• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

shopping list for beginners tarantulas at my fisrt T show?

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, so I am a beginner, or should I say arachnophobe turned keeper, list of what I have already is below.
All my Ts are giving me so much pleasure, I really enjoy them so much, from total fear of spiders I now keep this list in my bedroom. I am just finishing their enclosures and will post an update finally and show you all their new houses.

So in a few weeks there is the first T show held in my area and the first time I will of visited such a venue and seen Ts for sale, I’m very excited,
I would like to treat myself to say another 2 or 3 ... or 4, 5,6,7, nooooo! I don’t want to get there and go too crazy and buy something that might be unsuitable because I don’t know their requirements or traits, so I’d like to go armed with a crib sheet, so any suggestions for tarantulas, I’m not after particularly huge species, price or availability not an issue, I don’t care if they are rare or common, cheap or expensive, preferably terrestrial or new world, pretty, nothing too fast, aggressive or skittish, having said that I won’t be handling them etc but I do enjoy seeing them out and about.

So...one the list already is
No 1 definitely euathlus red!
I like albiceps too.
So any thoughts what else I should keep a look out for?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Lasiodora species, parahybana, difficilis, klugi, fracta, striatipes.... They're all good. Be sure to provide a big hide. Even though these will be visible 90% of the time once the adult colors set in, they need a hide to prevent them from becoming defensive or panicking.

A geniculata or fellow travelers in that genus are awesome.

If you want to try a tarantula that is more moisture dependent, try a Pamphobetous machala or other of the more affordable ones.

None of these are really suited for handling. They're pretty, won't put you in the hospital if your get tagged and they're very pouncy, another words great feeding response. They think anything that moves is food, including you but aren't really aggressive or defensive spiders.

If you want to try an arboreal, I'd suggest C versicolor. They're drop dead gorgeous and not a mean spider. They will walk on you from time to time and the great leap of faith will occur so have a folded towel under the tarantula if you have to open the cage, especially when younger and blue in color.

Generally it's usually better to avoid OW species until you become comfortable with NW ones, but if you totally can't resist the temptation, no one would criticize you for doing H pulchripes or M balfouri.

These guys also aren't usually mean spiders. The difference with them that might give a beginner (& a few not so beginners) pause is the speed.

They are wicked fast, basically capable of teleporting. Once they get settled in the new enclosure, it's safe to feed them. If you DO get bitten, you will be in much more physical pain some might require painkillers or a night in the hospital.

For all of these, it's always best to start with a spiderling between an inch or maybe two inches long, not adults!! That way you can grow with the tarantula and not spend a ton on money up front.

This is doubly true with any OW!! (Plenty of great NW species out there)

L klugi Justina molt 12-28-17_2.jpg
P machala Persephone molted 5.jpg
C versicolor Charles molted 10-27-18 2.jpg
H pulchripes Hybris hiding 1.jpg
M balfouri Maxine out 1.jpg

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Euathlus sp red is going to be hard to find other than a sling. If your looking for slings I'd recommend C versicolor and gbb (I've come round with the gbb after getting my sling before anyone says anything) they look different as slings and would say grow with them and observe the change. If not E Campestratus are very pretty and mine is calm as anything. She isn't a great eater though to be honest.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Tabitha E. Sp. red is now H. chilensis, as for the topic of the thread, might I recommend the following:

B. albopilosum (Nicaragua)
B. emilia
E. campestratus
P. scrofa

I think these mat fit your criteria. If you want to attempt raising something a little more skittish, perhaps you may be interested in the following:

C. cyaneopeubescens

Nunua

3 Year Member
I started my tarantula hobby on this February and do have the following:
New world species
Acanthoscurria geniculata - My very first. Beautiful and easy to keep, but thinks that everything that moves is food.
Neoholothele incei gold - Adorable and easy to keep, but fast, skittish and loves hiding
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma auratum -
All these Brachypelma are so far extremely easy to keep. It's also awesome to see them developing adult colors
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma klaasi
Nhandu chromatus
- Easy to keep, but thinks that everything that moves is food. A bit skittish, may be defensive later.
Sericopelma (ex. Brachypelma) angustum - Skittish but very easy to keep
Caribena (ex. Avicularia) versicolor - Easy to keep as long as you remember efficient cross-ventilation. Curious individual.

Old world species
Poecilotheria vittata
Poecilotheria tigrinawesseli -
Both of these are relatively chill. No bad attitude so far, prefer running and hiding instead of taking the threat posture. P. vittata bolted on me when I unboxed it, but there was no problems. Just short sprints around my body (hand, arm, lap, side, thigh and back). Quick species nevertheless. Though, I do not recommend Poecilotheria spp. if you're still getting used to spiders. The species are fast and sometimes make even experienced keepers flinch (at least a bit).

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Tabitha E. Sp. red is now H. chilensis, as for the topic of the thread, might I recommend the following:

B. albopilosum (Nicaragua)
B. emilia
E. campestratus
P. scrofa

I think these mat fit your criteria. If you want to attempt raising something a little more skittish, perhaps you may be interested in the following:

C. cyaneopeubescens

I thought it was recently changed to hommeoma sp red? Or is it now hommeoma chilensis?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Either P striata or P vittata would make a great first pokie, but probably at least a possible second arboreal tarantula as opposed to one's very first.

Even if yours is calm enough as a sling to grow with the spider, (Mine was) they can potentially send you to the hospital. If a newbie was tempted to try handling....disaster!!

P striata was my second arboreal species.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought it was recently changed to hommeoma sp red? Or is it now hommeoma chilensis?
It was at first, but in the last few weeks that has changed, I'll try to find the link and post it in a separate thread I made recently.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you everyone that has been kind enough to leave their thoughts, it’s really helps

@Whitelightning777 Thank you so much for all that you wrote and all the info you gave out, some of the words used like ‘fast’ teleporting, painkillers, hospital ‘ make me think i’ll steer clear of OW for now! :eek: but thank you all the same, it’s good to have as many good points as bad so they are all relevant.
All of which is going into my notebook that I’m taking with me, it will really help. And the photos are stunning.
Thank you. And I will update with what I get from the show.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@KezyGLA
Thank you for your input,
@Rs50matt
Thank you very much for your suggestions.
@PanzoN88
Thanks, thanks also for telling me about the euathlus name change, ill Look out for that,
I have albopilosum, scares the life out of me, she’s very big but still very skittish and a big appetite, I have an Emilia too, she’s nice, small and skittish but a nice little spider. Thanks again for your suggestions.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Nunua thank you for the list too, I have an acanthuscurria and she’s so much fun, she’s my favourite, she’s got such an appetite and she’s such fun to watch her come out when she knows there’s something in the enclosure to eat then wait and stalk it, I just love her. I’d like a nhandu even though they look similar, thank you for the list and again I’ll be taking all of these tips and suggestions with me.
@Enn49 thank you, I agree, the brachypelma seem great, certainly hope I come away with a couple.
Choosing is going to be tough, tougher will be not just buying too many!
@Whitelightning777 ummmm i think I’m not quite ready for a pookie even if it’s a cute name but thanks anyway.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thank you to all, I really appreciate everyone’s time for writing and helping, the worst thing would be to go and get seduced by lots of amazing creatures at good prices and find I’m not knowledgeable enough or ready to deal with their traits, I’m not ever going to be handling but even so.
I look forward to reporting back with my purchase... or maybe purchases! We all know it’s perfectly possible to buy JUST one tarantula don’t we???
Just as a side note..
Here’s my beautiful girl Ofelia, she’s a such a little monster.
89006C77-CD5A-47CA-A7F1-4CAF8F284453.jpeg

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Was it you that said some slings might finally become available in the states (if breeding succeeds)?
Yes this is what i am working on. There arent/ havent been any CB slings in Europe either as far as I’m aware.

Latest posts