• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Two tarantulas, what's your guess?

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Males or females? Sorry about quality.
IMG_20161006_152252.jpg
IMG_20161006_152612.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Advice given to me recently was.....
"Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs.
Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together"
Based on this principle, Male on top and female on the bottom (so missionary style. ....lol)

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
Advice given to me recently was.....
"Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs.
Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together"
Based on this principle, Male on top and female on the bottom (so missionary style. ....lol)
Lol. I'll be happy if at least one of my juveniles turn out to be female!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Lol. I'll be happy if at least one of my juveniles turn out to be female!

Your GBB is DEFINITELY female. Difficult to say about the top specimen. In younger/smaller T's, a dot in the middle of the exuvium doesn't always indicate male. Sometimes, it's the beginning of the opening of the uterus externus (females "lips"). Hope this helps!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Casey K: is that last pic an opening or a light reflex. I think I see a lightly pigmented epiandrous fusillae and a vertical arthordial membrane. How am I seeing this wrong. Thanks in advance!!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Casey K: is that last pic an opening or a light reflex. I think I see a lightly pigmented epiandrous fusillae and a vertical arthordial membrane. How am I seeing this wrong. Thanks in advance!!

That appears to be an opening.....perhaps mother picture without the flash would help. I see the dark coloration above the exuvium but it doesn't appear to be a triangular shape just yet if it is indeed e.f.

Latest posts