• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Injured Tarantula

finley8445

He is still in the same position as yesterday. Hasn’t moved. I’m guessing he is paralyzed right now. Not sure how long that takes to come out of. I gave him drops of water. It was hard for me to tell if he drank those. I didn’t see his mouth move but the water seemed to go in. Changed his ICU. He’s still soft and pliable. Rear end is still plump and soft looking. Sending a picture. I do have a flat water dish for him that isn’t in the picture.
I forgot to thank you for your comment. Thanks for the encouragement.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks! I need to look up the anatomy. Especially since I’m committed to this. Would be nice to know about his parts.
Check this

finley8445

finley8445

I rescued a small Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk Wasp yesterday evening. I wasn’t sure if the Tarantula was still alive but after reading about the Tarantula Hawk Wasp and what it was doing I understand that he was probably stung and is likely still alive. I put him in a small box with a lid and air holes He is in a safe place in my house. This morning he is moving all of his legs but unable to coordinate to walk. I did give him a syringe drop of water in his mouth this morning. My question is… what type of care can I give him to aid his recovery and how long should I nurse him before releasing back into my yard?
Update. I spoke to a vet about my tarantula. They said that my T could be paralyzed for months. They suggested euthanasia. I’m really not ready to give up on him and can do the long haul. But if that is a cruel decision I don’t want to put him through that. I know it’s my decision but if he has a chance of survival I’d like to give him that. I just don’t want it to be a difficult existence for him. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update. I spoke to a vet about my tarantula. They said that my T could be paralyzed for months. They suggested euthanasia. I’m really not ready to give up on him and can do the long haul. But if that is a cruel decision I don’t want to put him through that. I know it’s my decision but if he has a chance of survival I’d like to give him that. I just don’t want it to be a difficult existence for him. Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Months---nope. Your T would die long before that. Nervous system and digestion troubles that sputtered but slowly improved over weeks is likely. Bottom line: it is a big undertaking with no guarantee for success, but in the 50-50 chance that your T recovers, it will be one of the most rewarding feeling you will ever have. There are some great support options on this site that can help you through it in case you want to pursue care: Octanejunkie, Ennie, Ourspoil, our superstar: Arachnoclown, and too many others to count right now.. Any one of which would be happy to walk you through it if you choose.

finley8445

Months---nope. Your T would die long before that. Nervous system and digestion troubles that sputtered but slowly improved over weeks is likely. Bottom line: it is a big undertaking with no guarantee for success, but in the 50-50 chance that your T recovers, it will be one of the most rewarding feeling you will ever have. There are some great support options on this site that can help you through it in case you want to pursue care: Octanejunkie, Ennie, Ourspoil, our superstar: Arachnoclown, and too many others to count right now.. Any one of which would be happy to walk you through it if you choose.
I’m choosing to keep on working with this T. Thanks. I was feeling pretty bad about this. I’ll hang here for help along the way. Appreciate it.

finley8445

I rescued a small Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk Wasp yesterday evening. I wasn’t sure if the Tarantula was still alive but after reading about the Tarantula Hawk Wasp and what it was doing I understand that he was probably stung and is likely still alive. I put him in a small box with a lid and air holes He is in a safe place in my house. This morning he is moving all of his legs but unable to coordinate to walk. I did give him a syringe drop of water in his mouth this morning. My question is… what type of care can I give him to aid his recovery and how long should I nurse him before releasing back into my yard?
I think my T may have passed. His abdomen is soft and lacks the firmness it had before. Not sure exactly how you tell if they are gone. Since he is paralyzed he hasn’t drawn his legs into a death curl. His legs are still pliable and can be moved. Does this sound like he may have died?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think my T may have passed. His abdomen is soft and lacks the firmness it had before. Not sure exactly how you tell if they are gone. Since he is paralyzed he hasn’t drawn his legs into a death curl. His legs are still pliable and can be moved. Does this sound like he may have died?
That doesn't sound good. Their legs curling inward is an autonomic function, meaning they don't do it consciously; the legs are spring loaded to close. Pliable legs, offering no resistance when articulated externally, would be what I would expect from paralysis. A softening abdomen is never a good sign. Got pictures?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Early in death, as Octane mentioned, their legs curl somewhat, cause it takes circulation to extend a T leg, In addition, the first 10-12 hours there will be rigor mortis. I.e. the legs are kinda locked into their positions. After 12 hours, dead tarantulas become flaccid and start to stink. Sadly, it sounds like your T is on death's door. Paralysis can also effect the circulatory system where the heart begins to shut down. I am praying for your little friend.

x_raphael_xx

I think most vets would suggest euthanasia tbh. Unlike more 'normal' pets, there isn't a lot you can really do with a sick T.
You can't give them medicine etc like you would a dog.

finley8445

He has a slight dent in his back that hasn’t been there before. It’s hard to see in the picture. Would you say that his legs are in a death curl? I modified his icu last night to be located where his head is because the paper towel felt so cool to me even though it is 77-81 in the house. Not sure if that was a good thing to do or not. I haven’t attempted to turn him over to give water yet this morning. Poor guy.

finley8445

BE6D180E-4F19-4E93-9B93-A4937076E792.jpeg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you can extend a leg and it reflexively pulls back, it is not dead. The intended abdomen is a bad sign. However, it could still be dehydration. Keep it moist and give it water.

goldenpumpkin

His leg does not reflexively pull back. But I will watch to see if it eventually does. Just gave him water. Underbelly doesn’t look good either.
That doesn't sound good :( Please know that even if he does die, his last moments were made as comfortable as possible thanks to you. And even though tarantulas aren't capable of gratitude, I'm sure that his spirit has some sort of appreciation for all you've done. I know everyone here does. <3

SingaporeBlue

That doesn't sound good :( Please know that even if he does die, his last moments were made as comfortable as possible thanks to you. And even though tarantulas aren't capable of gratitude, I'm sure that his spirit has some sort of appreciation for all you've done. I know everyone here does. <3
His leg does not reflexively pull back. But I will watch to see if it eventually does. Just gave him water. Underbelly doesn’t look good either.
I've been following along this thread for a while and coming on when there is an updated. I think it's safe to say on behalf of this community that you are doing a very admirable job caring for this T. I really do hope this guy makes it, but if not, i think i can agree with @goldenpumpkin that in spirit he would see how much you cared and appreciate you for it.