• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula

Thistles

3 Year Member
One of my first two tarantulas was a Grammostola pulchra. She's the sassiest little beast and I love it. She didn't get the notice that she's supposed to be docile. Been like that since she was a sling, and now she's a grown woman and still has the teenager 'tude. There's something endearing about a tiny little animal ready to take on a human.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How was this

How was this hobby done in the 80s and 90F before the net? Oh yeah, we got what we wanted. I told him to research and get what they want.... they are non life threatening spiders, not lions.

Not quite that simple, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Who said I was going anywhere Chubbs? I merely mentioned I could be banned for losing my temper on holier than thou experts..I'm here for the duration :). You won't see me making any farewell posts, I'll go out with a bang. :D

What a day that'll be.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, you found a spine somewhere Chubb's? Looking to show it off, now, are you? Don't forget, I'm not a new hobbyist with questions, don't get too godlike with me, boy.

If I was God, I don't think we'd be having this discussion boy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I was God, I don't think we'd be having this discussion boy.
Nor would we if you were standing in front of me. But that's besides the point, ya? This is the new world, where people get on the internet and say **** to people they normally would never say. There in lies the problem, I think. ;) Maybe if that didn't occur so often, people who try to act decent wouldn't get angry, and say things best left unsaid. But the world is imperfect, so I guess we'll have to continue to dislike each other, with no real resolution. I can live with that, though. Now stop trying to goad me chubby, I've already decided to ignore you and your little girlfriend. There's people I actually like here, no need to lose my temper again and give them a bad, or worse opinion of me. Now piss off, scrub.

londelsh

3 Year Member
It seems like this discussion is starting to take a different path so back to the point I think lol. At first I was thinking of getting a B.Smithi and a Haplopelma Lividum but after research I decided that a Haplopelma Lividum wasn't the best to start with so what about a B.Smithi and a Grammostola Pulchra?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The latter 2 are great choices. You can't go wrong with a Brachy (my favourite is B. Boehmei) and G. Pulchra are stunning big spiders. May I also suggest a G. actaeon? I recently bought a grown on sling and apart from in premolt it's always out and about and a great eater. It's got bluish black legs with a red abdomen, very beautiful.
I don't know about the H. Lividum, but other than they're meant to be very defensive the fact that most are pet holes (burrowers) would put me off as a first(ish) tarantula.
At the end of the day, it's what YOU like and what YOU feel confident with.

londelsh

3 Year Member
The G. Actaeon is a lovely looking T but ino the one T I've always wanted was a B.Smithi and then I saw the G.Pulchra and fell in love with it pitch black gorgeous. I'll be getting them as slings so need to do research into them abit more as never had a sling and my G.Rosea was a Sub adult when I got her

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nor would we if you were standing in front of me. But that's besides the point, ya? This is the new world, where people get on the internet and say **** to people they normally would never say. There in lies the problem, I think. ;) Maybe if that didn't occur so often, people who try to act decent wouldn't get angry, and say things best left unsaid. But the world is imperfect, so I guess we'll have to continue to dislike each other, with no real resolution. I can live with that, though. Now stop trying to goad me chubby, I've already decided to ignore you and your little girlfriend. There's people I actually like here, no need to lose my temper again and give them a bad, or worse opinion of me. Now piss off, scrub.

No need for me to do that, when you're doing a pretty good job of it yourself ;)

Thistles

3 Year Member
The G. Actaeon is a lovely looking T but ino the one T I've always wanted was a B.Smithi and then I saw the G.Pulchra and fell in love with it pitch black gorgeous. I'll be getting them as slings so need to do research into them abit more as never had a sling and my G.Rosea was a Sub adult when I got her
Both smithi and pulchra are great species. I love my pulchra but they grow soooo slowwwwly. They aren't difficult to care for, either. Do it up!

londelsh

3 Year Member
They might be slow growers but that's a good thing as a new T keeper it means I can learn alot from them and hopefully breed them when I get more experience which is what I'll be aiming at .

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess they call it a ladder for a reason. I mean yeah you can jump really high and skip a few steps but you run the risk of tripping and getting your head smashed in. Better err in the safe side. You should know that you will always be accountable for your pet. So it helps to post it here and in the end, the final say will still be yours. We are just your conscience in this matter.

May the force be with you and be wary of the dark side. :T:

Fleas

3 Year Member
To late, you making this good forum feel like the other one that you don't like

londelsh

3 Year Member
So with a sling B.Smithi and G.Pulchra what sort of size tank will I be needing to start of with as I said before I have never had a sling before.

Thistles

3 Year Member
So with a sling B.Smithi and G.Pulchra what sort of size tank will I be needing to start of with as I said before I have never had a sling before.
Yeah, like @RedCapTrio said, vials or delis. The size of the deli will depend on the size of the sling you get. I have slings of both species atm, so I'll try to post a pic of how they're set up in a bit.