• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pterinopelma sazimai skin disease?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok so I'm new here and I hate forums in case I get my head bitten off but I'm in desperate need of some advice. My T has been off her/his food past week which I put down to premoult. Noticed some change to her abdomen and again it suggested she was due to moult. Today when I checked her it.looked like mould, I tried to wipe it off with a swab which immediately put her on the defensive and the pics show the results. What have I done? And what can I do? I don't mist her enclosure, she has a large water dish, a good 15cm of substrate, heated side/cold side,no mould in the enclosure. O really don't want anything to be causing distress or Pain, so please if anyone could help me I would be so grateful.
Someone made it mad....kicked off its urticating hairs.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So why is there that crusty stuff instead of a bald spot? Really curious as I haven't seen that as a result of kicking?
It has multiple types of urticating hairs...different layers with different painful results. I'm not sure how many this species has but two types for sure...maybe three?

E

ExMember

Thanks @Arachnoclown ! I stand corrected! Only thing I've seen like that was a t that got @#$%#@ up by a heat mat that scorched and mould. You learn something new every day. Please disregard any previous posts and I apologize to the op.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
journal.pone.0224384.t001.PNG

Last edited:

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Where's the crust?
Hi
if you zoom the pic enough you will see that is more fluff than crust.I had sth very similar from my A.genic while she was preparing her molting mat. You can see individual and clumps if hairs dettached and not shaken off.As @Arachnoclown said there are different layers of them.It is very likely the op made it worse while trying to wipe it with the swab. The skin looks good and healthy underneed so I dont see anything to worry about.
Moral of the story is that is not a good idea to wipe your spider's bum at least in that case.lol
All the best
Konstantin

Last edited:

Latest posts