• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Hobby

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes! I agree, OBT's are NOT beginner tarantulas.

I started with an OBT and no I wouldn't recommend it as a beginner T but then I wouldn't dissuade anyone from buying one as long as they know what they are capable of. My first one I got as a Juvi and she was more timid than aggressive. I always made sure I knew where she was before opening her container. I now have both a Usambara and a Tete, both reared from slings and they are following the same way, both will run and hide rather than stand and attack.

Avicularia Kael

While that theory may hold some truth, I still think it's best to get something better for a beginner.
I am a horse owner and I would never suggest a beginner to " Do research" and go out and buy a Thoroughbred stallion.
If you have done a few months to a years worth of research I think the average person would be fine starting with whatever T they want though.

Latest posts