• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

TokeHound

Hello! I have Arachnophobia really bad and I came into this Forum for more research. I have awesome news, I bought my first Tarantula today! It's a Brachypelma hamorii, Mexican Red Knee, and I am so excited! It is a sling, which I don't think is recommended to beginner Tarantula keepers (aka, me) but I will try my best to keep it happy and healthy! The shop employee attempted to feed it for me, but it didn't eat, so I'm hoping that's a sign of pre-molt! I'm very excited about this T, and I am hoping it's a female! I already have a female name picked out, Penelope. What do you think? I wanted a cutesy name because of my Arachnophobia. I don't want to name it something where I'm going to be afraid of it, like Satan or something, Lol. But I have no idea what a good "cutesy" male name would be. I was thinking Monty because I have always liked that name. (Sorry if you think my names are dumb.) But if anyone would like to suggest some good "friendly" names, I would love to read them! Anyway, here is a couple pictures of my new sling! Thank you for reading

Attachments

• PXL_20210629_184452260.jpg
    PXL_20210629_184452260.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20210629_184458636.jpg
    PXL_20210629_184458636.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 21

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello, welcome to the forum & the hobby. And congratulations on a great T, the hamorii's are lovely T's.

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome to the Forum and hobby! I think slings are an amazing way to start out because they are tiny cute little things and it creates a less daunting experience during first time events. I'm very exited for your journey. :) No questions are dumb questions and research like crazy cause there is always something new to learn!

prince charmless

Congrats on your first sling. B. Hamorii is a very long lived species. You will enjoy watching it grow. I wonder how many Ts you will have in about a year? I have been into them for about a year, and I am up to about 2 dozen. They are fascinating, and MUCH easier to care for than aquariums. When dealing with new world species, re-housing and such, be mindful of urticating hairs. VERY itchy, kind of reminds me of poison ivy. That said, this can be a rather addictive hobby, the research can be as much fun as the actual husbandry. Wait 'til you get your first OBT (LOL). I have gotten to where I do all rehousings in my bathtub with the shower doors closed. That way, if they bolt, they are easy to relocate and recapture. Have fun.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to our nice place. A forum you will enjoy! You have a great start into your new hobby! Perfect! :)

TokeHound

Congrats on your first sling. B. Hamorii is a very long lived species. You will enjoy watching it grow. I wonder how many Ts you will have in about a year? I have been into them for about a year, and I am up to about 2 dozen. They are fascinating, and MUCH easier to care for than aquariums. When dealing with new world species, re-housing and such, be mindful of urticating hairs. VERY itchy, kind of reminds me of poison ivy. That said, this can be a rather addictive hobby, the research can be as much fun as the actual husbandry. Wait 'til you get your first OBT (LOL). I have gotten to where I do all rehousings in my bathtub with the shower doors closed. That way, if they bolt, they are easy to relocate and recapture. Have fun.
I can see how this hobby is addicting. I already am interested in getting a Aphonopelma chalcodes, AZ Blonde, and I have debated on whether I wanted an Old World just yet. They seem like "fun" to feed but I don't think I am brave enough for that yet! I like the Haplopelma Minax, Thailand Black (Sorry if I got this name wrong, still learning) because they look like jet black velvet! But we will see... Lol...

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A cutsy name like Penelope, huh? Not like the devil or something huh? I don't mean to burst your bubble, but with s bit of research, you might find the name "Penelope" to be a bit less fair and maiden than you realize.:cool:
Either way, welcome aboard!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum and hobby.

in my opinion, sling care is over exaggerated. I started with a sling and I’d like to think I did something right, because she is a subadult now. I’m sure others have also started with slings with success.

TokeHound

Man, y'all weren't kidding that this hobby is addicting! I got my first T, Brachypelma hamorii, and a week later, I got two more! I got an Avicularia avicularia sling, and I got a free Hapalopus sp. Colombia sling from a gentleman who won a bunch of slings in a raffle. I'm kind of ready to pick out my 4th!

prince charmless

Man, y'all weren't kidding that this hobby is addicting! I got my first T, Brachypelma hamorii, and a week later, I got two more! I got an Avicularia avicularia sling, and I got a free Hapalopus sp. Colombia sling from a gentleman who won a bunch of slings in a raffle. I'm kind of ready to pick out my 4th!
(Quietly chuckling) My first was an A. Seemanni, now I'm up to about a couple dozen critters if you include the scorpions

TokeHound

A cutsy name like Penelope, huh? Not like the devil or something huh? I don't mean to burst your bubble, but with s bit of research, you might find the name "Penelope" to be a bit less fair and maiden than you realize.:cool:
Either way, welcome aboard!
Your comment has been bugging me since you first posted and I finally decided to research the name Penelope. Lol...

So, what I found was that in Greek mythology, Penelope was the faithful wife of Odysseus. The name means "weaver", which seems appropriate, no? Tarantulas "weave" a web? Lol xD

I was wondering what meaning you came up with? BTW, friendly argument! ;)

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I owe you an apology. I was wrong. I looked it up too. You are correct. I think I got confused with Persephone. I am sorry. Penelope seems like a great name for a weaver. Thanks for setting me straight.:T: :beer: :T:

Latest posts