• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tarantula

londelsh

3 Year Member
My other half is getting me 2 new tarantulas' but I'm not sure as what ones I want as I'm a new tarantula keeper I was wondering what would be the best ones to get I already have a C.Rose but not sure what would be the best to get any advice as what ones I should get?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Personally I would get a Brachypelma Albopilosum ( Honduran curly hair)
simply because I'm absolutely convinced everyone should have at least one :)
Great starter T, easy keepers, and adorable when full size, These are the ones they refer to as having a
'bad hair day'

Ghost

3 Year Member
Any of the brachys would be excellent for your next addition,their easy to keep and all of mine are great feeders,plus every collection should have at least one of the brachys in it.
Here's some pics of my three favourite brachys in my collection.....
B.baumgarteni
image.jpg

B.annitha
image.jpg

B.albiceps
image.jpg

Jakob

3 Year Member
There are many choices, brachypelma, avicularia, euthalus, lasiodora are all great for beginners.
Find out what you like, do the research and get it!

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The best T's to get are the ones you like. Ignore any "ladder" system, research what you like, learn scientific names, and have fun.

Learn names at swiftinverts dot com
Telling someone new to the hobby to ignore the ladder system is just plain bad advice, whether you yourself agree with it 100 percent or not. Why start off with something fast/defensive/highly venomous, when as far as we know, this member has had zero experience with with any other potentially dangerous animals, so really why risk it? I just don't get this.You might as well say "Get what you like, regardless of how powerful the venom is or how unpredictable it is. Don't worry about these things, just as long as the spider has pretty colors."

Thistles

3 Year Member
I mean, the earth won't open beneath you if you buy an OBT for your first tarantula, but you probably won't have very much fun rehousing it. The "ladder system" is a good guideline. No need to throw it out completely, just as there's no need to adhere to it religiously. Why so all-or-nothing with the ladder? It's good advice, and not a law.

What do you look for in a T? Cool pattern? Always visible? Docile? Feisty? Always hungry? HUGE? Tiny? That will change the answer, since everyone favors different attributes.

I generally suggest that beginners looking to expand their collections get something completely different from what they already have. This lets you learn what you like. Some have already suggested getting an Avicularia sp. They're a little more delicate than some other tarantulas, but still a great choice for a second tarantula. Being arboreal, they're about as different as you can get from a Grammostola rosea. If you're after pretty but still mellow, any of the Brachypelma sp. are good choices, as are other Grammostola, any Euathlus, Paraphysa, Eupalaestrus or Thrixopelma. If you're looking to take a step up the imaginary ladder, go with a rowdier NW terrestrial like a Pamphobeteus, Lasiodora or Acanthoscurria. No one can go wrong getting the famous GBB, either.

What's "best" for one person may be totally dull to another. Maybe help us narrow our suggestions by posting what you like.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
How was this
Telling someone new to the hobby to ignore the ladder system is just plain bad advice, whether you yourself agree with it 100 percent or not. Why start off with something fast/defensive/highly venomous, when as far as we know, this member has had zero experience with with any other potentially dangerous animals, so really why risk it? I just don't get this.You might as well say "Get what you like, regardless of how powerful the venom is or how unpredictable it is. Don't worry about these things, just as long as the spider has pretty colors."
How was this hobby done in the 80s and 90F before the net? Oh yeah, we got what we wanted. I told him to research and get what they want.... they are non life threatening spiders, not lions.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How was this

How was this hobby done in the 80s and 90F before the net? Oh yeah, we got what we wanted. I told him to research and get what they want.... they are non life threatening spiders, not lions.
Couldn't agree more with this statement. We're humans. They're invertebrates with simple brains. Not much challenge there, in my opinion.

Jordan Bean

3 Year Member
Personally I would get a Brachypelma Albopilosum ( Honduran curly hair)
simply because I'm absolutely convinced everyone should have at least one :)
Great starter T, easy keepers, and adorable when full size, These are the ones they refer to as having a
'bad hair day'

I can vouch for that! I've got one, and she's a sweetheart. Though they can be skittish when they're young? (mine's still only a baby and sometimes attacks the tongs I use to give her food)

Jordan Bean

3 Year Member
Couldn't agree more with this statement. We're humans. They're invertebrates with simple brains. Not much challenge there, in my opinion.
My only problem with getting a fancy T would be the difficulty in keeping it. I got a typical starter T because they're generally pretty tough. But hey, research is the key here. If you are capable of taking good care of it then by all means. I didn't want to risk it because I'm a weenie. :p

Jordan Bean

3 Year Member
Being responsible isn't being a weenie. The keeper isn't the only one in the equation. It isn't fair to get an animal you aren't able to adequately provide for.

Very true. It is a good think to have experience in the hobby before you start jumping to a more complex T. But if you think you're capable, you should be able to get whatever kind you want, I think.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Very true. It is a good think to have experience in the hobby before you start jumping to a more complex T. But if you think you're capable, you should be able to get whatever kind you want, I think.
Like you said earlier, research is key. No rules against getting what you want, just try to be prudent.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel much the same, I want to be sure I can adequately
give them what they need and keep them safe and healthy.
While I may not be afraid of them I have a healthy respect for those fangs,
and do NOT want to get them stabbed into me regardless of the venom.
I'm going to go out on a limb here however and mention one reason I love my little T.ockerti
is because shes not skittish but pushy and a bit of a bossy brat.
Shes always ready to kick a few hairs and slap at you,
I keep reminding her shes supposed to be demure and shy.

Guess I like the attitude to an extent :p

naw, I'm lieing, I adore her because she has attitude ^*^