• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question for those who aren't scared of holding their tarantulas

kimmie99

I felt that way about roaches when I first started too. After a year or so I had three colonies of different spp, including pet species ;) Roaches are much better than crickets. Much.

My skin is crawling. I did just order more B. Lats for my 3 slings. Can't believe I did that but thinking how crickets jump, I went for more roaches. Still can't get past handling them. Maybe I'll come back to this post in a year and laugh. Nah who am I kidding, had the dubia & hisser colonies and that was years ago. LOL

Seekeroftruth

My problem isn't holding the T's it's touching the feeders. That I just can't bring myself to doing for whatever reason. My skin is crawling just typing this thinking of it! LOL Crickets, roaches (oh dear God I HATE those things), superworms, mealworms, whatever - NOPE - gotta use the longest tongs to grab them or get my kids. When I had our bearded dragon I got over the fear of roaches and got dubias for her. The mix I was given was actually dubias and Madagascar hissers. My daughter LOVED the hissers, would coo to them! The beardie - never once ate a dubia so 4am in the morning I woke my daughter up to box these *&%$#^$% up so I could ship them to someone who wanted them. 200 roaches sent in the mail. I know B. lats (red runners?) are coming with my guys but once those are gone, crickets will be it. And my son will be handling them for me! Just let me handle the T's! LOL

Totally agree! Not scared of my T's but I would never touch a feeder insect. It's my belief that fear of insects is the brain having a strong disgust reaction, that it mistakes for fear. If you aren't scared of T's, its because you arent disgusted by them. Tongs for me always. HOW DO PEOPLE PICK THOSE FEEDERS UP WITH THEIR HANDS!? :)

Latest posts