• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Proud new owner

Timmy G

3 Year Member
I am a proud new owner of a Chilean Rose Hair. This is my my first T and I am in love with her. Have had "Morticia" for a month now and just went through her first Molt. Glad to be a member of this Forum. Happy New Year everyone.

FB_IMG_1451712106263.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Timmy, welcome to the forum and a happy new year to you too. Just be warned, it is impossible to stick to 1 T, they're addictive.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby. What kind of substrate are you using? It looks like bark chips or coco husk? If so, I'd put her on something new before she star r s settling in. Bark chips can b e dangerous for tarantulas and invertebrates in general, not to mention very uncomfortable to rest or walk on. Put her on something softer like coco fiber, peat humus, or even top soil (just make sure it's pesticide and fertilizer free.)

Timmy G

3 Year Member
Welcome to the hobby. What kind of substrate are you using? It looks like bark chips or coco husk? If so, I'd put her on something new before she star r s settling in. Bark chips can b e dangerous for tarantulas and invertebrates in general, not to mention very uncomfortable to rest or walk on. Put her on something softer like coco fiber, peat humus, or even top soil (just make sure it's pesticide and fertilizer free.)

Jungle mix for and spagnum moss

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just for reference, bark chips are not safe for arachnids. I've stopped using jungle mix because it contains bark chips.

rénee

3 Year Member
I had the mistake of using coco husk for my G. Rosea, in fact she is still in it because when it was time i found out that coco husk is bad she was already in pre-molt and figured id wait till she is done, and has formed her new exoskeleton.

Well from my experience, is as Chubbs said, its awkward to rest on it seems, my girl has no way of burrowing if she wants to, and as i have heard also is that some wood chips could have sharper edges on them, therefore possibly injuring a T at some point(Not sure if this has happened, only heard about it). Not to mention the dust.. i find the substrate likes to static and cling on against the walls.

rénee

3 Year Member
Oh sorry and welcome to the forum! The G. Rosea was my first, then only a month later i got a A. Avic sling. I have a wish list so far of 7 more, but need to wait to move into a place that allows me to have pets ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am a proud new owner of a Chilean Rose Hair. This is my my first T and I am in love with her. Have had "Morticia" for a month now and just went through her first Molt. Glad to be a member of this Forum. Happy New Year everyone.

View attachment 13351
Welcome to the forum. Lovely looking spider :T:

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Why is that? Not arguing but curious?
Well they have sharp edges which can be dangerous, especially if the tarantula is climbing and falls, plus they don't allow for burrowing at all. The oils from cedar chips are toxic to invertebrates as well. While we have no way of being able to accurately measure this last thing, it's probably very uncomfortable for the spider to walk or sit on.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thanks guys assumed it would be uncomfortable, and cedar is a definite nono,
but didn't know if there was something there I was missing ^.~

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I've found after doing a bit of research on another thread cedar was mentioned in:

Cedrol is the, i guess you can say, active ingredient in cedar wood which repels insects. It's non toxic to humans and animals (has been reported to increase asthma symptoms in some though) but will kill insects. It's one of the faster growing natural insecticides on the market, commonly used in food service now and larger extermination companies are starting to offer it as it's easy to harvest from the large cedar plantations grown in numerous states. One of the most effective chemical free roach killers. So don't put your colonies in a cedar chest ;)

The aroma inhibits insect respiration with respiratory irritation, confuses and then causes full collapse of the nervous system after extended exposure, emulsifies the body fats, and causes dehydration.

exporuse to a mature T would be fatal in probably a few hours, a sling probably wouldn't last an hour.

Latest posts