• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pseudoclamoris gigas sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Caught P. gigas out of it's stump hide today

P gigas out.jpg

As soon as I moved the enclosure to try and get a better pic, it bolted back into it's stump

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've seen P. gigas in the same spot several times and noticed it's starting to web between the stump and the side of the enclosure, just above the sub/moss.

IMG_20200409_060738.jpg

Sorry can't get a better pic of the webbing right now....

EDIT: feeding video link in next post!

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This feeding video is AWESOME!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZZR3myFa4p8WxpT7

3 days since last feeding.
The T popped it's legs out the moment the roach hit the substrate and started moving.

The roach started burying itself in moss but the T was focused and went right in after the roach and pulled it out on camera.

You can see the fangs going in and either venom leaking out of the right-hand fang, or roach-juice leaking out lol sorry it's not so clearly-focused after zooming in

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
This feeding video is AWESOME!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xZZR3myFa4p8WxpT7

3 days since last feeding.
The T popped it's legs out the moment the roach hit the substrate and started moving.

The roach started burying itself in moss but the T was focused and went right in after the roach and pulled it out on camera.

You can see the fangs going in and either venom leaking out of the right-hand fang, or roach-juice leaking out lol sorry it's not so clearly-focused after zooming in

That's a great take down!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Today was a relatively blah feeding day for me.

I had one baby cricket left that just molted so I decided to give it to Gillian, the gigas.

IMG_20200414_120045.jpg

The angle of the pic makes the cricket look bigger than it really is, but it was probably a touch larger, and different looking, than the last few food items Gillian was offered.

I waited a long time but the spider didn't charge the cricket like it did roaches. I had to go back to work, and while the cricket is no longer visible in the enclosure I did not see the take down.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gillian has not eaten during the last two feeding attempts and last time out looked super shiny and day in the back

She came out to drink (water dropped onto moss) a few days ago and then stuffed herself back into her stump hide. No pics, she'd kill me if I made her look fat.

Haven't seen her since. Expecting a molt soon.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I fed Gillian this morning a medium sized cricket this morning and retrieved her exo, she must have just purged it from her hide last night

I did not see her get the cricket but it's gone now lol

I got a new digital microscope and used it to get some cool shots of her exo

For size, next to a US dime
S20200518_016.jpg

Most of the exo
S20200518_011.jpg

Close up of chelicerae and fangs
S20200518_013.jpg

Close up of tarsus, look at all those micro "hairs"
S20200518_015.jpg

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Received the sling today. Yay!

Unboxing and rehoming from shipping vial to arboreal sling enclosure was actually easy
  • I put the prepped enclosure and the vial in a big bucket. lid off
  • Pulled the damp paper towel with the sling out of the vial
  • The sling bolted inside the bottom of the bucket and i put the lid of the enclosure over it
  • The sling climbed up the side of the lid
  • I lifted the lid with the sling inside it and placed it gently on the enclosure
DONE

Here are a few picsView attachment 44073View attachment 44074

Substrate is a mix of coco fiber coir and organic peat (not fake peat)
Bottom 3/8" is wettish
Rest is damp

There's a bunch of sphagnum moss on one side and a cork bark chunk glued to the side with silk leaf and angled stick with a starter burrow under the cork bark

The enclosure is in my micro climate with my other slings, ambient temp in there is between 74-80° F

I'll let it chillax for a few days and then try to feed it a pinhead B. lat

Could you tell me about your micro-climate? I need to make one for my slings. What do you use to keep those temperatures steady?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could you tell me about your micro-climate? I need to make one for my slings. What do you use to keep those temperatures steady?
Mine was simply a tank with a heat pad on one side wall but I abandoned it to heat the area instead. I used a plug in lamp dimmer to control the heat pad and a temperature controller to keep stable temps (turn heater off/on).

There are folks in colder climates that have heated cabinets or separate rooms that they keep at fixed temps all year round. Summer is almost here I and don't need an external heat source in So Cal.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gillian has been out since the 1st of June, I suspect she is too "phat" to make it into her stump hide at this point and she's feeling a little self conscious.

Yesterday she refused to acknowledge a 1/2" cricket in her enclosure so I pulled it out after a few hours. Normally she would have been on it within moments.

Today I noticed her near the ground, making a dirt curtain up against the stump and leaves.

IMG_20200608_172214.jpg
IMG_20200608_172244.jpg

Sorry not the best pics.

Wondering if I should re-home her now or wait for her to molt.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gillian has been out since the 1st of June, I suspect she is too "phat" to make it into her stump hide at this point and she's feeling a little self conscious.

Yesterday she refused to acknowledge a 1/2" cricket in her enclosure so I pulled it out after a few hours. Normally she would have been on it within moments.

Today I noticed her near the ground, making a dirt curtain up against the stump and leaves.

View attachment 46602View attachment 46601

Sorry not the best pics.

Wondering if I should re-home her now or wait for her to molt.
If I were you I would wait till she moults before moving.. It sounds like it's getting ready to shouldn't keep you waiting long hopefully :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pretty sure Gillian is going to molt in the next few days. She has constructed a dirt hide of sorts and is pretty inactive with a very plump and waxy looking booty

IMG_20200611_175243.jpg
IMG_20200611_175308.jpg

Latest posts