• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which curly hair tarantula is she?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for the information, I can definitely tell them apart from the photos you posted and mine looks just like the one one the left.
the one on the left for any avoidance of doubt is the nicuraguan form :)

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
ha ha....pretty much. Although technically 2 different species (smithi and hamorii) where as scientifically speaking just the one albopolisum. Dont even get me started on morphs of avicularia as likely my head will explode! :eek:
You read my mind, I was going there next!!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Have to share my side by side too...;)
20190519_161606.jpg
Btw...I dislike the "hobby form" thing too. I actually see more Nicaraguan species then Honduran anymore.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have to share my side by side too...;)View attachment 39074Btw...I dislike the "hobby form" thing too. I actually see more Nicaraguan species then Honduran anymore.
LoL...that's very true! the nicuraguan is now the one that everyone seems to prefer in the "hobby" so are much more offered/available

Nicuraguan or Honduran are the correct terms :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The terms "true" and "hobby" are just part of the common names often attributed to distinguish between the Nicuraguan and Honduran forms respectively.

Honduran were for a long time the more common in the hobby hence "hobby" form.

I have attached a collage of AF for both Nicaraguan and Honduran for comparison.

As you can see, they are very different in appearance the nicuraguan have much more lighter hairs and a black skin underneath. the Honduran have less hairs, snd tend to have a more copper like colour to carapace.

It is inevitable at some stage that the 2 may have been "hybridised" in the hobby. If hybridisation of a species with the same scientific names is actually thing as they are both classified as Brachypelma albopilosum
View attachment 39070

@MissKitty

You'll have to scroll up to see the pictures but side by side comparison makes it very clear on the differences

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Regardless of what variant it is, it's still awesome.

Color forms in make other species are way more dramatic.

Scientific names aren't as stable as most people think. That's why it's best to know both common and scientific names.

Eviecoco

hi, does anyone know why mine is? I’ve been told Nicaragua but just wanted to confirm. I get her next Friday ☺️

Attachments

• 08706E02-4BC6-4A31-AE1F-740463F12117.jpeg
    08706E02-4BC6-4A31-AE1F-740463F12117.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts