• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which curly hair tarantula is she?

Lisasravenwolf

3 Year Member
20190627_092342.jpg
is she considered the Honduran form or the Nicaraguan form?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
initially I thought Nicaraguan but it Looks Honduran to me:) the B.Albopilosum comes in a 'hobby' form which is known as the Honduran these appear to be less curly:)the 'True' curly haired Nicaraguan has more tight curls to the hair than I see here these hairs look more fluffy and straight:)

Last edited:

Lisasravenwolf

3 Year Member
initially I thought Nicaraguan but it Looks Honduran to me:) the B.Albopilosum comes in a 'hobby' form which is known as the Honduran these appear to be less curly:)the 'True' curly haired Nicaraguan has more tight curls to the hair than I see here these hairs look more fluffy and straight:)
Thank you,I love that she is so fluffy,here's another pic of her I just took. The first pic is when she was freshly molted.
20190709_080235.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The terms "true" and "hobby" are just part of the common names often attributed to distinguish between the Nicuraguan and Honduran forms respectively.

Honduran were for a long time the more common in the hobby hence "hobby" form.

I have attached a collage of AF for both Nicaraguan and Honduran for comparison.

As you can see, they are very different in appearance the nicuraguan have much more lighter hairs and a black skin underneath. the Honduran have less hairs, snd tend to have a more copper like colour to carapace.

It is inevitable at some stage that the 2 may have been "hybridised" in the hobby. If hybridisation of a species with the same scientific names is actually thing as they are both classified as Brachypelma albopilosum
20190709_200622.jpg

Lisasravenwolf

3 Year Member
The terms "true" and "hobby" are just part of the common names often attributed to distinguish between the Nicuraguan and Honduran forms respectively.

I have attached a collage of AF for both Nicaraguan and Honduran for comparison.

As you can see, they are very different in appearance the nicuraguan have much more lighter hairs and a black skin underneath. the Honduran have less hairs, snd tend to have a more copper like colour to carapace.

It is inevitable at some stage that the 2 may have been "hybridised" in the hobby. If hybridisation of a species with the same scientific names is actually thing as they are both classified as Brachypelma albopilosum
View attachment 39070
Thank you so much for the information, I can definitely tell them apart from the photos you posted and mine looks just like the one one the left.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

View attachment 39070
Thanks for that @Phil every day is a school day with the Ts:D