• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pseudoclamoris gigas sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
And today is the day, Gillian is molting right now
IMG_20200611_195712.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Rehoused Gillian today, she was woefully immobilized in her old box

I used a catch cup, but the cup was larger than the enclosure and Gillian is a fiesty and nimble beastie, what was I to do?
Catch cup on enclosure.jpg

Simple, I fashioned a collar for her enclosure to close the gap between the larger cup and smaller enclosure
collar on enclosure.jpg

Then, I placed the cup over the collared enclosure and coaxed her out with a flexible plastic zip tie
catch cup shielded.jpg

Once in the cup, I placed it over the new enclosure and coaxed her into her new home with the flexible plastic zip tie and affixed the lid
Delivery time.jpg

Gillian is not happy, but she is home, and home is where the heart is.
A new home.jpg

Her most recent exo was left in the old enclosure. I don't think I can sex from it, sadly
exo left behind.jpg

Attachments

• catch cup collared.jpg
    catch cup collared.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 5

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I rehydrated her exo in "soapy water" overnight, works like a charm btw - tiniest drop of dish soap and let it soak
IMG_20200627_124532.jpg

She's a solid 2"+ here

Unfortunately, the molt was not in good enough shape to reliably sex from
S20200627_002.jpg

Ventrally however, she looks like a lady
IMG_20200627_080243.jpg

The 3 criteria are explained here, but I'm mostly using the position and angle of the anterior book lungs, distance between and angle off dorsal centerline. Males are closer to straight across, or 90° from the centerline, females are on about a 15-20° angle

Additionally the epigastric furrow is more curved on ladies, but from this angle that criteria is not decisive on it's own.

Fingers crossed she's a lady because P. gigas 2.0 appears male by comparison but he won't stay still for a picture... he's camera shy lol

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you see the hairs on the skin, just turn it around to the inside. You might see the area better for a spermatheca, or a missing one .

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Been a while since I updated this thread

Gillian recently molted and kicked her exo out, will confirm her sex but here's a quick pic before I rehouse her, and molt-sex confirm she is a she.
PXL_20210107_024952673.MP.jpg
PXL_20210107_024900738.MP.jpg

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
the Orange Tree Spider does prefer a bit more humidity than other species. About 70% humidity is recommended, and this is easy to monitor by using a simple hygrometer.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wtf do you know bonehead? ;)

our Gigas was smaller than this when he hooked so hopefully it’s female :)
I have 2 gigi (plural of gigas?) that are the same size. I cannot see hooks on either from any angle... might have two orange ladies

Last edited:

Latest posts