• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My ackie thread, or, The spiney tailed monitor thread.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, every day this guy gets more active and social and unafraid. He's not quite as bold as Tom's babys, but he's doing well, and progressing. We have a morning ritual now. I come home, attend to my dogs, and then sit at my desk. After a few minutes, he comes out of the rockpile and goes to the feeding slab. He watches me constantly now. He's looking at me right now, lmao. After I tong feed him, he goes away for a bit, and then reappears at the top basking rock, and craps in THE EXACT SAME PLACE, every morning. He lifts both back legs, arches his back and dumps a load, and I dont mean in the general area, I mean in the exact same place he did for the last few days. Like there's a toilet there :D I find that fascinating, for some reason. If he isn't in the open, basking, he's either sleeping or peeking at me from different spots in his rock pile. He came to his feeding rock a minute ago, after I fed him earlier, so I put some dubia nymphs on it. He watched them run off. I put a superworm instead, and he watched it crawl away. I put my hand in and rubbed his neck for like two seconds, and he flicked his tongue several times and ****ed his head at my hand, then followed my arm up to my face, and ****ed his head even more. Then he went to his house. These aren't stupid animals, eating machines with no soul. They arent like geckos, or anoles, or rat snakes..they're intelligent. They interact with you, and seem to enjoy social interactions. I can't recommend them enough..they're worth every penny you pay for them. This is just the beginning for me and monitor lizards.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When you look at a monitor lizard, someone is looking back at you. :)
This. I guess I'm new to monitors, and possibly over excited, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the only reptile I've ever seen that will bond with a human. There may be a few more that come close, and tolerate us, even "like" us. But I refuse to believe there's a reptile out there that is as intelligent and curious as monitors..if I'm wrong, then by all means, school me. Someone tell me I'm wrong. I want to hear it, I'm a reptile noob, but not completely. I watch native reptiles as often as possible, just like any other animal. There's a reason that studies are being done on these guys. Divergent evolution theories, problem solving tests(like with rats, weasels, etc..), that kind of **** doesn't happen spontaneously, it happens for a reason. Smart, curious humans are studying them for a reason. All this should be reason enough for animal lovers to get one..they are FANTASTIC.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
This. I guess I'm new to monitors, and possibly over excited, but it doesn't change the fact that this is the only reptile I've ever seen that will bond with a human. There may be a few more that come close, and tolerate us, even "like" us. But I refuse to believe there's a reptile out there that is as intelligent and curious as monitors..if I'm wrong, then by all means, school me. Someone tell me I'm wrong. I want to hear it, I'm a reptile noob, but not completely. I watch native reptiles as often as possible, just like any other animal. There's a reason that studies are being done on these guys. Divergent evolution theories, problem solving tests(like with rats, weasels, etc..), that kind of **** doesn't happen spontaneously, it happens for a reason. Smart, curious humans are studying them for a reason. All this should be reason enough for animal lovers to get one..they are FANTASTIC.
I'll tell you you're wrong!

Blue tongue skinks are this way too. Maybe even more so. They are certainly less frenetic and jumpy than the varanids, but intelligence and thoughtfulness is similar. Also, many tortoise species are interactive this way. Ask anyone with a sulcata or a Desert Tortoise. They follow you like a puppy and contemplate what you are doing even when food is not involved. In the snake world, the Drymarchon have a reputation for being thoughtful and intelligent, as do King Cobras.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll tell you you're wrong!

Blue tongue skinks are this way too. Maybe even more so. They are certainly less frenetic and jumpy than the varanids, but intelligence and thoughtfulness is similar. Also, many tortoise species are interactive this way. Ask anyone with a sulcata or a Desert Tortoise. They follow you like a puppy and contemplate what you are doing even when food is not involved. In the snake world, the Drymarchon have a reputation for being thoughtful and intelligent, as do King Cobras.
A blue tongue is my next purchase, either a mereluke or a northern. I haven't heard that about tortoises...hmmm. The cobra though, I'll let you or LC tell me about those..NOPE..

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always liked lizards, Blue Tongues, Sleepy Lizards(Shingleback) and Bearded Dragons are some of the local lizards here, lots of smaller skinks and geckos too of course but my favourite choice for a pet would have to be the Sleepy Lizards, so mellow but also very responsive. I have usually kept them outside and despite sleeping beneath cover most of the day they get to know who's coming and be waiting at the aviary door for me.
One of the funniest associations between species was when I had a bearded dragon and a burrowing frog together in a terrarium. I had a feeding tube in the lid so I could drop insects in without opening the lid and the frog (who was always buried otherwise) would know when I had insects and would pop it's head up under the tube ready, as soon as the lizard saw that he would leap down from his log and firmly tread on it's head with one or both of it's front feet so the frog couldn't eat! Once the lizard was full it would let the frog eat but still stood by in case something particularly tasty looking came down the tube in which case it would tread on the frogs' nose again. Funny stuff, they lived together for years.

P.S. Good to catch up with you all, I had stuff to deal with and am getting ready to move house, also my tarantulas have been dormant and not eating for a couple of months so I've really had nothing to report anyway except that because the spiders and scorps have been boring I've started ant keeping.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dare I ask the question..? What is it LC? (Neck hair raising up..) lmao..
Make that 2 arrivals,first is a cerastes gasperettii (Arabian Desert Horned Viper) and i just bought something else as well yesterday, that will be here 12th October and that is a Sistrurus miliarius barbouri (Dusky Pigmy Rattlesnake) Stripe morph. :D:D:D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always liked lizards, Blue Tongues, Sleepy Lizards(Shingleback) and Bearded Dragons are some of the local lizards here, lots of smaller skinks and geckos too of course but my favourite choice for a pet would have to be the Sleepy Lizards, so mellow but also very responsive. I have usually kept them outside and despite sleeping beneath cover most of the day they get to know who's coming and be waiting at the aviary door for me.
One of the funniest associations between species was when I had a bearded dragon and a burrowing frog together in a terrarium. I had a feeding tube in the lid so I could drop insects in without opening the lid and the frog (who was always buried otherwise) would know when I had insects and would pop it's head up under the tube ready, as soon as the lizard saw that he would leap down from his log and firmly tread on it's head with one or both of it's front feet so the frog couldn't eat! Once the lizard was full it would let the frog eat but still stood by in case something particularly tasty looking came down the tube in which case it would tread on the frogs' nose again. Funny stuff, they lived together for years.

P.S. Good to catch up with you all, I had stuff to deal with and am getting ready to move house, also my tarantulas have been dormant and not eating for a couple of months so I've really had nothing to report anyway except that because the spiders and scorps have been boring I've started ant keeping.
Lol, that's hilarious! I may get a bearded dragon as well. Not sure yet. Space is limited, especially with large reptile enclosures.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This little guy is adapting very well to his new home. This morning he was awake before I was. I woke up and he was staring at me from his top basking rock. When I turned on the light and sat at my desk, he moved to his feeding slab and waited :D I made him take dubia this time, I dont want him just eating worms. He loves him some superworms. He's looking kind of plump now. After breakfast I came back into the room too fast and startled him. Man he's quick when he's scared! He came right back out though when he realized nothing was after him. He watches me constantly, and will fall asleep sometimes in the open now.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You guys only get the Centrals, they're not like the lithe brown/grey Beardies we know in the bush. It's like comparing wild budgies to the big boof headed show budgies! At last count I think it is 9 species of bearded dragons in Australia.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our former Prime Minister in his budgie smugglers came up eh? :)
Worst invention ever, having everything on show while your bits are retracting into your body from the cold water! Only for the big and brave my friend!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So. I havent bought a new phone yet(tbh I hate cell phones with great passion), but as an update..he's getting very comfortable in his house. He has several favorite spots to bask, but his sleeping spot is what people call a "scrape", a shallow ditch under a large rock, with an escape exit. He's made no attempt to burrow at all. Which leads me to think that the observations made by Aussies in the wild are correct..go figure..I think it's the ovulating females that burrow, to get that 85º perfect egg temp. My boy likes to explore, eat, and observe me and my dogs daily. I'm in love with this guy. He'll watch me all day, until my bull terrier jumps on my bed. At which time he changes to his stealth position, with just his head poking out, and then he watches her constantly..lmao, he's figuring us all out. Its mesmerizing..

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hey!!! @MassExodus

Where did you go? How is your lizard?

Mine are doing well. I sold one, so I'm down to three. I like it better that way. Mine had a dry start on sand, but the moderate humidity and damp substrate is suiting them well. I was feeding them 100% insects. Gut loaded all the time and calcium dusted about half the time. Growth was minimal. I decided to start adding some "meat" to their diet once or twice a week, and man, what a difference! I'm giving them a little finely chopped quail, English house sparrow, and mouse. I just take a little of my hawk's food and cut it up super fine for them. They eat it right out of a bowl. I started this about a month ago, and they've grown more in that month than they have since I got them. I haven't taken any pics lately, but I'll get some tomorrow.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Tom. Long story short, I had an open topped enclosure. I didnt worry because my dog kept the two cats well away from that side of the house. Then my dog Piggy, 6 yrs old, died from a genetic kidney disease, and I didnt have the presence of mind to realize my lizard was in danger..sooo, yeah. Plus a bunch of other ****ing fantastic things have happened, which I won't bore everyone with. Life always gets better, though. Especially after your indictment period expires. Glad to hear yours are doing well. I miss mine. Not as much as my dog though. That one sent me over the deep end, unfortunately.

Latest posts