• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pterinopelma sazimai skin disease?

NatalyCy20

Ok so I'm new here and I hate forums in case I get my head bitten off but I'm in desperate need of some advice. My T has been off her/his food past week which I put down to premoult. Noticed some change to her abdomen and again it suggested she was due to moult. Today when I checked her it.looked like mould, I tried to wipe it off with a swab which immediately put her on the defensive and the pics show the results. What have I done? And what can I do? I don't mist her enclosure, she has a large water dish, a good 15cm of substrate, heated side/cold side,no mould in the enclosure. O really don't want anything to be causing distress or Pain, so please if anyone could help me I would be so grateful.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200409-224017.png
    Screenshot_20200409-224017.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 27

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
It looks like she /he kicked some of her hairs.Thats normal and nothing to worry about.They don't do it only as a defence when irritated they do it near moult too or just cause they feel like it sometimes to line their habitat (burrow) with some ectra protection.
What do you mean by having cool side and hot side in the enclosure?Also rocks are not good idea in tarantulas enclosure.
Regards Konstantin

E

ExMember

Welcome to the forum! Never seen anything like that before. @Arachnoclown @Phil You guys seen anything like that. Looks almost like a burn? Not sure? Hope you guys can shed some light on this.

E

ExMember

Hi
It looks like she /he kicked some of her hairs.Thats normal and nothing to worry about.They don't do it only as a defence when irritated they do it near moult too or just cause they feel like it sometimes to line their habitat (burrow) with some ectra protection.
What do you mean by having cool side and hot side in the enclosure?
Regards Konstantin

I thought that initially but all that crusty stuff makes me think something else.

NatalyCy20

There's no heat source/lights in the tank, just a heatmat I've stuck to one side which is 5w or something. It was white/grey fluff before I wiped it and this is after. Thanks for the welcome! X

NatalyCy20

I have stuck a small heat mat on one side for her/him and the other side where the water dish is so she can move away as needed and the water doesn't evaporate. Hope that makes sense!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Owner did try to wipe it off so probably freed even more hairs that are not shaken off yet
If your room is arround 20 °C you dont need the mat.Its good that is on the side tho but I rather not have one if I can help it.
Regards Konstantin

E

ExMember

Where is the mat positioned? On the bottom? Side wall etc? Hooked up to a thermostat? Sorry for all the questions lol!

NatalyCy20

No ask as many as you want, I appreciate the help! It's stuck to one side of the enclosure, no thermostat just on a timer to come on during the day.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No ask as many as you want, I appreciate the help! It's stuck to one side of the enclosure, no thermostat just on a timer to come on during the day.
youll be fine without a heat mat at all as your in uk but if you do feel like u need one then on the side is much better than the bottom

NatalyCy20

The room gets really cold, tiled floor and glass wall so heat escapes all day. I think with the central heating on it probably gets to around 20ish maybe a bit higher during the day? I can take it off it you think that would be better? X

E

ExMember

Looks like a mold infection to me

This is a t with a mold infection on the booklungs. Before is crusty goop and after is with betadyne treatment.
cache_2206344.jpeg

NatalyCy20

Yes I read this earlier and that's what got me worrying. I couldn't find much more on it apart from that one article so thought you guys were my safest bet. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated!

NatalyCy20

Looks like a mold infection to me

This is a t with a mold infection on the booklungs. Before is crusty goop and after is with betadyne treatment.View attachment 44659
Yes I read this earlier and that's what got me worrying. I couldn't find much more on it apart from that one article so thought you guys were my safest bet. Any advice you could give me would be appreciated!

Latest posts