• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Use of live, clean, floral spanish moss? Do or don't?

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I received my premium floral Spanish Moss today, I got online. Just really a fantastic product. Clean but natural. I needed a bit of a cushion on the bottom for the A. Avic in case she rolls out molting and it is just a cozy soft spot for her to flop out and dry out. My G. Rosea sling is just enjoying it tremendously, she has dug several little burrows in her cup but the cup was just too tall for her without some light filler in which to crawl or molt on. So the substrate really is great. I know keeping Spanish Moss alive is nearly impossible indoors so I am not going to work at keeping it living, but it is nice while it is green and fuzzy. So how many people are against using clean premium chemical free Spanish Moss? Please also do say why it is you will not or do not use it. If you do use it could you let me know how it works for you. Thanks.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I've used live Spanish moss for dart frogs. As you say, it isn't easy to keep alive. Just make sure it doesn't mold when/as it dies (mine generally did.) Assuming you intend to keep it in there after it dies, I would suggest deliberately drying it out if you notice mold beginning to form. The only other potential problem I can foresee would be the spiders getting tangled in it. I doubt that will happen, but just be vigilant.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I've used live Spanish moss for dart frogs. As you say, it isn't easy to keep alive. Just make sure it doesn't mold when/as it dies (mine generally did.) Assuming you intend to keep it in there after it dies, I would suggest deliberately drying it out if you notice mold beginning to form. The only other potential problem I can foresee would be the spiders getting tangled in it. I doubt that will happen, but just be vigilant.

Thanks Thistles. I appreciate your answers. I wondered about the G. Rosea possibly getting tangled but she appears to make her way through it fantastically. I have been checking on her and so far she has traveled through it top to bottom resting in the middle.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never dealt with spanish moss, ever. I'd be curious to see how they take to it and how it does in a terrarium environment.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
It does hold the humidity real well. I don't think misting will be required as often in some circumstances, but I don't know. So far it is working nicely. The spiders seem to enjoy it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think it'd be akin to spagnum moss in that respect. I'm curious about the mold Thistles mentioned as it dies.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
yeah I am too, I hope it doesn't mold. It had been cleaned prior to packaging. I am sensitive to molds so, at first sight of it, it gets the soap and water treatment followed by the microwave to semi sterilize, or sterilize as well as a microwave can. So far it is still alive.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Spanish moss is actually a tillandsia and not a moss. It hangs rather than growing on the ground. I had a number of vivaria housing dart frogs and was only able to establish the Spanish moss in one tank. It seemed to need bright light, humidity and good air flow. Stagnant air, even if humid, was no good. That's just my experience. As it died it turned blackish and grew a fluffy white mold. I know it is often sold already dry, but I don't think that would serve the purpose DewDrop has in mind.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have not tried Spanish Moss in any of my enclosures so will defer to the rest of the forum for input. I have tried and still use several other moss species in the tanks. Generally speaking, any live plant or moss will increase your maintenance so be prepared. Remove any dead material as soon as possible to avoid mold and other pests. But I do enjoy some of the color and more natural look of the enclosures when decorated with moss and plants so I feel it is worth it. Especially for my old worlds which rarely leave the burrow so there is always something pleasing to look at when viewing.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you guys encountered "air plants"? These are raised without soil and it does not need to be watered either. They look like these:

upload_2015-12-17_2-13-28.png

These can be used in all kinds of setup.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have you guys encountered "air plants"? These are raised without soil and it does not need to be watered either. They look like these:View attachment 12677

These can be used in all kinds of setup.
Love them and have considered them, they do need to be misted though and I was worried about to much humidity if I used them, they have some set in geodes that I wanted to use, gorgeous!
saw them on etsy
https://www.etsy.com/listing/204637602/live-air-plant-tillandsia-turquoise?ref=listing-shop-header-3

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I remember my grandma had air plants when I was a kid. One in a magnet dish thing on the fridge. I'd hate going to the fridge for a snack because of that plant. It gave off a foul odor.

Maybe it's just that species she had, but I'd keep one outside of the enclosure first just in case.

Latest posts