• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question for those who aren't scared of holding their tarantulas

T-Baby

3 Year Member
This is my Maule, vivid red, extra long hairs.
Yours is extremely pretty none the less, I’m going with Rosea Red form :)

Attachments

• F3C48B06-05F4-4BBF-9953-7E00C111C7ED.jpeg
    F3C48B06-05F4-4BBF-9953-7E00C111C7ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15

MrKrowe

So how are guys not scared of holding your tarantulas? I'm embarrassed to say I cant bring myself to hold mine... the last time I held one was a several years ago my sister bought a rose hair from a vender at days of the dead she put in my hand and the only thing I could say was get it off get it off?

To a spider you are a wet, sticky, vibrating, threatening giant. It will only want to get away from you to a lesser or greater extent.

Unless in cases of need, handling is done for the spider keeper not the spider. Decide what kind of keeper you are before considering handling.

Anyone handling or provoking a spider for any reason other than the health/safety of the spider, or for genuine research or for things such as venom harvesting, is acting for the most shallow of reasons.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To a spider you are a wet, sticky, vibrating, threatening giant. It will only want to get away from you to a lesser or greater extent.

Unless in cases of need, handling is done for the spider keeper not the spider. Decide what kind of keeper you are before considering handling.

Anyone handling or provoking a spider for any reason other than the health/safety of the spider, or for genuine research or for things such as venom harvesting, is acting for the most shallow of reasons.
You sound like those guys in the other forum...kinda lame.

Rosawrath

This all started because I asked how are you guys not scared of holding your tarantulas I understand some keepers dont like to hold there tarantula because they don't want to stress the tarantula out while others are willing to hold theres knowing the spiders are in safe hands and are very aware of the fact that the spider might very well bite them or flick hair at them ( not trying to offend anyone here just trying to understand the mind set of all the keepers replying to my post..

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a open minded forum and we help suggest or guide people in the right direction. If individuals dont like it they can be silent of go to the other forum. No one is going to change that here so dont even try.

@Rosawrath If you have any fear at all you should never hold your tarantula. Any reaction from you could be catastrophic to your spider. Honestly tarantulas dont have any interest in being held. You may just need to take some more time being around them to calm down your fear. If you feel your ready and you must hold your spider I would suggest starting with the spider on the floor. Let it walk across your hand while your hand is flat on the floor.
I've been in the hobby collecting and breeding for 38 years. I have zero fear with the hundreds of spiders in my collection. I'll hold any spider at any time...but I dont.
After collecting for so long new worlds cause me to break out in extreme rashes. This has progressively gotten worse over the years. Most of my collection consists of old worlds now. I tend to not try to hold them as adults unless it's to save them from harm. I've found interacting with the slings and juveniles fills that old craving to hold them. They are less nasty at that age.

Last edited:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I am the most shallow and irresponsible person on this forum..... :(

:D:p

Disclaimer: I was only joking- people do not hold your tarantulas! Wtf is wrong with you?!

(Jk again!:))

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This all started because I asked how are you guys not scared of holding your tarantulas I understand some keepers dont like to hold there tarantula because they don't want to stress the tarantula out while others are willing to hold theres knowing the spiders are in safe hands and are very aware of the fact that the spider might very well bite them or flick hair at them ( not trying to offend anyone here just trying to understand the mind set of all the keepers replying to my post..

Pay me no mind.....I like to joke around a lot. I do it in the purest of intent. Most know me here in this forum..... I am a serious keeper, though and I will try to offer good advice. I agree with what was stated previously....if you want to attempt to hold your spider i would start on the floor (to avoid risk of injury). It really is best that you not handle them, for your safety and the spiders. If you do attempt to do so, don't hold any old world species (if you get to the point that you're comfortable handling). Some new world tarantulas will flick urticating hair and can cause an allergic reaction or itching. Also, prior to handling, make sure you check your tarantula so that it isn't showing signs of pre molt. If you attempt to handle your tarantula during pre molt, it can be detrimental to your T by stressing it out and could potentially kill it by causing it to get stuck in its molt during the process. Just make sure you're comfortable prior to handling. I do not recommend holding because safety comes first.....but the pot can't call the kettle black because I can't tell you how many times I've handled mine......I'm still itching from handling @MassExodus curly hair last night! :D

kimmie99

So how are guys not scared of holding your tarantulas? I'm embarrassed to say I cant bring myself to hold mine... the last time I held one was a several years ago my sister bought a rose hair from a vender at days of the dead she put in my hand and the only thing I could say was get it off get it off?
My problem isn't holding the T's it's touching the feeders. That I just can't bring myself to doing for whatever reason. My skin is crawling just typing this thinking of it! LOL Crickets, roaches (oh dear God I HATE those things), superworms, mealworms, whatever - NOPE - gotta use the longest tongs to grab them or get my kids. When I had our bearded dragon I got over the fear of roaches and got dubias for her. The mix I was given was actually dubias and Madagascar hissers. My daughter LOVED the hissers, would coo to them! The beardie - never once ate a dubia so 4am in the morning I woke my daughter up to box these *&%$#^$% up so I could ship them to someone who wanted them. 200 roaches sent in the mail. I know B. lats (red runners?) are coming with my guys but once those are gone, crickets will be it. And my son will be handling them for me! Just let me handle the T's! LOL

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My problem isn't holding the T's it's touching the feeders. That I just can't bring myself to doing for whatever reason. My skin is crawling just typing this thinking of it! LOL Crickets, roaches (oh dear God I HATE those things), superworms, mealworms, whatever - NOPE - gotta use the longest tongs to grab them or get my kids. When I had our bearded dragon I got over the fear of roaches and got dubias for her. The mix I was given was actually dubias and Madagascar hissers. My daughter LOVED the hissers, would coo to them! The beardie - never once ate a dubia so 4am in the morning I woke my daughter up to box these *&%$#^$% up so I could ship them to someone who wanted them. 200 roaches sent in the mail. I know B. lats (red runners?) are coming with my guys but once those are gone, crickets will be it. And my son will be handling them for me! Just let me handle the T's! LOL
I felt that way about roaches when I first started too. After a year or so I had three colonies of different spp, including pet species ;) Roaches are much better than crickets. Much.

Latest posts