• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia sp. "Peru Purple sling died after 2 days

Keymond69

Hi guys can any help me understand why my T died after 2 days? Substrate was not to moist , I offered her food but she didnt want it so I took it away , woke up the next day she was like this ?

What did I do wrong ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201025-205027_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-205027_Gallery.jpg
    482.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20201025-205034_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-205034_Gallery.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot_20201025-205022_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201025-205022_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 106
Damn so sorry for you loss :(! I have read from Tom Moran and multiple others that the Avicularia genus is especially fragile in the sling stage. Requires better ventilation than many other genus. Again so sorry, I never like to see dead Tarantulas even in the wild.

I might not make you feel any better this time, but you did the right thing by asking.
Like you, I try to learn from losses if possible. If there's a mistake, it helps us know how to correct it and achieve success in the future. Its an expensive lesson for sure, but college and many things we find worth learning can be expensive, hard work and tough times. May your next one bring you joy for many years.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Although what others have said is good advice, I really don't believe anything you may have done in 2 days would have caused its death. I'd say more like it was just one of those that wasn't meant to live.
Not a great experience for you but don't give up, get another T soon.

shaun

3 Year Member
I'm no expert but i think that avic slings need moist substrate and a good sized water dish, to avoid desication but also lots of ventilation. I have lost a couple, and i guess it's unfortunate that i learnt the hard way. Also, some t's just don't make it (like any animal)
Try again, and good luck.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Enn49 is correct. Sometimes you can do everything right and the sling will still die. Most keepers I have spoken to have experienced this gut wrenching experience at least once. I am yet to experience it and I hope I never do. Nature is cruel though and only the strong survive.
with larger collections you’ll find it comes in waves. We’ll be fine for a while then like the other day we just find 4 dead. :(

Jeremy-psychonaut

I’m still new to all this so I don’t know if it’s my place to give any advice but I’ve read a lot about sudden avicularia death syndrome
It’s when a seemingly perfect healthy sling dies suddenly.
If you get a new one just make sure it’s enclosure has good ventilation and the substrate isn’t super wet
Sorry for your loss

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’m still new to all this so I don’t know if it’s my place to give any advice but I’ve read a lot about sudden avicularia death syndrome
It’s when a seemingly perfect healthy sling dies suddenly.
If you get a new one just make sure it’s enclosure has good ventilation and the substrate isn’t super wet
Sorry for your loss
SADS (sudden avicualria death syndrome) was put down to poor cross ventilation and stuffy enclosures. If in the U.K. Best setup is to keep them dry with a waterdish and don't spray. In the US they spray but do have a drier climate.

Seekeroftruth

If the substrate is dry and you only misted as is shown in the picture, it's possible it could be dehydration. This is because misting dries up quickly. I can't tell by the photo is its abdomen looks shriveled. That would be a sign of this. Since you don't have much ventilation, maybe the water droplets would have lasted longer for you than it does me. I dont see cross ventalation on the sides. Do you have any ventalation on the top? If it has no ventalation it can run out of air. I don't know how long this takes though. I know some people keep their T's enclosed in trash bags while spraying for bugs in their home for a short time due to their low need for oxygen. It seems like it could be a weakling though, as I've had mine in less than ideal conditions and had no deaths. I think healthy slings should be able to go a couple days without food or oxygen and still survive. I could be wrong though, im still a beginner myself.

Jeremy-psychonaut

SADS (sudden avicualria death syndrome) was put down to poor cross ventilation and stuffy enclosures. If in the U.K. Best setup is to keep them dry with a waterdish and don't spray. In the US they spray but do have a drier climate.
From what I’ve read, that’s why it happens.
I was trying to suggest better husbandry with out coming off as rude maybe I went about it wrong
I don’t mist any of mine, I provide a water dish and Ive had no issues

Keymond69

If the substrate is dry and you only misted as is shown in the picture, it's possible it could be dehydration. This is because misting dries up quickly. I can't tell by the photo is its abdomen looks shriveled. That would be a sign of this. Since you don't have much ventilation, maybe the water droplets would have lasted longer for you than it does me. I dont see cross ventalation on the sides. Do you have any ventalation on the top? If it has no ventalation it can run out of air. I don't know how long this takes though. I know some people keep their T's enclosed in trash bags while spraying for bugs in their home for a short time due to their low need for oxygen. It seems like it could be a weakling though, as I've had mine in less than ideal conditions and had no deaths. I think healthy slings should be able to go a couple days without food or oxygen and still survive. I could be wrong though, im still a beginner myself.

It had this both sides , surly after 2 days though ? I'm gutted

Attachments

• 16036838899542541154593932566196.jpg
    16036838899542541154593932566196.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 32

Keymond69

Although what others have said is good advice, I really don't believe anything you may have done in 2 days would have caused its death. I'd say more like it was just one of those that wasn't meant to live.
Not a great experience for you but don't give up, get another T soon.

Had this both sides is this not enough

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20201026-034853_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8

Keymond69