• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Guess what I'm getting!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We need to name them!

I don't like keeping them and then keeping track of them a smithi 1 and smithi 2 then chaco 1 and chaco 2. So, I named them Dos Chac and Tres Chac. :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I didn't realize it would have pattern and color already , cant wait to get it.
From what I've read they only get to about two inches.

Thistles

3 Year Member
That Cyriocosmus ritae looks like a juvenile, not such a baby! They're Itsybitsy. I had a World of Warcraft toon named Thistles and I eventually started using it for my screen names all over.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think it's Davos fasciatus now, but I've seen pentalore as well. Anyway congrats! :D

That was what I understood at first but apparently it is D. pentaloris. NicholasC posted a link to a Swiss forum that explains it. Here's a translation of what it said:-
Remarks: According to the World Spider Catalog genus Davus is again considered to be valid and freed from the Synonomyisierung with Cyclosternum. D.pentaloris is traded in the hobby often (fasciatum Cyclosternum) as Davus fasciatus. The species was assigned due to the spermathecae but the type Davus pentaloris, served as a basis of comparison with the sperm bar shape as in Schmidt ready. In D.pentaloris is a rather small permanent tarantula which comes from the dry forests of Guatemala and Mexico. Since this type but is offered from bred for 15 years and precise localities and specific evidence of life are virtually non-existent, it is difficult to give accurate information. In the terrarium, these types hold relatively easily and also grow. The ground should be 10 cm, as this kind also like digging mind.. The substrate should be moistened and every week a little be wetted with water. Hiding from cork or other woods are gladly accepted and consequently used as protection. I could make out no distinct spin behavior and also grave activities comply so far limited. It will often report the speed and startle response of this kind, which I do not can not be said of my animal.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it's Davos fasciatus now, but I've seen pentalore as well. Anyway congrats! :D
wait.....Gods, :(
I cant keep up with all these names,
'learn the proper name they said'
and I'd love to, if they could decide what it was and leave it alone:mad:

Cyclosternum fasciatum >nope o_O>Davus pentaloris>nope o_O> Davus fasciatus :rolleyes:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wait.....Gods, :(
I cant keep up with all these names,
'learn the proper name they said'
and I'd love to, if they could decide what it was and leave it alone:mad:

Cyclosternum fasciatum >nope o_O>Davus pentaloris>nope o_O> Davus fasciatus :rolleyes:
almost easier to use the common name. That hasn't changed yet lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I made the same comment about it being easier to use the common names if they keep swapping like this. I've had 3 of my lot change names in the last couple of weeks.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I made the same comment about it being easier to use the common names if they keep swapping like this. I've had 3 of my lot change names in the last couple of weeks.
Good thing i dont' have any of those yet :) i'd be burning through my label paper lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good thing i dont' have any of those yet :) i'd be burning through my label paper lol.

Yes, I'm glad I only put their pet names on the labels on the containers and all their proper names are on my PC so they're easy to change :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol! I bought easy peel labels so it won't be to much of an issue. Just trying so hard to learn about them all and they keep changing things.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I use those labels made for canning that have a dry erase surface. I write the scientific names in Sharpie (comes off with alcohol) and then have a wet-erase marker I use to write the last molt date. They're really easy to clean and remove and restick.

These things: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removab...396579&sr=8-1&keywords=avery+dry+erase+labels

But I cut mine up so I get like 6 cages done with one label.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use those labels made for canning that have a dry erase surface. I write the scientific names in Sharpie (comes off with alcohol) and then have a wet-erase marker I use to write the last molt date. They're really easy to clean and remove and restick.

These things: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-Labels-Border-41450/dp/B00BPZNQR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450396579&sr=8-1&keywords=avery dry erase labels

But I cut mine up so I get like 6 cages done with one label.
Oh that's an awesome idea, didn't even realize they made dry erase lablels!

swimbait

3 Year Member
So much more confusion arises when uses common names, scientific names don't change that frequently. Some of the common names I see for Ts online are absurd

Thistles

3 Year Member
Oh that's an awesome idea, didn't even realize they made dry erase lablels!
Avery is the brand. I'll upload some pics in a few. I've been using them for a few years and I'm pretty happy with my system. I also have a database, but this is good for quick reference.

@swimbait I completely agree and I don't even know half of the "common names" of my tarantulas. I still like to call Psalmopoeus irminia "Suntiger" though, because that name is freakin' sweet.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMPO they shouldn't change at all, how many times do you need to reclassify something.
No ones arguing the point that the scientific names should be learned and used,
just ranting because its an annoyance when they switch them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tip for the sharpies on the dry erase labels. A dry erase market will remove them. Works on most solid surfaces also like plastic glass etc.