• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Naming Your T

InsectJess

I name mine when they get a little older. Right now I have 4 subadult/adults that I've named. I have some names I like, but I'm waiting to see who grows into them. :)

A. chalcodes - Silitha
C. cyaneopubescens - Achidna
A. avicularia - Sherhaal
T. albopilosus - Ysilik

Pandora's mom

Well its obvious from the picture what her name is. Just don't open her box she's got a gun.
20210223_162057.jpg

MBullock

3 Year Member
One time i had a derpy aphonopelma eutylenum with a regenerated limb and named him 'Lefty'

other than that, i think i only named a scorpion and a calisoga because they were actual pets, and not livestock for selling.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One time i had a derpy aphonopelma eutylenum with a regenerated limb and named him 'Lefty'

other than that, i think i only named a scorpion and a calisoga because they were actual pets, and not livestock for selling.

I used to name mine when I first started collecting....still name a few in my personal collection but once you start selling, you don't really get attached to them so I don't name mine if I'm not keeping them.

Steve's Ts

I just wanted to take survey of how many people actually name their Tarantulas. Do you or don't you? If you do, do you only name your favourites or all of them? I was curious because I watch a few people on YouTube and they seem to name a few but not all. Why is that? Just curious of your opinions :)
I name all of my Ts. They are all very important to me, and I love them!

ThatGuy83

I name them, but not usually right away, I like to get to know their personalities first. There’s a few exceptions to that though, like my two A. chalchodes are Debbie and Harry because blonde/Blondie. My two C. versicolor are Rick and Morty just because I like that show, and my T. vagans is Bilbo because vagans rhymes with Baggins. A couple other highlights (I think) G. pulchripes is Lorax (the looks), B. albiceps is Pebbles (because it grows and moves about as much as a pebble) and K. brunnipes is (another word for) Richard Legs. My girlfriend named that last one.
I love it! My T vagan's name is Bilbo Vaggins.

x_raphael_xx

I only have 3, so they all have names.

I have Shelob - g.pulchra.
Martin - C.veriscolor (as the common name is Martinque pink toe)
and Queen Gohma - N.chromatus. After the very first boss I defeated in the very first Zelda game I completed, she happened to be a mechanical arachnid.

Jeef

3 Year Member
Most of my names are utilitarian/lazy. It is mostly for the benefit of the non-tarantula people around me. It is easier for folks to talk about Maria rather than the Brachypalma smithi. To play fair, I don't know much about everyone elce's hobbies.

B. smithi is "Maria."
T. albopilosum came as a freebie in a cup labeled "Curly." Done!
A. chalcodes, AKA Arizona Blonde is "Blondie." The kiddo sang "Heart of Glass" for two weeks! Parental win!
B. emelia is... "Emelia."
A. moderatum, AKA Rio Grande Gold is... "Rio." And she dances on the sand.
G. Pulchra is "Carmen." for Carmen Miranda. Because we like Harry Belafonte and "The Banana Boat Song." (it makes sense to me)

I try to name all my pets human names, but then we have these ones.
2 A. henzii named "Big Brown" and "Little Nugget."
C. darlingi called "Wild Creature."

We have a few unnamed ones at the moment. We'll see if they ever get names or not.

I name all of mine!

0.1 P. regalis: Sterling
0.1 P. miranda: Nightshade
0.1 P. metallica: Kali
0.1 P. cambridgei: Crawlspace
0.1 P. irminia: Lenore
0.1 B. hamorii: Binx
0.1 B. emilia: Scarlet
1.0 B. auratum: Xochitl
1.0 Lasiodora klugi: Verdugo
1.0 G. pulchripes: Graham
1.0 C. huahini: Ziplock
1.0 C. cyanopubescens: Lazuli
0.1 Aphonopelma chalcodes: Maricopa
1.0 Aphonopelma seemani: Dampé
0.1 Phormictopus sp. Dominican purple: La gárgola
0.1 Omothymus sp. hati hati: Ursula
0.1 G. porteri: Anastasia
0.1 Ceratogyrus marshalli: Ripley
0.1 Stromatopelma calceatum: Jumanji
0.1 Heteroscodra maculata: Calypso
1.0 Pterinochilus murinus: Moto
1.0 Tapinauchenius violaceus: Ichabod
0.1 Avicularia avicularia M6: Boots
0.1 Theraphosa stirmi: Prisca
0.0.1 P. sazimai: Petri
0.1 Phormictopus auratus: Carmen

x_raphael_xx

Some new spoods arrived today, all but 2 named:

P. auratus - Mr.T
GBB - Spiderbytes (Spider mutant from Ninja Turtles)
OBT - Madame Wotsit (Wotsits are a bright orange cheesey poofs in the UK)
T. albopilosus - Curly
P.irmina - Irma
P.mascara - Mabel
M.balfouri - Nancy Sinatra
A.seemani - Dennis

I also have an a.avics and an a.chalcodes who are waiting on names, and a h.maculata arriving friday, who will need a name.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
Great thread ~•
I name my tarantulas too.

Grammastola rosea- Tilda
Brachypelma emilia- bindi
Tlitocatl vagans - Frida
OBT— Vivian
L. parahybana - Lydia
Hapalopus Sp. Columbia— Pip
H. pulchripes - Boone
D. pentaloris —piccolo
C. leetzi - dot
G. pulchra - Raven
A. chalcodes - Roz
P. cambridgei - Sophia
P. cambridgei - Martha
GBB— Mookie
P. pulcher — Blondie

I have A. geniculata that has yet to be named….

any ideas? :)

x_raphael_xx

I've been wracking my brains the last few days for suitable names for my last two unnamed T's, and tonight I have them!

My Avic avis will be 'Chrysi' - As adults they remind me of the effect of my favourite firework, the one that 'fizzes' with little sparkles at the end. After a little research I've discovered this type of firework is called a 'Crackling Chrysanthemum'.

My A. chalcodes I have named 'Rita Hayworth' - A famous blonde actress with a link to my favourite film of all time - The Shawshank Redemption.