• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why does my tarantula wriggle her butt up and down?

batsy

So ever since I got my grammastola pulchra as a 1/4 inch sling, she's raises her abdomen high up and down and up and down every time she walks. She's an inch large now and still does it. It kinda looks like she's dancing whenever she walks. She doesn't do it all the time, only when she walks and it makes her look goofy. I haven't noticed any signs of stress and she doesn't seem to mind being held. She doesn't make any threat postures either, she's pretty chill. I added some pictures. Why does she do this?

Attachments

• IMG_20191202_182535.jpg
    IMG_20191202_182535.jpg
    632.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20191202_182530.jpg
    IMG_20191202_182530.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20191202_182451.jpg
    IMG_20191202_182451.jpg
    980.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

batsy

Does your T only do this when being handled? It's best left alone and not handled to be honest Ts don't enjoy it at all and I for one wouldn't encourage it
No, she does it all the time when she walks. Even in her cage, her abdomen just goes up and down and up and down like it's bobbing

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, she does it all the time when she walks. Even in her cage, her abdomen just goes up and down and up and down like it's bobbing
Does she have a hide and some plants coverage to hide in her enclosure? She may be doing it as she feels exposed perhaps? :)

batsy

Does she have a hide and some plants coverage to hide in her enclosure? She may be doing it as she feels exposed perhaps? :)
I have a hide in her cage and a shallow water cap for water but besides that I don't think anymore coverage can fit in there. Her enclosure is about 3x2x1 1/2. But I'm not sure that it's a threat posture. Whenever she's not walking, her abdomen is down. It always and only bobs whenever she's walking. She's never given me an actual threat posture or made it known she was annoyed. Maybe it looks like a threat posture in the pictures bc of the timing but she was really just walking

batsy

It's not really a pose though. Her abdomen bobs up and down repeatedly as she walks but when she's not walking it's down. Always and only while she walks. Maybe it looks like a threat posture in the pictures bc of the timing but she was really just walking

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah but she does it in her own cage too. If I do handle her, she doesn't raise it until she starts moving. And then when she's done moving it goes back down
Yep...so does mine. Some spiders stress more then others. Just like some people. Once it gets larger it will have more confidence and it will be a thing of the past.

batsy

Yep...so does mine. Some spiders stress more then others. Just like some people. Once it gets larger it will have more confidence and it will be a thing of the past.
Oh alright. I was just worried about her health and stuff bc my last tarantula didn't do it but I guess she did have urticating hairs

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Definitely a threat/stress posture. I have a few slings that do that. My C. Elegans sticks her abdomen up when disturbed. They are trying to make themselves look bigger to ward off predators. My G. Porteri sling and Rosea(RCF) sling bob their abdomens up and down while walking. They have quite the attitude, especially the Rosea. The Porteri isn’t as bad since she’s gained a lil size.

SkittleBunny

3 Year Member
I know when my slings run up the tongs and touch flesh their bums go way up, I think my body temp might have something to do with that. Most spiders will web everywhere they walk, and do this pose also. Its also a warning they'll give when they feel they might be in danger.

Latest posts