• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition to the family

tapkoote

3 Year Member
I've gone to using dirt from my yard. I sift out the rocks and sticks and bake it in the oven.
I even tried rocks for an aquarium on my first T. He liked them so much he moved them into his hide. But the folks on another forum freaked out... they were too sharp and would kill him. BS, I did take them out, now days I wouldn't.

Jkeegan2525

Hey everyone!

So, had an interesting thing happen last night at work. I work at a pet store so I get to interact with pet owners of all kinds all the time. Well, this mom came in to get crickets and started asking if anyone wanted a tarantula or knew if someone did. I got pulled into the conversation and, well, now I have a new friend lol. From what I gathered the T was her daughter's. Supposedly it "lunged" at the daughter and that was the end of having a tarantula. I could tell it was the mom freaking and not the daughter cause she was really broken up about having to get rid of her pet. ANYWAY! No one cares about that part lol. So, I now have a rose hair. They didn't tell (probably didn't know) the species but my guess Grammostola rosea. That's a slightly educated guess, like, ten minutes of google searching educated. They said it was about four years old so probably full grown? They gave me the ten gallon aquarium it was in, hide, water dish, and bag of eco-earth so that's cool. I tried to get it set up as best I could but I still need to learn a bit more about these guys to make sure. They had it set up on aspen bedding, like you'd use for a snake. I'm not an expert but I've never seen that recommended for a T.
I hadn't planned on getting another T other than my LP so I haven't really researched the care of other species all that much yet. I know a lot of rules apply to all but still. Anyway, I'm rambling. Here are a few pictures I took. At some point I want to set up something a bit fancier but this basic home should do for now. If there are any Rosy fans out there that have any species specific tips lay them on me!

P.S. This is the most chill T. If it did threaten anyone it must have been in a really foul mood cause I had to poke it with a brush forever to get it into a catch cup so I could clean it's enclosure. It really did not care lol.
View attachment 36443 View attachment 36444 View attachment 36445

I’m no professional but I know a rosea when I see one and that definitely is one

Arachnoscholar

Lol I was just starting to wonder why i hadnt seen the post come through thinking there maybe wouldnt be one and i had assumed wrong, Then I saw my notifications were off and it had been there without seeing it! Patience paid off with careful deliberation yet again it would seem. My G-porterii is still a juvenile, but a female for sure after its last molt, but otherwise definitely looks the same species in the picture with only a few gaining silver/rose colored hairs to a vast extent! They are a great long living species for either gender that's also quite a random, lucky coincidence you were able to aquire there so congratulations! That Luke's like some Brazilian redhead adults I've seen slightly too I agree, but usually the colors are more intense where that (if is the brazilian redhead) seems to be more dull then usuall. The tank is a hefty setup for sure for that species, so I wouldn't be suprised if it picked a place to stand most of the time to stand fast. Besides that I'm not going to clown around with any misguided opinions not wanting anything to be inaccurate! I will say though from the research I've done that biologically the grammostola rose hairs do have different color forms, and G-porterii is one of them. And much like the trinidad olive and (Gold color form) I've read reports claiming they can come from the same eggsac being about the same biologically, and scientifically they believe they are all the same besides certain genomes that cause shifts in color that typically pairing with others of the same colors will make it be like we know it as having all the young come out that way as a particular species. Dogs are very similar with breeding new domesticated species wich came to mind with the "mutt" comment lol. But that in itself says it all for show dogs. Bred for looks, easily trained and controlled, and otherwise made week for anything besides being used for whatever intended purpose they had specifically. Lol you throw a pure bred pooch to the elements without a groomer, food dish, and comfy pillow living conditions with people to clean up after them, feed and care for them, and a wolf hybrid might not even consider it worthy enough to try to eat lol! A ****zue may win best in show looking good on a can of pet food, but in the wilderness probably won't stand a chance on its own for long! Yet another reason I love analysing the arachnids with how interesting their evolutionary factors specialize them to every enviroment besides the artic wich is kind of a given really. But as far as ancient evolutionary heightened creatures that have not only survived the ages not having to change much in all that time they are some at the top of the list that also happen to play a pinnacle role in the giant biological machine that is our world. Very happy to catch this thread post!

Arachnoscholar

It was purchased as a Grammostola rosea...I rescued him from Petco.
What did they charge for it, and at what age/size? I do know there are a handful of color variants for the G-rosea's that might take it's colors more in that direction. But to me it definitely looks like a different genus. One I heard alot about getting sold by petco awhile back was the peruvian orange stripe wich is a Lasiordora I think. I read alot about those being mislabeled as the therophosa goliaths, but still get quite large. Besides that I can only say I've gotten 2 exotics from any petco stores in the past. 1 is my juvinile emporer scorpion at a lucky price, and my brachypelma hamorrii/Smith sling that was before the major price drop they had so it was the 1st expensive tarantula I bought. Having grown a bunch despite how slow most brachypelma grow, it is definitely a stunning female juvenile now so i dont really have any regrets on buying it. Usually I only hear of them carrying brachypelma albopilosum curly hairs, or Aphonopelma seemani zebra leg tarantulas wich I rarely meet a hobbyist who doesn't have those being pretty much the most common, cheap, and begginer friendly tarantulas for sale in the U.S. lol.

Latest posts