• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My LP

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Greedy Gomper has been Not So Greedy Gomper since moulting a week ago and has been refusing to eat mealworms. Managed to get tiny crickets yesterday and put one and a mealworm in. Overkill! Came down to the best ever sight of Gomper chomping the cricket over the waterdish. The mealworm was untouched. Guess it's just a fussy beep beep!

IMG_20190928_053819~2.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Gomper had another cricket tonight and sorry for the blurry close up taken through the lid, butI wanted to post it to show the leg growth.

IMG_20191001_011105~2.jpg

One heck of a set of legs! See a lot less of it since moulting as it actively hides under it's leaf, whereas before it was out all the time. It only comes out in the dark now. If I turn on the light, it scurries back under the leaf.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thought I'd update my Greedy Gomper thread, even though there's not a lot to say other than its butt is beginning to resemble a builders bum ...

IMG_20191014_003305~2.jpg

Spends most of its time hiding under the leaf. Only eats around 7-10 days, though I have been offering every 3 days in the hope of speeding up it's moulting cycle (cue despairing laughter). Probably will start offering once a week, until it shows signs of wanting to feed more often.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thought I'd update my Greedy Gomper thread, even though there's not a lot to say other than its butt is beginning to resemble a builders bum ...

View attachment 41379

Spends most of its time hiding under the leaf. Only eats around 7-10 days, though I have been offering every 3 days in the hope of speeding up it's moulting cycle (cue despairing laughter). Probably will start offering once a week, until it shows signs of wanting to feed more often.
Awww Gomper is getting pudgy :)

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He spent a good 18 hours eating that cricket. Loved how he discarded the left over bit in his waterdish
Wow Gomper really savored the meal :) I like it when they put the bolus in a place where it is easy to see it and remove it, with my M. balfouris they dont make it that easy lol.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My one has been in a burrow for 22 days now. Got it on 6th Nov - it walled up the front of the half pot, dug a burrow and has resolutely stayed down there. Presumably in pre-moult, so hopefully he/she will emerge a larger spider than when I last saw him.

Lasiodora parahybana

I would imagine so. I've had a couple of T's do that on a rehousing, it just seems to trigger that upcoming moulting process. Your one is a beauty and I'm looking forward to my one getting that size. They are not the prettiest when they are tiny. Once they get a bit hairier they look a lot nicer IMO. Lol

OldeNaturalist

I would imagine so. I've had a couple of T's do that on a rehousing, it just seems to trigger that upcoming moulting process. Your one is a beauty and I'm looking forward to my one getting that size. They are not the prettiest when they are tiny. Once they get a bit hairier they look a lot nicer IMO. Lol

Can't wait! So far we have had just a pet box of cocoa fibre. I am completely fascinated by them now though.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
It's a Christmas miracle!! Gomper's moulted on Xmas Day.

I noticed late on Xmas Eve he was hanging on the side of the enclosure near the water dish (his favourite spot to moult) looking like he was preparing to flip. I kept checking but he didn't budge and I gave up and went to bed :D

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
You are lucky with Gomper! Most of mine I have not seen for over 3 months...:(
After this moult he's started burrowing proper (before he'd move a bit of substrate then give up after creating a bit of a scrape that he'd quickly abandon). Now he's got a multi entrance tunnel thing going on! So I don't think I'll be seeing a lot of him lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Might just be a phase. Have 5 lps and althou 1s mm they are all visible at all times. It’ll pass
They certainly seem to have phases of different behaviours at stages of development so you're probably right. Last moult he was using the leaf as a hide after completely ignoring it prior. Maybe he'll return to it at some point. Eventually as he grows he will stay in the open, because that seems to be most people's experience with their larger specimens.

It's my aim to periodically update this thread until 'he' reaches adulthood so that I can look back and see a complete record of growth and my observations. Easier to do with a faster growing species and it's my tribute to Gomper too. He'll always be special to me :)