• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Injured Tarantula

sunset

yes, please let us know how it goes. they really are such incredible creatures, and i can relate on how I never thought my self to be a T keeper either lol but I'm already looking to get more. I'm addicted or in love lol
t's can be resilient. plenty of rest and quiet, lets hope for the best.

goldenpumpkin

This tarantula will not likely make it in the wild without a successful post injury molt. Strongly consider keeping it.
I've only been keeping for 1 month but I was under the impression that keeping wild caught tarantulas was frowned upon by T hobbyists; are injured Ts usually considered an exception?

finley8445

I've only been keeping for 1 month but I was under the impression that keeping wild caught tarantulas was frowned upon by T hobbyists; are injured Ts usually considered an exception?
I have no idea. Didn’t even occur to me. My plan is to release him back to my backyard once he is recovered but until then I’m providing him with a safe place to do so.

sunset

injured t's can have a hard time going back to the wild. they also need to have a postinjury molt and sometimes that can take multiple molts.
All T

sunset

sorry post sent to early, but all T's were originally wild caught. a lot of the rare specimens are also not in the trade or are hard to breed in captivity so they are always wild caught. If you can get them from a breeder that is great, but they are also loosing habitat more then we are taking from the wild s in a sense i guess if you do have a wild caught, depending on the location, you could be helping with conservation of the species. Imo and I'm still learning too, as long as we keep them to the best of their world and our abilities, I think herping, not sure if that's the right terminology here, is okay as long as the land and the species is not under threat or protected. Captive do come with the added bonus of being healthier due to parasites' and such. I think it is a personal preference really.
Great discussion question! Id love to hear other keepers thoughts on this....

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Has the species been established? A. chalcodes? That might help with determining captive care and how to release it if it comes to that.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like you are on the right track.
For substrate coconut fiber is usually readily available. I have mixed it with Creature Soil, which I believe is available at Petco. Coco fiber is available in compressed bricks, but you have to add the water to get it to expand. I usually just buy the bags of coco fiber which is more convenient but also more expensive.

x_raphael_xx

I think the main issue is when there is a large demand for a species and they are ‘harvested’ from the wild in large numbers, decimating the natural population.

VaporRyder

It’s always best to buy captive bred where you can to avoid taking specimens from the wild unnecessarily. But, as has been mentioned, all our Ts come from a spider that was once taken from the wild, some new (to the hobby) species still have to be, and habitat loss complicates things further.

An injured T that wouldn’t make it on its own if left in the wild is a different story. Well done to the OP for a great save.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In the US, many A. species (chalcodes, hentzi) are so plentiful, WC specimens are accepted. In fact, Ken the Bug Guy has made a small fortune selling WC juvie chalcodes.

goldenpumpkin

sorry post sent to early, but all T's were originally wild caught. a lot of the rare specimens are also not in the trade or are hard to breed in captivity so they are always wild caught. If you can get them from a breeder that is great, but they are also loosing habitat more then we are taking from the wild s in a sense i guess if you do have a wild caught, depending on the location, you could be helping with conservation of the species. Imo and I'm still learning too, as long as we keep them to the best of their world and our abilities, I think herping, not sure if that's the right terminology here, is okay as long as the land and the species is not under threat or protected. Captive do come with the added bonus of being healthier due to parasites' and such. I think it is a personal preference really.
Great discussion question! Id love to hear other keepers thoughts on this....
I appreciate the input! Good to know

goldenpumpkin

I think the main issue is when there is a large demand for a species and they are ‘harvested’ from the wild in large numbers, decimating the natural population.
That makes sense. I have seen people jump down other's throats for keeping a wild caught tarantula, so I was confused at the mixed responses. Ty for your input!