• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Injured Tarantula

goldenpumpkin

It’s always best to buy captive bred where you can to avoid taking specimens from the wild unnecessarily. But, as has been mentioned, all our Ts come from a spider that was once taken from the wild, some new (to the hobby) species still have to be, and habitat loss complicates things further.

An injured T that wouldn’t make it on its own if left in the wild is a different story. Well done to the OP for a great save.
I agree, however I've seen other people shame others for rescuing tarantulas from tarantula hawk wasps because they say they're interfering with nature and all that, so that's why I was curious as to where the line is for people I guess

finley8445

I rescued a small Tarantula from a Tarantula Hawk Wasp yesterday evening. I wasn’t sure if the Tarantula was still alive but after reading about the Tarantula Hawk Wasp and what it was doing I understand that he was probably stung and is likely still alive. I put him in a small box with a lid and air holes He is in a safe place in my house. This morning he is moving all of his legs but unable to coordinate to walk. I did give him a syringe drop of water in his mouth this morning. My question is… what type of care can I give him to aid his recovery and how long should I nurse him before releasing back into my yard?
I thought I would update you on how our little T is doing. I put him in ICU. He did drink a drop of water yesterday but has not moved since then. He does have his legs drawn up but I’m not sure if that is a sign of impending death. They aren’t quite all drawn up underneath him. His legs are still soft and his back area does not look shriveled. Still plump as before. I’m not sure if I should just leave him alone on the wet paper towel or try to give him some water with a dropper. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought I would update you on how our little T is doing. I put him in ICU. He did drink a drop of water yesterday but has not moved since then. He does have his legs drawn up but I’m not sure if that is a sign of impending death. They aren’t quite all drawn up underneath him. His legs are still soft and his back area does not look shriveled. Still plump as before. I’m not sure if I should just leave him alone on the wet paper towel or try to give him some water with a dropper. Any suggestions are helpful. Thanks!
Is it docile enough for you to flip it over on his back?

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Consider it--just so you can drip water into its maw. You may have to be Florence Nightengale for awhile--if you are up to it. Might be a good idea to get a pipet. It could be a long road for your little one. Once you are done, you could flip it back over.

finley8445

Consider it--just so you can drip water into its maw. You may have to be Florence Nightengale for awhile--if you are up to it. Might be a good idea to get a pipet. It could be a long road for your little one. Once you are done, you could flip it back over.
Ok. I’ll give it a try today. I’ve been using a tiny syringe. I’m able to control it for one tiny drop. If he doesn’t drink it in a couple minutes should I put him back on the ICU? Sorry so many questions.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
I am very impressed!! You are a good person for helping this tarantula!! You’ll proly have to help this little guy til his post injury molt. I wonder if he /she can even hold prey with his pedipalps.
Main thing right now is to keep it hydrated. How is the tarantula doing today??

finley8445

I am very impressed!! You are a good person for helping this tarantula!! You’ll proly have to help this little guy til his post injury molt. I wonder if he /she can even hold prey with his pedipalps.
Main thing right now is to keep it hydrated. How is the tarantula doing today??
He is still in the same position as yesterday. Hasn’t moved. I’m guessing he is paralyzed right now. Not sure how long that takes to come out of. I gave him drops of water. It was hard for me to tell if he drank those. I didn’t see his mouth move but the water seemed to go in. Changed his ICU. He’s still soft and pliable. Rear end is still plump and soft looking. Sending a picture. I do have a flat water dish for him that isn’t in the picture.

finley8445

He is still in the same position as yesterday. Hasn’t moved. I’m guessing he is paralyzed right now. Not sure how long that takes to come out of. I gave him drops of water. It was hard for me to tell if he drank those. I didn’t see his mouth move but the water seemed to go in. Changed his ICU. He’s still soft and pliable. Rear end is still plump and soft looking. Sending a picture. I do have a flat water dish for him that isn’t in the picture.
D7CAF74A-5145-4945-AF8A-18D5CC736718.jpeg

Latest posts