• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pandemic!!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
My wife worked Friday & Saturday nights this last weekend. She is a mental Health Liaison Nurse at the local General Hospital. A big part of her role is making assessments of patients with mental health needs, or potential needs, in A & E.

She said A & E was incredibly quiet this weekend. Normally they spend the night, especially weekend nights, accepting referrals for later assessments, or saying we cannot see them, or currently accept them, as they have drugs in their system or because they have a blood alcohol level that is too high for them to make informed decisions & thus for her to make an informed assessment of them.

Not talking about mental health, but people with the type of minor ailments that tend to clog up A&E on weekends (including people who couldn't see a Gp during the week + then decide they will die before Monday if they don't see a doctor NOW!!) have wised up to the fact that hospital is a horrible place to go if you want to stay well, cos that's where all the Corona cases are sent.

A lot are avoiding pubs and parties too (though not all, certainly not my lovely next door neighbour who was hammered last night and just back from the pub when I bumped into him), and therefore avoiding the drunken situations that land them in A&E.

Ive enjoyed people watching at work today. I agree that the panic is bringing out the worse in some people and me and my team members have all had to bite our tongues when some twat has had a go at us in work like we have any control over this. What I've found interesting is the distance people give each other in the queues. Noone wants to get too close.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Yed definitely lot of people are on edge atm.Went to get some cat food from local supermarket arround 10 am.Massive queues.I got bored like you do in lond queues and fake sneezed as loud as I can.
Every single person on that checkouts turned towards me at once and stood still like the time stopped for a few seconds
Before they moved away from me.lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Yed definitely lot of people are on edge atm.Went to get some cat food from local supermarket arround 10 am.Massive queues.I got bored like you do in lond queues and fake sneezed as loud as I can.
Every single person on that checkouts turned towards me at once and stood still like the time stopped for a few seconds

As an ex smoker I can still pull off a convincing chesty sounding cough, and I've been tempted myself!

E

ExMember

Did 100 people **** themselves?
As an ex smoker I can still pull off a convincing chesty sounding cough, and I've been tempted myself!
As a current almost 2 pack a day guy I would probably instill a lot of panic!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20200320_150503.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I actually saw a woman in a face mask today. Bit weird. Not something u expect to see in the UK. Loads of people have bought them from my store (we've always sold them) but I'm sure none of those people are brave enough to go walking around in them lol

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
We've got loads of suitcases for sale near the tills + every day customers joke that I'm not going to sell many of them this year (if I had £1 for everytime this is said to me). I joke back that they make great storage for all this extra loo roll......

We've had to put signs up basically telling customers to behave themselves and stop abusing staff, because some of them have been appallingly awful. None of us want to be in work putting up with this crap, and people are already ringing in sick or self isolating, so we are under staffed and working lots of extra hours. Great for my bank account, not so great for my sanity!!

E

ExMember

Actually we have five cats and two rotties and they all get along great. She (the cat) walks around the house as if she is the big boss telling everyone, hey if you have a problem then talk to the muscle.

Dogs learn fast when it comes to cats generally. Obviously some exceptions ;)

I had this cat Beverly 20 years ago. Tiny little cobby calico. Must have weighed 8 pounds. When my friend brought his rottie over it licked her and she whooped his butt! She also had kittens at the time so she was protective. It was hilarious to see her chase this giant dog into his kennel. And at night Bev and the kittens slept on top of the dogs kennel too :)

Bev ruled the roost for 12 years with an iron paw. Smallest cat in a house with 4 cats and no one would mess with her. Also used to sleep on everyone. Before I got her you would see her sleeping on horses :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Time for more doom + gloom from your friendly Pandemic OP!!

My local hospital has had its 1st Covid death, but God knows how many it is currently treating. This is only a mile away from work, and where I've had all my medical emergencies/operations and where my daughter was born. So it does bring it home (hopefully I won't bring the virus home lol)

To top it off, my partner cleaned a lady's windows today and it turned out she was self isolating. She basically threw the money out of the door and talked through the door to him. He said she sounded really unwell + full up with the flu. Now it may just be flu, but it could also be Covid, as this thing is spreading like wildfire!

A lot of my team members today were either close to tears, or feeling angry and ready to snap. Trying to keep everyone's spirits up but I feel the same - annoyed at putting myself at risk daily with 100's of customers piling into the shop and breathing on me. The whole point of the government telling everyone to work from home, was so they'd stay at home. Now they are out daily buying unessential crap with their kids in tow because they're bored. If people only went shopping for absolute essentials at the moment there would be much less foot traffic, and retail workers could keep themselves safer, plus clean hard surfaces that customers have to touch, more regularly, which would protect everyone. You can't run off to wash hands or wipe down the debit card pinpad when you have a queue.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

My local hospital has had its 1st Covid death, but God knows how many it is currently treating. This is only a mile away from work, and where I've had all my medical emergencies/operations and where my daughter was born. So it does bring it home (hopefully I won't bring the virus home lol)

To top it off, my partner cleaned a lady's windows today and it turned out she was self isolating. She basically threw the money out of the door and talked through the door to him. He said she sounded really unwell + full up with the flu. Now it may just be flu, but it could also be Covid, as this thing is spreading like wildfire!

A lot of my team members today were either close to tears, or feeling angry and ready to snap. Trying to keep everyone's spirits up but I feel the same - annoyed at putting myself at risk daily with 100's of customers piling into the shop and breathing on me. The whole point of the government telling everyone to work from home, was so they'd stay at home. Now they are out daily buying unessential crap with their kids in tow because they're bored. If people only went shopping for absolute essentials at the moment there would be much less foot traffic, and retail workers could keep themselves safer, plus clean hard surfaces that customers have to touch, more regularly, which would protect everyone. You can't run off to wash hands or wipe down the debit card pinpad when you have a queue.
Sounds terrible. Stay safe huni

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Heard a Dr. on TV say to have inner peace we should always finish things we start and we all could use more calm in our lives. I looked through my house to find things I’d started and hadn’t finished, so I finished off a bottle of Merlot, a bottle of Chardonnay, a bodle of Baileys, a butle of wum, tha mainder of Valiumun srciptuns, an a box a chocletz. Yu haf no idr how feckin fablus I feel rite now. Sned this to all who need inner piss. An telum u luvum.

E

ExMember

:( :( :(

Just don't touch your face when you have a long line. Shouldn't your company make hand sanitizer available to everyone working with the public?