• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the Hobby

Taraspatula

Hi everyone on Tarantula Forum, please to meet y'all!

As the title says I am very new to the hobby but I have always had a fascination with tarantulas. While others, like my girl friend who is arachnophobic, feared these little guys I wanted to handle them. When I say my girlfriend is arachnophobic I am not over exaggerating, she once ran out of a room frantically making me think a mass murderer was chasing her but it was just because of a baby spider the size of a dot crawled next to her. I finally loosened her up and convinced her to get me a sling last Sunday (May 4th, 2019). I told her she should conquer her fears by helping me raise one from a sling, maybe you'll grow to like him/her. Little did she or I know we were getting one of the more intermediate level tarantula.

We ended up getting a Pterinochilus murinus also know as Orange Baboon tarantula in a local pet shop. I fell in love with the color of a mature adult after googling an image of an "OBT" not knowing the dangers. We further did more research and are up to the challenge. He is currently about an 1" living in a cylinder plastic bottle filled up to 70% cocofiber substrate with top air flow and cross air flow. Also I use a heating mat that I turn on and off to simulate heat/cold but normal temp is usaually room temperature (Lowest 60 degreees - highest 75 degrees). I just feed him pinhead crickets.

If you guys have any advice for someone new please do not be afraid to share them or personally send me a message! P.S. I felt bad for Obi being alone so four days later i bought a Grammostola pulchra sling but he/she is a lot more bigger about 2" but that'll be a different story to tell.

Here's Obi
ADZCK4k.jpg

Enclosure
ZFXzz5u.jpg

Taraspatula

View attachment 37261 Lol, that's not what I would call an intermediate tarantula. Most of the hobby would say that's upper level advanced, but that and harpactira pulchirpes where my first. I've been a tarantula dad for 3 weeks now. Here's my enclosure. Also, welcome to the group.

Thanks for the welcome and congrats on the three weeks so awesome! I want to get that species next. As soon as I figure how to purchase slings online from a reputable place.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Taraspatula Hello and welcome :)
Fear not, I too bought an OBT as my 1st tarantula and survived. In my opinion they're not as bad as their reputation suggests and are much more likely to run and hide than attack.
One tip is when you rehouse it, use less substrate in a tall container and you will find your OBT is more arboreal than terrestrial.

Taraspatula

@Taraspatula Hello and welcome :)
Fear not, I too bought an OBT as my 1st tarantula and survived. In my opinion they're not as bad as their reputation suggests and are much more likely to run and hide than attack.
One tip is when you rehouse it, use less substrate in a tall container and you will find your OBT is more arboreal than terrestrial.

That’s so cool, exactly why I joined the forums to here peoples advice and experiences! Thanks so much, any other tips?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi and welcome:)
congratulations on getting your OBT...I love them too..
on reading your post you mention using a heat mat...im sure many members on here will agree that heat mats are not required in most instances as Ts are happy enough at room temperature...
and please if possible refrain from any sort of handling of your T,especially with it being an OBT its not advised to handle any T as they may fall and get injured or die or you yourself may get bitten...I always love to look but don't touch:)

Taraspatula

Hi and welcome:)
congratulations on getting your OBT...I love them too..
on reading your post you mention using a heat mat...im sure many members on here will agree that heat mats are not required in most instances as Ts are happy enough at room temperature...
and please if possible refrain from any sort of handling of your T,especially with it being an OBT its not advised to handle any T as they may fall and get injured or die or you yourself may get bitten...I always love to look but don't touch:)

So heres my dilemma about the heating pad. I sweat very easy so when summer comes I just thought it'd be okay to put them under a heating pad because my room will be around 60 degrees but with the heating pad it'll increase the temp about 10-20 degrees higher depending on the enclosure.

Or should I just completely put them in a different room? Thanks again in advance

Hello and welcome to the forum @Taraspatula! Everyone is super friendly here, all while offering some awesome advice.
Congratulations on your new babies I’m sure in no time you’ll be buying a few more as word of warning this hobby is addictive

Thank you! How did you know?! I've been dying to get more slings. I just want to see them grow even though it's a long process. Any recommendations? I like the unique colorful T's. Thinking about H. pulpchripes sling! or maybe GBB sling?

T-Baby

3 Year Member
[QUOTE="Thank you! How did you know?! I've been dying to get more slings. I just want to see them grow even though it's a long process. Any recommendations? I like the unique colorful T's. Thinking about H. pulpchripes sling! or maybe GBB sling?[/QUOTE]

We’re all addicted to it here, really this forum should be for the Tarantulaholics!
Growing is a long process even when it’s as soon as a year but watching them grow is the most exciting part, when you get your first moult it’s like Christmas. Adults don’t moult very often.. that’s the downside.
Caribena Versicolor is a stunning Tarantula one of the ones to be beautiful throughout its whole lifespan.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown is the best person to explain to you about temperatures....he sure knows his stuff;)
tarantulas bury themselves to get away from the heat so placing a heat pad under any enclosure is a bad idea-if you really have to use one its recommended to place it on the side of the enclosure -but out of preference don't use one at all:)

Taraspatula

[QUOTE="We’re all addicted to it here, really this forum should be for the Tarantulaholics!
Growing is a long process even when it’s as soon as a year but watching them grow is the most exciting part, when you get your first moult it’s like Christmas. Adults don’t moult very often.. that’s the downside.
Caribena Versicolor is a stunning Tarantula one of the ones to be beautiful throughout its whole lifespan.
I can't wait to see their first moult! I am truly a fool, how did I forget about the C. Versicolor! Definitely next sling

Taraspatula

@Arachnoclown is the best person to explain to you about temperatures....he sure knows his stuff;)
tarantulas bury themselves to get away from the heat so placing a heat pad under any enclosure is a bad idea-if you really have to use one its recommended to place it on the side of the enclosure -but out of preference don't use one at all:)

Oh no I completely understand. I think ill be taking them off the pad :D

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
now where is that @Shampain video when you need it? Should be the first thing anybody sees when you go to the bite report section LOL. The guy is a legend!

Oh dear!! You mentioned the dreaded video, which I have a link to.

Just be careful. Notice how the OBT attempted to reason with his owner briefly, kinda reminds me of those videos where a cop kicks a punk's butt after being warned, force level -- yellow ;)

My H pulchripes matured out because he was a male. Mine was a fast tarantula but not at all a mean spider.

H pulchripes Hybris hiding 1.jpg

H pulchripes.

Latest posts