• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question for those who aren't scared of holding their tarantulas

Rosawrath

So how are guys not scared of holding your tarantulas? I'm embarrassed to say I cant bring myself to hold mine... the last time I held one was a several years ago my sister bought a rose hair from a vender at days of the dead she put in my hand and the only thing I could say was get it off get it off?

Tnoob

So how are guys not scared of holding your tarantulas? I'm embarrassed to say I cant bring myself to hold mine... the last time I held one was a several years ago my sister bought a rose hair from a vender at days of the dead she put in my hand and the only thing I could say was get it off get it off?
Okay... So, I have done a lot of research into therophosidae, and I have a good idea of what to expect from my pets. They have their own body language, and if you know what to look out for when you're dealing with them, and from my minimal actual experience I know that its best to just try to relax, use breathing control, and meditation. With enough self control you can overcome your fears. However, you may not be aware that this is not something I would do. They are very fragile and even a short drop from a few inches can be life threatening. I don't recommend you do this at all. Most here probably won't hold them for that fact. Also, consider the fact that they think you're trying to eat them. After all, you're a lot bigger than they are. How would you like to be cuddled by a grizzly bear? Here a video of what "proper" handling should look like.
Here's a video of what improper handling looks like.
Enjoy your spider. Protect it, take care of it to the best of your abilities.

Rosawrath

Thanks for the advice tnoob much appreciated! But Don't think I'll be getting a obt any time soon though a little to aggressive for my taste but when the need arises I'll definitely use the first video as a reference for moving Rosawrath Temporarily for when I need to clean her enclosure!! May I ask what spider is in profile picture its has beautiful colors?

Rosawrath

Not a problem I got her two weeks ago from my dad he said she was neglected by her previous owner

Attachments

• 20190703_034954.jpg
    20190703_034954.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

Tnoob

It looks like it's in good shape. I'm not convinced it's a fireleg though. The closest thing I can think of is B. Klaasi. I could be wrong, though. Do you have a paint brush?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The times I handled, I wasn't scared, so I can't really say what will help you. That's not to say I wouldnt be scared to hold an obt, or a Poecilotheria. I know they can bring the pain, so that in itself will have me scared. Not terrified, or panicked, just aware and frightened of the consequences. It hurts, getting hit by an old world, badly, so I would never do it. I've handled many avics, roseas, and a big old MM Lp, and yesterday I handled a MM A anax, my local native spider. The risk to you is minimal if you want to hold a new world species, even with large species, like the Lp. The risk to the spider is much worse. Its our instinct to slap at them or throw them if we get bitten. I'll say this though, it's pretty cool to feel their weight, and their claws. I think maybe I enjoyed avics the most. Most of them will willingly crawl out of their enclosure onto your hand, which is rather rare in the T world. After awhile in the hobby, you have a good idea of which to handle, and which to avoid handling. All spiders are individuals though. Their moods can change from very calm to very defensive in an instant. Sometimes the mood seems to stick, too..for a long time, or forever. I won't recommend it or disapprove of it, its your risk. I feel enriched by the experience, myself. Just so you know, new world venom is not like a bee or scorpion sting, like they say. Its worse. Not unbearable, by any means, but the pain sticks around longer. You'll know you've been bitten by a tarantula. :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay... So, I have done a lot of research into therophosidae, and I have a good idea of what to expect from my pets. They have their own body language, and if you know what to look out for when you're dealing with them, and from my minimal actual experience I know that its best to just try to relax, use breathing control, and meditation. With enough self control you can overcome your fears. However, you may not be aware that this is not something I would do. They are very fragile and even a short drop from a few inches can be life threatening. I don't recommend you do this at all. Most here probably won't hold them for that fact. Also, consider the fact that they think you're trying to eat them. After all, you're a lot bigger than they are. How would you like to be cuddled by a grizzly bear? Here a video of what "proper" handling should look like.
Here's a video of what improper handling looks like.
Enjoy your spider. Protect it, take care of it to the best of your abilities.
@Shampain....care to comment? ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In defence of @Rosawrath he did say rose hair not fire leg. It looks to be a Grammostola Conception or Maule but @Phil would be able to confirm this.
hard to tell from the lighting but I dont think concepcion or maule (which a lot think are one of the same anyway). I am going rosea red.
here is my concepcion for reference (adult and juvie - juvie pic courtesy of another member on here as I bought this one back after selling it a few years ago....LOL).
Concepcion tend to be a lot darker underneath the hairs where the rosea red is brown/red rather then dark grey/black and the leg hairs are a lot more intense in colour.

@T-Baby also has some excellent photos for reference purposes too - she has concepcion and /or Maule which hopefully will be shared now I have tagged her :)
20190316_074354.jpg
20190502_192806.jpg

Tnoob

Still a beautiful specimen, I'm just not very good at identifying new worlds as I'm sure you all know, if it isn't bitey, I probably don't know much about it.

Rosawrath

The times I handled, I wasn't scared, so I can't really say what will help you. That's not to say I wouldnt be scared to hold an obt, or a Poecilotheria. I know they can bring the pain, so that in itself will have me scared. Not terrified, or panicked, just aware and frightened of the consequences. It hurts, getting hit by an old world, badly, so I would never do it. I've handled many avics, roseas, and a big old MM Lp, and yesterday I handled a MM A anax, my local native spider. The risk to you is minimal if you want to hold a new world species, even with large species, like the Lp. The risk to the spider is much worse. Its our instinct to slap at them or throw them if we get bitten. I'll say this though, it's pretty cool to feel their weight, and their claws. I think maybe I enjoyed avics the most. Most of them will willingly crawl out of their enclosure onto your hand, which is rather rare in the T world. After awhile in the hobby, you have a good idea of which to handle, and which to avoid handling. All spiders are individuals though. Their moods can change from very calm to very defensive in an instant. Sometimes the mood seems to stick, too..for a long time, or forever. I won't recommend it or disapprove of it, its your risk. I feel enriched by the experience, myself. Just so you know, new world venom is not like a bee or scorpion sting, like they say. Its worse. Not unbearable, by any means, but the pain sticks around longer. You'll know you've been bitten by a tarantula. :D
So pretty much rest my hand in her enclosure and let her decide if she want to crawl on to my hand that I can do thanks for the advice @MassExodus and @Tnoob I wish I knew about the capture cup before I moved her into her current enclosure she to a small tumble trying to get her in the current one thankfully she landed on her feet without any injuries

Latest posts