• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula

khatchet

3 Year Member
I know I am a bit late on this, but a B.vagans is a great chose to. I they borrow. I can still always see mine though. If you make a starter borrow against the side of the enclosure they are likely to use it and you can still see them when you want to.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I mean, the earth won't open beneath you if you buy an OBT for your first tarantula, but you probably won't have very much fun rehousing it. The "ladder system" is a good guideline. No need to throw it out completely, just as there's no need to adhere to it religiously. Why so all-or-nothing with the ladder? It's good advice, and not a law.

What do you look for in a T? Cool pattern? Always visible? Docile? Feisty? Always hungry? HUGE? Tiny? That will change the answer, since everyone favors different attributes.

I generally suggest that beginners looking to expand their collections get something completely different from what they already have. This lets you learn what you like. Some have already suggested getting an Avicularia sp. They're a little more delicate than some other tarantulas, but still a great choice for a second tarantula. Being arboreal, they're about as different as you can get from a Grammostola rosea. If you're after pretty but still mellow, any of the Brachypelma sp. are good choices, as are other Grammostola, any Euathlus, Paraphysa, Eupalaestrus or Thrixopelma. If you're looking to take a step up the imaginary ladder, go with a rowdier NW terrestrial like a Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora or Acanthoscurria. No one can go wrong getting the famous GBB, either.

What's "best" for one person may be totally dull to another. Maybe help us narrow our suggestions by posting what you like.

Best post in this thread.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Ok, the Grammostola pulchra is in a deli and the Brachypelma smithi is in a soufflé cup. This is just to give you an idea. Enjoy!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

micheldied

3 Year Member
Gonna make me blush...

There's just too much truth there. The ladder system IS a good system for those who are completely new to the hobby, and feel like they've never had similar experiences to T keeping. Is it the end all be all? Nope. It's a nice way to progress, but not everyone needs it.

And I feel like it's really tough to answer these "What T should I get next?" questions because they're just too vague, and the posts just have too little detail. I get that many newbs don't know how many species are really out there, but some preferences like eventual size or color would really help those giving the advice.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Glad it helped! The Grammostola pulchra is maybe a hair over 1" and the Brachypelma smithi is just over half an inch. I think the deli is 16 oz btw. You can modify boxes from the container store or use tupperware or vials instead, but the deli works for me!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad it helped! The Grammostola pulchra is maybe a hair over 1" and the Brachypelma smithi is just over half an inch. I think the deli is 16 oz btw. You can modify boxes from the container store or use tupperware or vials instead, but the deli works for me!
u mind pm ing me ur email address id rather not post my address on the forum anywhere...i know its weird. dont mean to be a pain in the butt.