• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Naming Your T

TokeHound

I just wanted to take survey of how many people actually name their Tarantulas. Do you or don't you? If you do, do you only name your favourites or all of them? I was curious because I watch a few people on YouTube and they seem to name a few but not all. Why is that? Just curious of your opinions :)

timc

3 Year Member
I name them, but not usually right away, I like to get to know their personalities first. There’s a few exceptions to that though, like my two A. chalchodes are Debbie and Harry because blonde/Blondie. My two C. versicolor are Rick and Morty just because I like that show, and my T. vagans is Bilbo because vagans rhymes with Baggins. A couple other highlights (I think) G. pulchripes is Lorax (the looks), B. albiceps is Pebbles (because it grows and moves about as much as a pebble) and K. brunnipes is (another word for) Richard Legs. My girlfriend named that last one.

Jenniferinfl

They vary, some species are more 'outgoing' than others.

I don't name all of mine, but, some of them really stand out. My Avics/Caribena tend to end up with names. I spend so much time worrying about them when they are little that they just end up with names. My C. versicolor sling that didn't eat at all between molts I've taken to calling Tiny. But, now he's finally eating again, snacking on a decent sized cricket at the moment. There's been lots of conversations about that one, and it's easier to say "did Tiny finally eat?" Then to ask if that smallest C. versicolor finally ate.

My Grammostola's tend to end up with names- they're just kind of funny and it's easy to name them. My G. pulchra I've already started calling Moose because it reminds me of my aunt's old Labrador by the same name.. lol

My P muticus is probably going to end up with a name because he's a ridiculous butthead. Had one before that was basically a pet hole- this one comes charging out when even slightly disturbed- basically imagine he's screaming "THIS IS SPARTA" while he comes running out... lol Maybe he'll end up Leonidas? But, remains to be seen. Bitey McBitePants seems to be catching on stronger.

I don't feel a need to name them, but, for whatever reason some here and there will end up with a name, usually because they are an outlier personality wise, out all the time, something like that. I have a mantid that always runs out on my hand, that one's named Pinky because he's an idiot. By the time I get him back in his enclosure, his fruit flies have escaped. The smarter one that stays in the enclosure to eat is Brain, you know, like Animaniacs.. lol

TokeHound

They vary, some species are more 'outgoing' than others.

I don't name all of mine, but, some of them really stand out. My Avics/Caribena tend to end up with names. I spend so much time worrying about them when they are little that they just end up with names. My C. versicolor sling that didn't eat at all between molts I've taken to calling Tiny. But, now he's finally eating again, snacking on a decent sized cricket at the moment. There's been lots of conversations about that one, and it's easier to say "did Tiny finally eat?" Then to ask if that smallest C. versicolor finally ate.

My Grammostola's tend to end up with names- they're just kind of funny and it's easy to name them. My G. pulchra I've already started calling Moose because it reminds me of my aunt's old Labrador by the same name.. lol

My P muticus is probably going to end up with a name because he's a ridiculous butthead. Had one before that was basically a pet hole- this one comes charging out when even slightly disturbed- basically imagine he's screaming "THIS IS SPARTA" while he comes running out... lol Maybe he'll end up Leonidas? But, remains to be seen. Bitey McBitePants seems to be catching on stronger.

I don't feel a need to name them, but, for whatever reason some here and there will end up with a name, usually because they are an outlier personality wise, out all the time, something like that. I have a mantid that always runs out on my hand, that one's named Pinky because he's an idiot. By the time I get him back in his enclosure, his fruit flies have escaped. The smarter one that stays in the enclosure to eat is Brain, you know, like Animaniacs.. lol
I love this!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
All of mine have names and Wiki is my friend. I look up the area the T originates from and pick a name from there, often a town, river, volcano or sometimes an indigenous tribe. It also helps me learn a bit about their homelands.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have named two of my four tarantulas. I am a big fan of fantasy books, so my 2"+ female G. pulchra (from Casey K) is named Polgara after a strong willed, sometimes temperamental, raven- haired sorceress from the David Eddings series of books.

For my 2.5"+ G. rosea (from tomz1637), I drew upon my amusement of how tarantulas use their abdomens - lifting it up in defense or bobbing it around as they clean house or make webbing. His name is Harrison "Harry" Bottom.

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I used to name slings when I got them in batches of 2-4. Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael, and Michelangelo. Or Hannibal, Face, BA and Murdoch. I've gotten away from naming pets if they don't respond or follow specific commands - my dogs have names, both my cats answer to 'puss'.
Not to say nicknames don't emerge after a while. After 4-5 years my G. iheringi has become 'Long Tall Sally'.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I name my babies as they grow older and I learn their personalities or see how they are looking into adulthood. All of my animals are named after something Tolkien.
My cat - Beorn
A seemani - Strider
C versicolor - Shelob
2 T albo- Gimili and Bilbo
P metallica - Erebor
B hamorii - Samwise Gamgee
B emilia - Radagast

UNAMED
T apophysis (maybe Sauron)
2 N incei gold (one might become Legolas)
2 N incei olive
2 L parahybana

timc

3 Year Member
I name my babies as they grow older and I learn their personalities or see how they are looking into adulthood. All of my animals are named after something Tolkien.
My cat - Beorn
A seemani - Strider
C versicolor - Shelob
2 T albo- Gimili and Bilbo
P metallica - Erebor
B hamorii - Samwise Gamgee
B emilia - Radagast

UNAMED
T apophysis (maybe Sauron)
2 N incei gold (one might become Legolas)
2 N incei olive
2 L parahybana
One of those LPS needs to be Balrog. And you definitely need a Gandalf lol

smallbike

3 Year Member
I "only" have 3, so naming is definitely a thing! The A. seemanni is Spinelli (like the show Recess), and the C. versicolor sling is Mittens.

I just got an H. chilensis and I'm thinking about a name for her - she's my holy grail species so I want to name her after something from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Thoughts so far:

May, short for "Brother Maynard and the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch"?
Newt, as in "I got better"?
Zoot, who lit the beacon, which I just remembered, is grail-shaped?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Of the three you suggest, I like Zoot, who did in fact light the beacon that is grail shaped.

" Oh, wicked, bad, naughty Zoot!" Her sister says about her.

holotype

Naming helps when you have multiple specimens and are trying to refer to them while having a discussion about them with others. When discussing with others, it's easier to refer to them by a name, label or ID. Like #3 is growing much faster than #6. It's easier than saying, "last night the brown one on the left side molted"... especially if you have multiple "brown" specimens etc. It's probably why we have names... because our ancestors had so many children, had to distinguish somehow... (speculation lol). It even happens if you work in the same office with multiple "Chris'" or "Mike's", you are then forced to give them nicknames or attach a number or last initial to their name... my 2 cents.

Fish

I have "Peach" but I didn't name her. She's an a. avicularia, so she has peach-colored toes, which is a good enough reason for the name for me. I love the cutesy name, honestly, but probably wouldn't have named her that on my own. I know she won't come when called or anything like that, but it's still nice to have a name for a critter you're caring for.

Earlgrey 0

I just wanted to take survey of how many people actually name their Tarantulas. Do you or don't you? If you do, do you only name your favourites or all of them? I was curious because I watch a few people on YouTube and they seem to name a few but not all. Why is that? Just curious of your opinions :)
I've named mine. Even though at the moment I only have two. Wednesday is my grammostola pulchra, and marylin is my aphonopelma chalcodes. Some of my friends don't name. Each too there own.