• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia sp. "Peru Purple sling died after 2 days

Keymond69

If the substrate is dry and you only misted as is shown in the picture, it's possible it could be dehydration. This is because misting dries up quickly. I can't tell by the photo is its abdomen looks shriveled. That would be a sign of this. Since you don't have much ventilation, maybe the water droplets would have lasted longer for you than it does me. I dont see cross ventalation on the sides. Do you have any ventalation on the top? If it has no ventalation it can run out of air. I don't know how long this takes though. I know some people keep their T's enclosed in trash bags while spraying for bugs in their home for a short time due to their low need for oxygen. It seems like it could be a weakling though, as I've had mine in less than ideal conditions and had no deaths. I think healthy slings should be able to go a couple days without food or oxygen and still survive. I could be wrong though, im still a beginner myself.
Had this both sides , not enough?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

Keymond69

Although what others have said is good advice, I really don't believe anything you may have done in 2 days would have caused its death. I'd say more like it was just one of those that wasn't meant to live.
Not a great experience for you but don't give up, get another T soon.
Thanks means alot , im so gutted that I caused it to die :( I thought I was doing it right im not beginner. The ventilation was both sides, I know people keep them in little pots with hardly any ventilation. :/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks means alot , im so gutted that I caused it to die :( I thought I was doing it right im not beginner. The ventilation was both sides, I know people keep them in little pots with hardly any ventilation. :/

You did not cause it to die, nothing you could have done would kill a T in 2 days unless you dropped it. Please don't think that. Have you told the breeder what has happened?

Keymond69

You did not cause it to die, nothing you could have done would kill a T in 2 days unless you dropped it. Please don't think that. Have you told the breeder what has happened?
No I most definitely didn't drop it, yes I have emailed the spider shop, hopefully they will replace the t and I can try again with all the advice off you guys.

From looking seems like enough ventilation? if you have that on 2-3 sides that should be enough. I've seen videos of Tom's Big Spiders with Avic genus and he doesn't seem to have much more vent than your pics. Avics are super fragile and known to die. Even Tom has trouble with them.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything said about ventilation and keeping conditions right is spot on. Also concur with comment about deaths in "waves". I keep a spreadsheet for every spider ever owned and when you have large collections I have found death rate to be 7% of my collection. That is usually a combination of bad moults, Mature Males seeing out their days, old age or just "unknown" factors. I have always been relatively lucky with avics and never experienced the SADS. I have a dedicated spider room where pretty much every T is kept in same conditions. Temps about 23/24° daytime dropping to 19° at night (all thermostatically and fan controlled), all enclosures have cross ventilation and mainly dry substrate with an open water dish available at all times.
Only exceptions to this are the Therophosa sp. and a couple of other species that require higher humidity. The humidity in the spider room is usually about 65% which is standard for the UK but if the room heater is on and things dry out a bit more, then I also have a himidifyer to pump up the humidity in the room if needed (very rare though)

Not everyone can heat a room and have hundreds of spiders in one place but the cross ventilation, dry(ish) sub and water dish is a basic need for any spider. Hope that helps.

Keymond69

Everything said about ventilation and keeping conditions right is spot on. Also concur with comment about deaths in "waves". I keep a spreadsheet for every spider ever owned and when you have large collections I have found death rate to be 7% of my collection. That is usually a combination of bad moults, Mature Males seeing out their days, old age or just "unknown" factors. I have always been relatively lucky with avics and never experienced the SADS. I have a dedicated spider room where pretty much every T is kept in same conditions. Temps about 23/24° daytime dropping to 19° at night (all thermostatically and fan controlled), all enclosures have cross ventilation and mainly dry substrate with an open water dish available at all times.
Only exceptions to this are the Therophosa sp. and a couple of other species that require higher humidity. The humidity in the spider room is usually about 65% which is standard for the UK but if the room heater is on and things dry out a bit more, then I also have a himidifyer to pump up the humidity in the room if needed (very rare though)

Not everyone can heat a room and have hundreds of spiders in one place but the cross ventilation, dry(ish) sub and water dish is a basic need for any spider. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-153337_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-153337_Gallery.jpg
    696.6 KB · Views: 9

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
that's how I keep mine so conditions look fine. Probably a fragile spider to begin with. If from a reputable supplier thay may be willing to offer a replacement?

Glad that they are sending you a replacement! That's very good service. They will have long term repeat customers.

Here's my favorite small setup that I copied from another thread. Difference is that she was a first timer and you are experienced. It is bigger than you need, but is an optional idea with the following benefits. This is not intended for some of our sellers or for a breeder with 200 slings. It's intended for typical pet slings.

1. Large top for easy access.
2. Large top provides excellent ventilation.
3. Flat sides make it an easy to clean viewable display enclosure.
4. Weight and base make it more stable and less likely to knock over.
5. Enough room to place a hygrometer if consistent humidity is a concern.
6. Space to avoid feeders if not hungry. My opinion is that this lowers potential stress.

"If you clean the container and decide to replace the bedding, use vinegar to wipe it down real well. Use a rag that has been washed and not used for furniture polish or anything else. Rinse thoroughly inside and out. Vinegar works good to get rid of most chemicals and mold. Smell the inside of the container. It's usually not an issue , but on the rare occasion some plastic containers have serious chemicals that can not be washed off. They all have plasticizers that are chemicals that make plastic flexible. If you can smell it, it's probably bad for Momo. If you can't smell it, I don't worry about it. Replace with a good one accordingly. It wouldn't hurt and might help. If so, glass is good, IF a screen escape proof top can be fastened. I've used rimmed fish bowls before. Round side, flat front with a flared lip opening. Cut a Piece of white "sheer" curtain material draped on top held in place with three rubber bands (or cord + rubber band).... because rubber bands will eventually break. You can buy a one foot piece of sheer at any fabric store. It's also what a bride's wedding veil is made of. This works very well and your Momo's hide place, bottle cap water dish..... You're doing the best that you can."

Let me know if you want the rest of the post. It's covers the topic of considerations to avoiding stressful setup and environmental challenges. There's a point or two that some of us with experience raising exotics may not always consider and might benefit from.

NottsM

What has worked well for me: I have used an enclosure for my Avics that is larger than I would normally choose, so the spider does look a bit lost. Plenty of space around the spider also means better ventilation and room for a larger than normal water dish. So - try choosing the next size up enclosure, providing the holes arent too big. I have never had a death using this method.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thats good to know , why are they so hard to raise ? Imagine what there survival rate is in the wild.
Not sure...maybe bad
Thats good to know , why are they so hard to raise ? Imagine what there survival rate is in the wild.
I'm not sure...bad genes? Bad breeding stock? Breeding sac mates...ect. Not sure what the problem has been. Ive raised 1000s of all types of slings with no problems.