feed my spiderlings I hold one with tongs & crush its head with another pair of tongs.

x_raphael_xx

I found some gut load cricket drink supplement online. Would that work instead of mushing a live cricket?
That looks like a water gel, you put it in the enclosure so the crickets can drink without drowning themselves in a waterbowl.
Gut loading means you bulk up the feeders before you feed them to the T's.
I don't believe they make a tarantula replacement meal, but then again I've not really looked.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I found some gut load cricket drink supplement online. Would that work instead of mushing a live cricket?
Yeah, those things are for feeding crickets etc, probably have nothing the T's could use.

Making a cricket smoothie sounds like a good idea.