• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria regalis Indian ornimental to get or not to get

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Poecilotheria aren't quite like any other genus. Like Chubbs said, they aren't very defensive like a C. lividus (Cobalt Blue). They're VERY fast, the fastest Ts around (teleportation, pretty much), and have pretty bad bites. Keeping calm is the key with them, and any T.

As for care, they're a pretty hardy genus. Just keep them well ventilated, and in an arboreal setup with a hide that digs into the substrate so they can burrow. They're tropical, but too many people make the mistake of keeping them too damp. Don't keep the substrate too damp or they will refuse to eat, especially slings. Some light misting or dampening of one section of the substrate, and a water dish will suffice. They're not hard to care for, they're just not easy to deal with.

I would actually say there are a few that are faster than Pokies. H.maculata and S.calceatum being two of them. Based off of everything I've been told and from personal experience Tapinauchenius are widely considered the fastest of all tarantulas. In my experience these will make even Pokies look slow. Personally I find Pokies easy to deal with, I have New Worlds that give me more trouble when rehousing, like my P.irminia. I agree though that Poecilotheria are pretty easy to care for, they are very hardy.

micheldied

3 Year Member
I would actually say there are a few that are faster than Pokies. H.maculata and S.calceatum being two of them. Based off of everything I've been told and from personal experience Tapinauchenius are widely considered the fastest of all tarantulas. In my experience these will make even Pokies look slow. Personally I find Pokies easy to deal with, I have New Worlds that give me more trouble when rehousing, like my P.irminia. I agree though that Poecilotheria are pretty easy to care for, they are very hardy.

I totally forgot about S. calceatum and the Tapps, but I've never owned either. I've never met a (compared to Pokie) fast H. maculata though, and most guys I know who have them disprove the idea of them being that fast.

I think what makes Pokies more difficult to rehouse is their willingness to bolt out of their enclosures. Most OW species I've had that are known to be very fast and defensive are really reluctant to leave their enclosures, making it pretty easy to just move the stuff around them and putting a container over them. Pokies gladly leave their homes.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
Avicularia are the best starter arboreal. If you want something a bit faster and with a bit more attitude, Iridopelma or Psalmopoeus are great. Psalmopoeus venom is strong by new world standards, but not medically significant like many old worlds. They do not have urticating hairs, so they behave much like an old world arboreal.
I agree with this 100%

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I totally forgot about S. calceatum and the Tapps, but I've never owned either. I've never met a (compared to Pokie) fast H. maculata though, and most guys I know who have them disprove the idea of them being that fast.

I think what makes Pokies more difficult to rehouse is their willingness to bolt out of their enclosures. Most OW species I've had that are known to be very fast and defensive are really reluctant to leave their enclosures, making it pretty easy to just move the stuff around them and putting a container over them. Pokies gladly leave their homes.
In my experience pokies are more predictable than H.maculata. pokies tend to just run right into their hides While an H.maculata If caught out in the open tends to panic and will bolt upwards in any direction. I've only once had a near escape with a pokie and that's because It was my first old world and I did something stupid when rehousing it, since frankly I had no idea what I was doing. I've had quite a few H.macs nearly escape on me ,and this was after quite a few years of dealing with old worlds. Like I said I just find them to be less predictable than pokies, and they can easily keep pace with them in terms of speed. I definitely find pokies to be a bit more manageable, although I am more cautious around some like P.ornata and P.fasciata.

kroogur

3 Year Member
When i was ready to get into arboreal T's i started with A.Avic then moved on to P. Cambridgei (as others have mentioned this is a great T) then I sidestepped to a P. Murinus to get used to something with more of a "disagreeable" temperament then moved on to pokies.
I started with P.Vittata and now have a P.Regalis as well, I can say my Vittata is very skittish but have not seen a threat pose yet and the Regalis seems about the same, they are great looking T's and I have no regrets getting them.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I absolutely love all my arboreals. They are so different than the terrestrials I have, and just love the differences in appearance.
I have a P metallica, P ornata, P vittata, and P cambridgei. They eat, move and grow fast. What more could u want?

micheldied

3 Year Member
In my experience pokies are more predictable than H.maculata. pokies tend to just run right into their hides While an H.maculata If caught out in the open tends to panic and will bolt upwards in any direction. I've only once had a near escape with a pokie and that's because It was my first old world and I did something stupid when rehousing it, since frankly I had no idea what I was doing. I've had quite a few H.macs nearly escape on me ,and this was after quite a few years of dealing with old worlds. Like I said I just find them to be less predictable than pokies, and they can easily keep pace with them in terms of speed. I definitely find pokies to be a bit more manageable, although I am more cautious around some like P.ornata and P.fasciata.

Every H. maculata I've met has been pretty chill. Although, I find Pokies pretty easy to deal with as well. I've only had one T escape, and it was a P. regalis that I was trying to pack up for sale. It didn't get too far, but it got there very quickly.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's just a bit jarring to me lol. This is honestly the first time I've heard anyone say that they had a chill H.maculata. Not that I don't believe you, it's just that every person I know of who has kept them has said otherwise. I've actually yet to meet an H.maculata that I was not completely nuts. Much like a pokie, they'd rather run than bite in my experience, they usually only get defensive when you mess with their hides. The venom is considered by most to be at least on par with pokie venom, and many sources seem to suggest that it's worse even. One thing that is interesting is that H.maculata seems to be one of the slower growing old world arboreals. Even S.calceatum, being somewhat related, definitely grows a lot quicker. I mean, they're definitely not slow-growing as in like Brachypelma or many of the longer lived New World terrestrials, but they don't grow like weeds the way some other baboons do. I'd say their growth rate is more on the medium side.

micheldied

3 Year Member
That's just a bit jarring to me lol. This is honestly the first time I've heard anyone say that they had a chill H.maculata. Not that I don't believe you, it's just that every person I know of who has kept them has said otherwise. I've actually yet to meet an H.maculata that I was not completely nuts. Much like a pokie, they'd rather run than bite in my experience, they usually only get defensive when you mess with their hides. The venom is considered by most to be at least on par with pokie venom, and many sources seem to suggest that it's worse even. One thing that is interesting is that H.maculata seems to be one of the slower growing old world arboreals. Even S.calceatum, being somewhat related, definitely grows a lot quicker. I mean, they're definitely not slow-growing as in like Brachypelma or many of the longer lived New World terrestrials, but they don't grow like weeds the way some other baboons do. I'd say their growth rate is more on the medium side.

Here's a friend of mine handling his old girl. I've heard that about their venom as well.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's a friend of mine handling his old girl. I've heard that about their venom as well.

Not to sound like a jerk here, but I'm not gonna comment on the video. Everyone here knows my view on handling species with medically significant venom. I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to be insulting to you or your friend, I'm sure that he/she is a great person, but to me that is just a reckless and stupid thing to do. I'm not trying to start a handling debate either. We agree to disagree about the behavior/temperament of this species. That's all I can say.

micheldied

3 Year Member
Not to sound like a jerk here, but I'm not gonna comment on the video. Everyone here knows my view on handling species with medically significant venom. I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to be insulting to you or your friend, I'm sure that he/she is a great person, but to me that is just a reckless and stupid thing to do. I'm not trying to start a handling debate either. We agree to disagree about the behavior/temperament of this species. That's all I can say.

I definitely agree that it's stupid and pointless. So does he. But sometimes we do things that are stupid and reckless for fun. I've always said that handling is pointless and risky, but I've done it myself on occasion (almost exclusively during rehousing though).
I don't disagree with you about their behavior, I was only speaking from personal experience. I'm sure their notoriety must come from somewhere.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Arboreals are still pretty out of my sights yet. Please share some more guys. :D

Latest posts