• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Slings (spiderling)

DewDrop

3 Year Member
If it wasn't for the sheer curiosity and awe tarantulas bring, they might not be such a joy to raise. I waited about a year before I got the G. Rosea. It is a huge commitment of about twenty years or more having the spider. I couldn't decide for the first few months if I wanted a sling or if I wanted a larger tarantula that was less of a risk. The Rosea was the first choice because of the life span and the A. Avic. was the second choice because it seemed to be more difficult to keep. It turned out that I went to a pet store and saw the A. Avic in a kritter keeper on a dried out paper towel and right then I decided, that I knew enough about the spider to go ahead and buy and save it from a slow stupor and possible death due to being in a pet store only on a paper towel. So the second choice became the new pet. My first arboreal. The A. Avic immediately grew on me, I was instantly attached once I got her home and into her new habitat. Thankfully I had planned to buy a tarantula before hand and didn't just buy it not knowing it's demands. It took me months after she had settled in as the new family member to even hold her, I would pet her gently with a make up brush and that was enough interaction for me. Yet, not for her, one day she decided to dart onto my hand and started crawling as I tried to coax her into the critter keeper so I could get the substrate cleaned up, she had been half eating earthworms. I was startled and I jumped. She has never bitten me. She lost her footing and landed on the table, on all eights, then to the soft carpeted floor in a bounce. It was only a few feet, but I gasped. My dear friend the pink toe tarantula had just done a nose dive and I was concerned that, she would be injured. Thankfully she wasn't. I coaxed her into her keeper from the floor and then allowed her to crawl a little on me. It took a few more times moving her before I lost all apprehension about the spider. Then, I finally decided a year later, I wanted and could afford a G. Rosea sling. After waiting a year on a decision like that I was surprised at the joy a spiderling can bring once she arrived and got settled in, she became the final new member of the family. There was a lot of anticipation around here for her arrival. So, now we are waiting to see when she molts, how often she eats and trying to get an idea of what to expect. It is a G. Rosea, however, so, we don't really expect a schedule with her. SHe will walk to my hand when she sees it on the outside of her cup, seems friendly to me. The warning she gave the cricket today was astonishing. She darted out of her burrow at an (exaggerated of course) mach speed, threw her spider feet into the air and bared her baby fangs at the bug, warning it, so it hopped at the spiderling and the sling responded again with a threat pose and promptly I removed the cricket. She is too young to handle, but apparently she is fond, as a spider can be I assume, because no threat pose has been displayed at me. Even if she does, it's just spider talk translated as maybe later with her. I have never seen my A. Avic ever give a threat pose, ever. If there was a bug that ever tried to cuddle, that a. avic. would be the one. I just won't handle them unless I have to. Tarantulas are the easiest pets to clean up after, I think, so I rarely have to clean up after them, unless there is spider food that has to come out or glass that has to be wiped off. So easy it's brilliant. How long did you wait before you got a new spider for your collection and do you have a story to share? Thanks.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Have to admit I adore my A.avic, shes a pet store rescue too, shes calm nosy and gentile,
although she did kick hairs at a dubia, won't go near one,
she's a cricket worm kind of girl.
I love how they move, like they have less gravity than the rest of us and are half floating around ^^
I was extremely apprehensive about the slings, but now, I enjoy them so much.
Most of mine are visible most of the time and so busy!
I had a G.rosea sling but somehow she disappeared Thanksgiving day.
Mysteriously her enclosure opened itself, then her water bowl teleported itself to my desk, still full of water...
and then she simply vanished.
Assuming the ghosts or goblins got her as no one here admits to knowing a thing about it,
Needless to say my door is kept locked now.​

Thistles

3 Year Member
I did a fair amount of research before I purchased my first tarantulas so I looked at the species that were available at the time and researched their requirements and characteristics. I wanted to get very different, attractive, and docile species (I planned to handle) and intended to stop at just two. My first two were a Grammostola pulchra and an Avicularia versicolor purchased at an expo. They were both slings around 1" in size and I was completely happy with my complete collection.

Yeah, that lasted like two weeks.

An acquaintance of mine learned I had gotten tarantulas and told me that he had some avic slings for sale so I bought two of them. So much for only ever having two... They were supposed to be Avicularia avicularia but there was a mix up and one ended up being an A. metallica. All of my first avics were males and have long since gone on to the big web in the sky. I still have that Grammostola pulchra though, and she's gorgeous. Not exactly "docile," though.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You bring up a great point about the commitment, something that isn't mentioned all that often. I bought my first tarantula, a young adult G. porteri, when my wife and I first moved out together about 20 years ago. At the time, I was highly arachnophobic, yet totally fascinated with tarantulas and spiders. I soon followed up with an A. seemanni that ended up being a mature male. The seemanni passed eventually, but the G. porteri kept going strong, following us through two apartments and two homes over the years. She survived several dogs and was there through a lot of major events in our lives. After keeping her for several years, my wife and I actually got into a conversation about how truly sad we would both be when this animal eventually passed. It was at that point I decided to get online and see what was going on in the hobby and what species were available in the event that I wanted to get a couple more. I was blown away by what was now available in the hobby, and spent months researching various species, anatomy, husbandry, and the like. When I finally acquired my first slings, a C. cyaneopubescens and an A. versicolor, I turned to my wife and said, "You know, this could turn out to be an addictive hobby."

Yup.

I now how dozens of species, many of them the slow-growing ones like Aphonopelma, Brachypelma, and Grammostola that will hopefully be around a very long time. I keep joking that I might have to leave some of these guys in my will, as the rate these slings are growing (I'm looking at you, B. auratum), they may outlive me. :) Oh, and my old G. porteri just molted a few months back and is still going strong. Hopefully, she'll be around for many more years.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With any pet, i prefer to raise the young, after purchasing a 5 yr old dog that was supposed to be so calm and gentle and great with kids etc. I didn't have any kids at the time so i figured he'd be great and brought the beast home. Next day after work it had trashed my house and the neighbors came over and said it barked and howled the whole time i was gone. Being raised with dogs and around them my whole life i did what i could to keep him happy while i was at work, tv left on for noise, toys in every room, etc. That lasted to the end of the week when the animal control officer came by after work because of all the complaints. To be honest i was relieved that i had to surrender the dog as there was no way i could afford to pay the fines. Ever since then I've only purchased puppies so i could raise them the way i think they should be.

Same with my T's. Not that they'd be a nuisance, i just want to raise them and watch them grow :) It's what i enjoy.

Research yes, months of research helping my son with his GBB (and he did months of research before buying it), then more research to decide which one i wanted to get as my first sling. I was a little intimidated that Redrum was only 1/4" when he arrived. But he's doing great, as far as i can tell anyway. Hasn't come from his burrow in a week or so, but all the pinhead roaches that venture down there never return :)

DewDrop

3 Year Member
really great stories ya'll. Thanks for contributing with your experiences. Still no tarantula losses here. I had a zebra tarantula when I was in my early twenties that was gifted to me by an employer. At the time I had a family member who was really comforted by the spider and at that time it was just a nice thing to do and reason to visit allowing them to keep my spider. However one day, as I was cleaning the cage, as ask, the zebra tarantula escaped and in moments was gone, no where to be seen. I happened to be outside at that time, as ask. That family member swore that it had taken up under an old tree and webbed it's home there to live. However, the odds are that it escaped into a grassy area and most likely died that winter. No one knows. They do burrow after all and it is possible she made it for a little while but it got hotter than 90f and colder than 60f many times since then. So loosing a spider was a bit sad, but at most it was comforting then to think she at least she got a little freedom before nature claimed her. They are very quick. As sweet as she was though, I couldn't replace her with another zebra tarantula. I didn't know that tarantulas molted, then, and the first time she molted I got a call telling me she was dead and went to go check and she was under her hide jovial and curious as always. I saw the molt at first and frantically searched for anything in the cage that could of done that to her. So I was pleasantly surprised to see her. She is however gone now. Loss is never nice, especially due to ignorance.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
the waiting for shipping is the worst! almost as bad as waiting for molting lol Congrats!!

I am waiting on both mine to do just that. I tried temping my G. Rosea with a cricket this afternoon and will check back in a few hours on her to see if she was hungry. The cricket is without hind legs so it won't hop at her, but I worry it might try to bite. It's almost been a week since the last feeding, so she might not be hungry yet or it could be pre molt.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rosea are stressful eaters. To us anyway lol they'll go on month long fasts. Luckily my tiny little Rosea ate last night after we unboxed her.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good for you @kormath time to power feed so that they won't be tiny long. :)
trying :) she wouldn't eat last night, or at least not while i was watching. I left the pinhead decapitated on the cork bark so she could find it easily then fell asleep and forgot to check and see if she'd eaten it or remove it. Have to have my son do that when he gets home from school.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
trying :) she wouldn't eat last night, or at least not while i was watching. I left the pinhead decapitated on the cork bark so she could find it easily then fell asleep and forgot to check and see if she'd eaten it or remove it. Have to have my son do that when he gets home from school.
Don't forget to keep her on the warm side if your power feeding for growth :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't forget to keep her on the warm side if your power feeding for growth :p
It stays 77-80F in the spider area. I put a digital thermometer there just to get a visual idea. Hopefully that's warm enough. If not i'll drop back to every 2 or 3 days feeding.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Rosea are stressful eaters. To us anyway lol they'll go on month long fasts. Luckily my tiny little Rosea ate last night after we unboxed her.

I have mine warm too. I use a hermit crab uth (under the tank heater) It is safe for plastic. It doesn't get very warm but warm enough that the g. rosea loves it. I think she is going through premolt. She's kind of shiny and her abdomen is huge. Just the cutest little thing a spider can be. I haven't offered her anything today. She is burrowed on the side of her cup. The cup sits on top of the uth . I am really impressed with the heater, it can even heat a plastic cup and not melt it or get too hot. I'll give the g. rosea a week and then worry. If it gets too humid do they refuse food? She has a bottle cap off a soda bottle for a water dish she does go to. It has pebbles in it. The humidity is on the high side, I know they don't like high humidity, but I am thinking with premolt either in process or about to be, a little humidity isn''t going to hurt. I am just not even going to check on her for the next few days and see if she molts. I have read that these spiderlings like the humidity anywhere from 65-80 percent. If you know better and I know some of you do, comon tell me all about it. The peat moss is dry in the middle and on top but the humidity is high because of the water dish and there is some damp peat on the bottom. She has burrowed to nearly the bottom.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have mine warm too. I use a hermit crab uth (under the tank heater) It is safe for plastic. It doesn't get very warm but warm enough that the g. rosea loves it. I think she is going through premolt. She's kind of shiny and her abdomen is huge. Just the cutest little thing a spider can be. I haven't offered her anything today. She is burrowed on the side of her cup. The cup sits on top of the uth . I am really impressed with the heater, it can even heat a plastic cup and not melt it or get too hot. I'll give the g. rosea a week and then worry. If it gets too humid do they refuse food? She has a bottle cap off a soda bottle for a water dish she does go to. It has pebbles in it. The humidity is on the high side, I know they don't like high humidity, but I am thinking with premolt either in process or about to be, a little humidity isn''t going to hurt. I am just not even going to check on her for the next few days and see if she molts. I have read that these spiderlings like the humidity anywhere from 65-80 percent. If you know better and I know some of you do, comon tell me all about it. The peat moss is dry in the middle and on top but the humidity is high because of the water dish and there is some damp peat on the bottom. She has burrowed to nearly the bottom.
I keep mine at low humidity. Dry substrate and just a small water dish. I stole the Lego idea. She hasn't burrowed yet but had been shifting substrate on the side of the enclosure.

Latest posts