• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My ackie thread, or, The spiney tailed monitor thread.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have about a week until I get my small juvie ackie monitor. I've purchased a 1 out of 2 home for him. Its a 75 gallon glass terrarium..
He's not half grown but these guys need room to run. They aint spiders. They need a LOT of space, and daily interaction/socialization. Plus a 130º basking spot, a retes stack, 80º ambient temp on the cool side of their enclosures, proper sub, and a garaunteed 20 yrs of care. These are VERY intelligent predators, that get on well with people, much like dogs and cats.
His adult enclosure will cost me about $400 dollars, the same price as the lizard himself. You'll be lucky to find one cheaper..I could build one, cheap, and have to replace it in a year or two, or buy one for the above amount, made out of pvc, that will last FOREVER. The choice is pretty easy to make..But I do work for a living, so..if you don't, don't overreach..or do, and I'll buy it off you for cheap when you can't feed it govmt cheese..lmao..ahhhhh.
Anyway, I will update this thread soon, when I have the temporary enclosure just right, and when I get him. Or her. I'll also record his/her taming and handling. I'm just excited enough to do it! Usually I don't give a **** about sharing my experiences, but I'm new to this, and jacked up!

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So here's a very good resource for varanus keepers, if anyone is interested. A Guide To Australian Monitors in Captivity, by Dr. Danny Brown. I'm very pleased that I found this. Fixing to read through it again. This is a fella that knows his stuff, its a great book. He covers every aspect of care, and a whole lot more.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is a good thing. I never ship live animals on a Thursday or Friday. Too much risk of them spending the weekend in a warehouse some where.

Can't wait to see it!

Now maybe I'll have a chance to get mine before you! :)
Yeah he gave the same reason. Which is good cause I keep changing my enclosure, not happy with it yet. Still gotta find some more rocks as well. Tom have you checked out the NERD videos on youtube? He's got the big monitors acting like puppydogs..it's amazing to watch.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah he gave the same reason. Which is good cause I keep changing my enclosure, not happy with it yet. Still gotta find some more rocks as well. Tom have you checked out the NERD videos on youtube? He's got the big monitors acting like puppydogs..it's amazing to watch.
Yes. I've raised a few of those over the years and intend to get another one soon. His prices are absurdly high.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I wanted a trio, but I found a friend of a friend selling a group of four. Who am I to argue? These guys are only a couple months old he said.
IMG_6743.JPG

IMG_6732.JPG

IMG_6734.JPG

Here is an over head of their enclosure. Its kind of busy. Two hides, climbing logs, a big pool, basking shelf, non-basking shelf, a few decorations that I had laying around…
IMG_6737.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Omg. Four beauties..they, and the enclosure, look fantastic! I should have worn my white pants..you can see their intelligence in every move, even in pics. Gorgeous specimens Tom, keep posting here! I'll make a point of taking more pics now. Here's my enclosure. I have two lamps set aside, I've been playing with my lighting and heat, and enclosure contents. I ended up getting a 250 watt heat floodlamp for the basking spot today, because of low temps. Its the clamp lamp shown in the pic. Basking spot is at 120 and rising. I have 6 different bulbs and three lamp holders now..I get paranoid until I'm sure of things, lol. The towel over the cool end is temporary, of course. I'm experimenting ;)
15366347413491932852352.jpg
15366347413491932852352.jpg
1536634791605461514765.jpg

Mine is a little busy too, but I hear they like that. Sorry for pic quality, my phone camera blows..

Attachments

• 15366348458091386093534.jpg
    15366348458091386093534.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 4

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I love the decorations, but the sand scares me. I work with a lot of reptile vets and the number of sand impaction cases they see is disheartening. I know some people do it, but I won't risk it.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah I keep second guessing the sand too, but after reading Dr Browns book (He's a reptile vet too) Im going to go with it. He keeps them very hot, and he says impaction is caused more by incorrect temps than substrate. He uses 100% sand. I also worry about the rock pile/basking spot that looks awesome(all I see is glare in the pic, lol). All of the rocks are big and heavy, and touching the bottom under the sand, and all are propped firmly against each other..but the burrowing scares me. I'll be watching closely to see where and how it burrows..also, my basking spot is now a steady 150º, which is uncomfortably hot to the touch, but I can still keep my hand on it. Perfect, according to the good Dr. I'm just going to go with it, tbh Im stressing myself out over these things :eek:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So. My basking temp is now 157º F. Steady.
My cool end is 78º F. I have one 250 watt clamp lamp, pointed directly at a stepped rock basking platform, a completely open top, and ambient room humidity of 60. I'm leaving it right there. I'll spray the cool end occasionaly, see how it works. Of course he'll have a fresh waterdish at all times. I'll be feeding him (a small juvie) every day. His temps will remain constant until he's an adult. I'm basically following Dr's orders. Lmao. @Tortoise Tom I appreciate all the info, I've never doubted you, not once. I'm positive if you post care info, it works. But this Doc seems to be an expert on his native species. I'm commited to following his care. I would be willing to bet I know my native tarantula sp.(A anax) better than most of the people on this forum, or any other. Barring arachnologists. I have to go with the Doc's recommendations. Logic dictates. As an example, you'll find a few videos of Texas T's with frogs in their burrows. And retarded theorys of frogs/tarantulas working together in some kind of symbiosis..I'm telling you all right now, it's horse****. Pure and simple. I won't argue a point I know to be true, don't bother folks. I know, simply stating it doesn't mean anything, without proof.. I don't care. I won't debate horse**** theorys.
You want info on sp in say..California? Ask if there's a guy there that's been observing, keeping, and seeing them in the wild constantly. I'm a fan of common sense observations. Hopefully my methods don't kill my $415 Veranus acanthurus. I highly doubt they will. I'm just crazy like that;)

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I'm not offended in any way. I just wanted to mention it because of what I've seen in the past. Conversation among friends. If something happened and I'd said nothing, I'd feel pretty awful. Now at least you've got all the info and can make your own informed decision. I hope the Doc is right and I'm worried about nothing. I've raised lots of varanids, but never this species, so I'm learning right along with you, and enjoying every minute of it.