• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEED HELP! I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON!

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I can't quite tell from the pic but I would gently remove her from the water dish. She could've been trying to climb and perhaps fallen into that position? Her book lungs may be submerged partially in that water. If her book lungs are submerged, he/she can't breathe.
What @Casey K. said is right. If the book lungs are submerged any spider will die.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What @Casey K. said is right. If the book lungs are submerged any spider will die.

Especially if submerged for long periods of time. That tarantula was obviously stressed out- probably due to its last days and probably couldn't move from that position, thus would've caused her book lungs to be submerged for long periods of time.....just my theory.

Andrew b

So I've had my chilean rose hair tarantula for a few years now and recently she's been sitting in her water bowl with her legs submerged. But now, she's sitting in it in a strange position and almost half of her body submerged under water. It's making me worry a lot and I don't know what's going on. She hasn't had any problems before. She still reacts when I blow on her.

So I've had my chilean rose hair tarantula for a few years now and recently she's been sitting in her water bowl with her legs submerged. But now, she's sitting in it in a strange position and almost half of her body submerged under water. It's making me worry a lot and I don't know what's going on. She hasn't had any problems before. She still reacts when I blow on her.

View attachment 46152
Leave it be some people on here think that they can drown in a water dish lol. It’s only got it arse in there one of mine has been doing it with the hot weather. All the best tho

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

When a tarantulas book lungs are submerged under water for "extended" periods of time, they can't "breathe". It's unlikely that a tarantula of that size will suffocate in a water dish due to its size compared to the size of that water dish, however, if a tarantula is in distress for any reason that would cause it to be "immobile", that raises concern. If it's immobile, it can't remove itself from the water dish. After all, I'm only offering advice. I'm still learning, myself. I've only been a keeper for about 14 years so I'd say I'm not even close to knowing what I'm talking about, yet. Thank you for schooling me, though. It was quite interesting to learn something new today!!! :) I love to learn new things! I learned that a tarantula can't drown in a water dish! I will be sure and do my research next time so that I don't look like an idiot when I open my mouth.

And it's not drowning....it's suffocating.

This is especially concerning when it comes to slings who have not developed the "waxy" layer over their book lungs that works as sort of a "repellent" of water when they get older.

Last edited:

Latest posts