• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria regalis Indian ornimental to get or not to get

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Hey guys I'm thinking about adding a Indian ornimental to My collection just wanted to learn more about them from keepers who's had experience with this genus? Temperment enclosures ect.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have three (a mature male and female I raised from a slings and another sling). Out of the species of Poecilotheria I keep, mine have been very well behaved. I would say that next to my P. vittata, they are the "calmest" of my pokies. Still, they are fast, skittish, and can really boogie when spooked, so I'm always quite careful when feeding or performing maintenance.. I usually just tap the enclosures before open them, and the majority will either scramble to hide or hunker down, likely in an attempt to use their natural camouflage.

As slings, I kept mine in 32 oz plastic containers that offered good cross ventilation and some height (they are arboreal). As slings, they would burrow a bit and use web and dirt to make little "dirt curtain" hides. Although I put in pieces of small cork bark flats leaned against the side of the container at an angle, they would hide under these and not sit on them. I would moisten the sub occasionally and keep a water dish in the enclosure at all times. Kept in the 70s, they always ate well and grew fairly fast. My male matured out in about 16 months or so. The female, about two years.

Because this species grows fast and can be a bit of a pain to rehouse, I put them in their adult enclosures when they were about 3" or so. I use the Sterilite plastic bins meant for hanging files. They are probably around 6 gallons or so. I'll put in about 3" or sub, a cork bark flat leaned at an angle, a water dish, and a plastic plant. Even when smaller, they have no problems finding prey as they grown into their homes. For pokies, I like enclosures that open from the top as I've noticed when they do get spooked and bolt, they tend to run around the outside. This enclosure also gives me plenty of room to work when I perform maintenance. As adults, mine have been eating a larger dubia roach or medium hisser once a week. Mine are fantastic display spiders, always sitting right out in the open either on the side of the tank or on their cork bark.

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Yeah I really want a arboreal tarantula and this species is gorgeous I am torn between the Indian and the gooty sapphire ornamental a shop near me has both in stock

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Only you can really determine whether or not it's the right tarantula for you. Are you comfortable with extremely fast-moving species? Is speed or venom a concern to you? Do you live alone or with other people? Are these people aware of the venom potency of the animal you're acquiring? Do you have children or pets in the house? Are you able to remain calm in the event that the spider makes a run for it? All of these are important questions to ask yourself when thinking of purchasing a species like this. Pokies are not defensive tarantulas, 99 percent of the time they'll run when spooked. The speed and venom are what make them an advanced species.

Joe williams

3 Year Member
The speed doesn't bother me or the venom to much and I live with my gf and she isn't to fussed as long as they don't get out. it's more of the how to keep them as this would be my first arboreal species are there any less fast and venomous species that are as pretty that you could recommend ?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The speed doesn't bother me or the venom to much and I live with my gf and she isn't to fussed as long as they don't get out. it's more of the how to keep them as this would be my first arboreal species are there any less fast and venomous species that are as pretty that you could recommend ?

One of the Avicularia species would be a nice start. A. versicolor are quite beautiful.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avicularia are the best starter arboreal. If you want something a bit faster and with a bit more attitude, Iridopelma or Psalmopoeus are great. Psalmopoeus venom is strong by new world standards, but not medically significant like many old worlds. They do not have urticating hairs, so they behave much like an old world arboreal.

Joe williams

3 Year Member
I've got the attitude covered with my covalt blue although she's being quite calm at the moment with my temperment testing it's almost as is she would let me pick her up I can touch her front legs with no reaction other that moving away but I still am not ballsy enough to handle her lol. I think I might seek out a versicolor I completely forgot about that species and rob c tarantula guy comes to mind in the videos of his one and I remember it being gorgeous thanks again guys :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've got the attitude covered with my covalt blue although she's being quite calm at the moment with my temperment testing it's almost as is she would let me pick her up I can touch her front legs with no reaction other that moving away but I still am not ballsy enough to handle her lol. I think I might seek out a versicolor I completely forgot about that species and rob c tarantula guy comes to mind in the videos of his one and I remember it being gorgeous thanks again guys :)

They are a wonderful species that go through amazing color changes as they mature. Here's my girl:

Joe williams

3 Year Member
Great video such a beautiful spider and can you keep a adult in that sort of enclosure and how big do they get as mature adults ?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Great video such a beautiful spider and can you keep a adult in that sort of enclosure and how big do they get as mature adults ?

Thanks! They get about 5-6" (mine is currently around 4"). She'll be getting rehoused very soon into a tank that is about 5 gallons. She's one of my favorite display Ts, so I'm looking into a nice acrylic arboreal enclosure for her.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

micheldied

3 Year Member
Poecilotheria aren't quite like any other genus. Like Chubbs said, they aren't very defensive like a C. lividus (Cobalt Blue). They're VERY fast, the fastest Ts around (teleportation, pretty much), and have pretty bad bites. Keeping calm is the key with them, and any T.

As for care, they're a pretty hardy genus. Just keep them well ventilated, and in an arboreal setup with a hide that digs into the substrate so they can burrow. They're tropical, but too many people make the mistake of keeping them too damp. Don't keep the substrate too damp or they will refuse to eat, especially slings. Some light misting or dampening of one section of the substrate, and a water dish will suffice. They're not hard to care for, they're just not easy to deal with.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What? Illegal to sell tarantulas? What state are you in?

Connecticut. It's illegal to sell venomous invertebrates, including tarantulas, in stores and at conventions. None of our Petco or Petsmart stores, or any pet store I've ever been to, carry tarantulas. Since the late 90s, I had to go to reptile expos or pet stores in neighboring Massachusetts if I wanted to buy tarantulas in person.

They actually almost banned them completely in 2009 after the chimp attack. There was legislation almost passed that would ban ALL exotic pets.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Connecticut. It's illegal to sell venomous invertebrates, including tarantulas, in stores and at conventions. None of our Petco or Petsmart stores, or any pet store I've ever been to, carry tarantulas. Since the late 90s, I had to go to reptile expos or pet stores in neighboring Massachusetts if I wanted to buy tarantulas in person.

They actually almost banned them completely in 2009 after the chimp attack. There was legislation almost passed that would ban ALL exotic pets.
That's incredible. Talk about knee jerk reactions..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Believe me, I know it! The best part is, supposedly ferrets, sugar gliders, lizards, and just about anything not dog or cat would have been banned because of it.
The fact that I gave a bitter laugh at that just goes to show how I feel about my government. I don't even get mad anymore. Besides, the mindless mob of our fellow Americans is no different. Sad but true.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
If u want a starter arboreal, a P cambridgei is an amazing choice. Beautiful, still super fast enuff, but not teleport fast.....and not as skittish as the pokies, which can get ur blood pumping if u have to rehouse or do cleanings, etc. I personally am not "afraid" of much, so I went right to pokies and avics at the same time. As long as ur careful, level headed and respect the buggers, ul be fine.

Latest posts