• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Who's molted today

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Urgh, I'm really kicking myself right now for my own stupidity. Doing my nightly rounds and noticed my auratum sling had freshly moulted (yet another moult I just missed happening, grrr)

IMG_20191110_212624.jpg

The water bowl was pretty empty looking and I was worried the sling would need to drink (I should have realised it had already had a good drink hence the empty bowl, as I filled it yesterday, but I wasn't sure if the bowl had just leaked) I thought I had to risk refilling now and tried to be as careful as possible. What an idiot! The minute I cranked open the lid, it shot straight up the side and now I've got this dodgy situation.

IMG_20191110_213054~2.jpg

Kicking myself for not waiting until it had moved away from the water dish. I've turned off the light and noones going in the room for a couple hours until it comes down. If anyone is concerned it might have legs trapped under the lid, it hasn't. That would have been my concern too, but I made sure that didn't happen. Let's just pray it gets down safely because I feel really bad about this. I should have realised it would have hyper sensitive senses after moulting. I think I just got accustomed to dealing with it in it's sluggish premoult condition.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Urgh, I'm really kicking myself right now for my own stupidity. Doing my nightly rounds and noticed my auratum sling had freshly moulted (yet another moult I just missed happening, grrr)

View attachment 41929

The water bowl was pretty empty looking and I was worried the sling would need to drink (I should have realised it had already had a good drink hence the empty bowl, as I filled it yesterday, but I wasn't sure if the bowl had just leaked) I thought I had to risk refilling now and tried to be as careful as possible. What an idiot! The minute I cranked open the lid, it shot straight up the side and now I've got this dodgy situation.

View attachment 41930

Kicking myself for not waiting until it had moved away from the water dish. I've turned off the light and noones going in the room for a couple hours until it comes down. If anyone is concerned it might have legs trapped under the lid, it hasn't. That would have been my concern too, but I made sure that didn't happen. Let's just pray it gets down safely because I feel really bad about this. I should have realised it would have hyper sensitive senses after moulting. I think I just got accustomed to dealing with it in it's sluggish premoult condition.
Burn a hole above the water dish so you can refill it with a syringe and never have to open the enclosure. ;)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Burn a hole above the water dish so you can refill it with a syringe and never have to open the enclosure. ;)

I do that with the bigger ones because they've got bigger airholes. Using a pipette, same sort of size as a syringe. The slings' enclosures were a bit more tricky due to the little airholes. Where I've tried before, any water I managed to trickle in went the wrong way and most immediately pooled up my side of the enclosure. After your suggestion I thought why not try again. I had a rethink using other slings enclosures and have now discovered that if I place the pipette end as flush as possible on the airhole above and give a good hard squeeze, it works!
Oh, and the auratum made it back down ok, phew. It's got more water now so all I can say is lesson learned! Actually, I need to renew at least 2 waterdishes, which empty over a day, so must have a little pinhole type leak somewhere.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do that with the bigger ones because they've got bigger airholes. Using a pipette, same sort of size as a syringe. The slings' enclosures were a bit more tricky due to the little airholes. Where I've tried before, any water I managed to trickle in went the wrong way and most immediately pooled up my side of the enclosure. After your suggestion I thought why not try again. I had a rethink using other slings enclosures and have now discovered that if I place the pipette end as flush as possible on the airhole above and give a good hard squeeze, it works!
Oh, and the auratum made it back down ok, phew. It's got more water now so all I can say is lesson learned! Actually, I need to renew at least 2 waterdishes, which empty over a day, so must have a little pinhole type leak somewhere.
Use a diabetes syringe....I've used them for years with tiny fast slings. You'll need to use a sewing needle to melt your hole.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
It doesn’t have a pinhole. The slightest little thread of webbing or substrate will siphon all the water out of the dish. You need to physically wash it.

Totally agree, but in this case the plastic had degraded and there was a leak.

Use a diabetes syringe....I've used them for years with tiny fast slings. You'll need to use a sewing needle to melt your hole.

Nice fix, but those are probably easier to acquire in the US. I'm assuming you mean the little syringes with the needle attached? In the UK, you can't buy anything like that over the counter. Doctors prescription only. Well, unless you register with a needle exchange, and as much as I love my tarantulas, there is a limit... haha

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally agree, but in this case the plastic had degraded and there was a leak.

Nice fix, but those are probably easier to acquire in the US. I'm assuming you mean the little syringes with the needle attached? In the UK, you can't buy anything like that over the counter. Doctors prescription only. Well, unless you register with a needle exchange, and as much as I love my tarantulas, there is a limit... haha
@Jess S you can buy those diabetes syringe with needles on... But try online such as vetuk or similar veterinary supply websites as they are sold for use with dogs and cats but they are the very same as human use ones... I buy them myself as I work with small animals hope this helps :)

Latest posts