• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

NEED HELP! I DONT KNOW WHATS GOING ON!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As its an adult female it might just be old age and it is dying? If you bought it as an adult no way of telling how old she is- I just thought it was worth mentioning it- I'm sorry it's sad to watch them struggle :(

So I checked today and now I'm seeing her sit on the bottlecap filled with water. Should I put water back in the original water bowl and let her sit in there? I'm just worried she might drown if I put too much
If she wants to sit in her water bowl let her. She isn’t going to drown. Don’t fill it all the way up, put a small amount in there and see if she goes for it. I wouldn’t take out the cap of water or move her. You’ll just continue to stress her out and that in itself is not good.

Shes unresponsive. I tried touching her legs with a straw and she didnt move. They were like ragdolls.
Can you post a picture of her? I wouldn’t keep bothering her, stress isn’t going to help her at any point especially in this situation. Give her a little bit of water in her water bowl and leave her be. Check on her obviously but the more you disturb her the more stressed and scared she’s going to be. Unfortunately if she’s going to pass there isn’t really much you can do about it, but try to be mindful of how whatever you decide to do to see if she’s still alive affects her.

Can you post a picture of her? I wouldn’t keep bothering her, stress isn’t going to help her at any point especially in this situation. Give her a little bit of water in her water bowl and leave her be. Check on her obviously but the more you disturb her the more stressed and scared she’s going to be. Unfortunately if she’s going to pass there isn’t really much you can do about it, but try to be mindful of how whatever you decide to do to see if she’s still alive affects her.
I kinda understand what you are going through. My female OBT had a bad molt recently where her legs w
No not really but her legs are not spread out like normal theyre closer to her body.
She’s probably stressed.

I kinda understand what you are going through. My female OBT had a bad molt recently where her legs w

She’s probably stressed.
I kinda understand what you are going through. My female OBT had a bad molt recently where her legs were stuck in her molt. I had moved her into a small enclosure until I figured out what I could do to help her. I got the molt off of all but two of her legs that it was stuck on the most. I used tweezers to pinch her legs so she could drop them because I was really worried about her molt pulling her legs off and her bleeding to death. After I got her to drop both of her legs ( first one was easy, quick. The second not so much.) I made sure she had water and put her in the darkest corner of my cubbies where I keep my enclosures, and forced myself to not move her or mess with her for two days. It was so hard because I wanted to check on her every 5 minutes but stress can make an already bad situation worse, so I let her be. She’s still alive. Her legs are really mangled looking, and her pedipalps are bent, but she’s still alive and I’m really, really hoping she’ll molt again and then she’ll be fine. I have to prekill all her food and tong feed her because she can’t really grab onto anything especially anything that’s trying to run away since her pedipalps and legs are all bent. But she does eat and she’s still alive, and throwing treat postures up at me every chance she gets.

Attachments

• 76B499F2-CA0B-451E-B791-DB1A8BD99983.jpeg
    76B499F2-CA0B-451E-B791-DB1A8BD99983.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 7CB2C630-A2F2-4736-B2F1-AC9624E106B1.jpeg
    7CB2C630-A2F2-4736-B2F1-AC9624E106B1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

TankyBoom0_0

She's stayed in this position for the entire day. Didn't move a milimeter. Put some water inside that water bowl but she still hasnt moved.

3673D862-0EA2-452C-83CD-76CAA32EB7E7.jpeg

All of her legs should be curled if she’s in a death curl. The death curl is caused by lack of fluid throughout her body or something along those lines, I’m like 90% sure. I’ve had my T’s sit like that many, many times. I still say leave her be, let her relax and see how she is in a day or two.

TankyBoom0_0

All of her legs should be curled if she’s in a death curl. The death curl is caused by lack of fluid throughout her body or something along those lines, I’m like 90% sure. I’ve had my T’s sit like that many, many times. I still say leave her be, let her relax and see how she is in a day or two.

Alright this is day 2 of her being in that position. She still hasn't moved at all.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just wanted to mention ( and I'm sure other keepers have seen this at some point too) that not all Ts go into a complete death curl when they die, over the years I've had Ts died and there legs are out so to speak and not even in any sort of curl at all? This seems to be the case whenever they've had a moulting issue but I've had MMs pass away without death curling too
Also a dead tarantula will begin to smell and mould very quickly - I know I probably sound quite negative about it.and I hope I'm wrong . I do hope this one is still alive and pulls through but it doesn't sound very hopeful :(

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Smell, eventually, mold, not necessarily. Here is So Cal, where we enjoy a lack of humidity most of the year, I was able to "keep" our death-curled B. albopilosum (now T. albilosis) in just a deli cup along with his penultimate exo. It smells a bit funky, kinda like teenage boy gym socks or aged cheese lol
IMG_20200525_132756.jpg

Don't try this at home in the Britons lol

Latest posts